It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Poll: Bush's Spending Priorities Not in Line with Americans'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
A recent poll has shown that many Americans are at odds with President Bush's budget. When given a change to look at the proposed budget and make changes, about two thirds of those surveys directed funds at reducing the budget deficit. The poll was taken by Program on International Policy Attitudes at the University of Maryland. Other areas that would be cut included defense spending as well as money earmarked for Iraq and Afghanistan operations.

story.news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON, D.C., Mar 8 (OneWorld) - The American people would like to significantly change next year's federal budget, reversing key proposals by the administration of President George W. Bush, according to a new poll.

Given the chance to look at and make changes to the major areas of Bush's proposed discretionary budget for fiscal year 2006, which begins on Oct. 1, 2005, around two-thirds redirected money to reduce the budget deficit, said the poll released Monday by the Program on International Policy Attitudes (PIPA).

''The American public as a whole takes a fairly coherent position. They favor redirecting a portion of defense spending to deficit reduction and social spending and look for savings by cutting spending on large-scale Cold War style capabilities,'' said PIPA director Steven Kull.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The poll was a pretty small sample of only 1182 people and methodology was not revealed. However, as with any polls, the questions and how they are worded have an impact on the responses you get as well. Defense spending on research and new systems should remain a priority as they not only defend our country and its interests, but they also prime the pump in the form of civilian sector trickle downs.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
WOW!

''The American public as a whole takes a fairly coherent position. They favor redirecting a portion of defense spending to deficit reduction and social spending and look for savings by cutting spending on large-scale Cold War style capabilities,'' said PIPA director Steven Kull. "

This is astounding and IMO, fairly wonderful. Talk about a mandate. WOW!

Yah yah I know it's just a small poll. But still!

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Be kind of interesting if the government would listen to us when something like that comes up. Sorry, I'm not a rabble rouser, as it were, nor a revolutionary, but it is my considere opinion tha the government doesn't always know best.

Er ... That would be liberal as well as conservative.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
ya, unfortunately they'd(the current administration) probably cut defense spending by rationing the bullets they give out to the troops!!!
SO, let's not get too eager here, okay??

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
ya, unfortunately they'd(the current administration) probably cut defense spending by rationing the bullets they give out to the troops!!!
SO, let's not get too eager here, okay??

I tend to agree, but man! When we talk about budgets ... We talk in terms of billions of dollars. There has to be a limit somewhere. Not to the troops, I agree, but I can't imagine that all of that is more important than people who live in poverty here in the US, people who have been unemployed long enough to fall out of the ratings and are therefore, invisible with little or no releif in sight.

We send "billions" elsewhere and are letting this country fall apart in some really needful places.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I'm sure this was a result predestined by the wording of the poll. If you ask people "would you like to reduce the deficit" I'm sure most people would answer yes. To dig deeper, you must carefully word the questions in an unbiased way.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Actually my husband works with a very hard die pro Republican crowd, and they have been concerns about the deficit and why nothing has been done to help fix it.

I guess they don't understand that you can not spend indefinitely without putting money in the pot.

[edit on 9-3-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
In the thoughtful words of Homer Simpson, "Doh!"

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
And what pray tell is a good number to use for RANDOM sampling? Gallup typically runs polls with about 500 samples or so. At a certain point you are only going to be decresing the margin of error by less then a percent. i think 1000 is the standered for an "Offical poll" I am not statitician. But it is interesting how some might dismiss such overwhelming margins based on low number of samples

Your mandate has left the building

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Hell, just a tiny cut in the defense budget to redirect to debt and homeland use would make a significant impact. And we would still be outspending the world militarily by far.

Carburetor

top topics

join