It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Lebanon May Reinstate Pro-Syria PM

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Despite resigning only last week, Lebanon's pro-Syrian prime minister Omar Karami, received over half the votes needed to win his position back. He is now a virtual shoe in to be asked to form a new government in Lebanon. Leaders of the opposition did not submit a candidate and instead maintained their position that Syria must withdrawal completely from Lebanon.

story.news.yahoo.com
BEIRUT, Lebanon - Lebanon's pro-Syrian prime minister, who was forced to resign last week by opposition protests, was virtually assured of being asked to form the next government after a majority of lawmakers backed him Wednesday.

An unofficial count gave Omar Karami more than half the votes in the 128-member legislature. A formal announcement by President Emile Lahoud, who consulted with legislators, may be made as early as Wednesday night or Thursday.

By early evening, 70 of the 78 legislators — most of them government loyalists — who met with Lahoud advised him to restore Karami, according the legislators as they left the presidential palace.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The chess game is afoot. No doubt Assad has regained some of the control that had seem to be lost over the last few weeks. The Hesbollah counter protest also may have given him strength as well. AT any rate, world opinion remains strong, and most countries are opposed to continued Syrian presence in Lebanon. Could be interesting to see who back who if there is a civil war. Would Israel, help the anti-Syrian Lebanese?

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Aljazeera is reporting it as a done deal:

A majority of Lebanon's parliamentarians have nominated anew Umar Karami to form a new government, political sources said.

A total of 69 deputies from the 128-member chamber on Wednesday chose Karami, a favourite of Syria, in consultations with President Emile Lahud, the sources said in Beirut.

The president, also close to Damascus, was now bound to appoint Karami, who resigned last week under popular and opposition pressure, as prime minister-designate.
Karami chosen as Lebanon PM again

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Its not surprised FredT I, I read the news in the internet this morning, see the PM resign because he had not choices, occurs Seekerof made a point about my post that day but I knew that something was not right.

He did it because the truth was that Syria probably didn't have anything to do with the bombing attack and the PM knew that, and he probably was afraid that the forces that committed the attack probably would have targeted him.

Still I think that it may by more targets I don't think is all over.

Hezllboah like you said in another thread is a very powerful group they will eventually retaliation against the ones that really committed the aggression and after reading the some stuff in the internet I think that US was not exactly involved in the attack but perhaps and is only my opinion it may have know that it was going to happen.

Its interesting how power struggle play with the lives of people of other nations.

join