It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Throw Away Your Electric Can Opener

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I have suspect this, and even seen it before but never considered starting a thread about it here.
I had 19 polyps removed during 2 seprate colonoscopies roughly 3 months apart. The surgeon of the 2nd procedure, when asked why, just said it is genetic. I didn't buy that.
I'm cooking a goolosh of my own creation now and using the few resources I have I consider interesting to include. It truly is a culinary experiment.
Anyway, one of the ingredients was a can of Contadina tomato paste I opened with a conventional electric can opener, with the anvil blade that cuts the lid as it traverses around the inside of the lid.
After getting it cut, I looked into the open can to see what I had seen often in the top of the can. Almost microscopic slivers of metal created in the opening. I have removed what I have noticed through the years but I am sure I have digested some of these slivers throughout the years I have been using this type of can opener.

I guess what I'm saying here is these devices are potentially dangerous to your long term health to use and anyone else that consumes the food that contains these slivers and or, other bio-hazards.

Research for yourselves the hazards of the incredible can and all of the substances used to make and use it.
I wish the picture was better but it's the best I could do with my phone.

I'm having problems with the picture upload. Use your imaginations, OK?
edit on 27-1-2020 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

No sweat, stomach acid has you covered.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

OK, whatever you say, Einstein.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Honestly... We're on a big conspiracy here.

All can openers suck. It's 2020, and most of them still slip off, and when you try to rebite, you leave that little hangy Boi... If you get two hangy bois, the lid might not open, then you have to risk laseration to get the damn thing to at least bend so you can get your sludge out.

Wtf can opener industry?

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I don't mean to sound crass, but with the corona-virus, Iran plotting revenge,
world wide unrest, the very last thing I'm going to worry about is a can opener.

BUT, if you really want to get crazy,

edit on 27-1-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I thought about this as well but I doubt it's harmful. Mine, the blade isn't even a blade. It's a blunted thick wheel and the edges are very smooth after it is open. They would have been raining with lawsuits if it was harmful. It would have to be sharp pieces of metal and I don't see how that is possible.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Can openers should be required to come with extensive directions and warning labels, and a video showing how to properly open a can------because some of you obviously suck at it.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Can openers should be required to come with extensive directions and warning labels, and a video showing how to properly open a can------because some of you obviously suck at it.

The only reliable can openers I've used are measured in caliber.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Wow, I purchased a new Electric can opener a couple of months ago and when i could get it to actually open a can it hacked the lid apart with metal shavings all over the counter and the can! I took it back to the store and got an exchange and it did the same thing, so i got my money back and got a nice hand can opener

I don't know anything about ingesting metal shaving's but I do believe the stomach acid would dissolve small particles
I hope you are recovering well

ETA my old electric opener had a wheel and the new one had a blade
edit on 03 08 2017 by TimHeller because: added words

edit on 03 08 2017 by TimHeller because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

This is one of the rare "as seen on TV" items that actually works. I've had 2 or 3 over the years and I'll never go back to a conventional opener. It cuts the lid off under the lip not on top. I suppose metal shavings could still occur but I've never seen any.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Pffft using anything other than the can opener on your pocket knife....don't tell me there isn't a knife in your pocket too....

edit on 27/1/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I don't mean to sound crass, but with the corona-virus, Iran plotting revenge,
world wide unrest, the very last thing I'm going to worry about is a can opener.

BUT, if you really want to get crazy,

You can be just as crass as you want. And you can also eat as much steel slivers as you want.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Pffft using anything other than the can opener on your pocket knife....don't tell me there isn't a knife in your pocket too....

That works fine but it's harder for me as my arthritis hurts longer than when i use my hand can opener, I have Victorinox Swiss Army knives
edit on 03 08 2017 by TimHeller because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 03:17 PM
link   

You can be just as crass as you want. And you can also eat as much steel slivers as you want.

No steel slivers for me, the can opener I use is the kind that actually lifts the top (not cut it) so there are no shavings.
It is a pain in the rear and everyone says three cuss words when using it, (if they can figure out how to use it) but hey, no shavings and no sharp edges!

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

Mine, the blade isn't even a blade

Maybe you missed the point. I wasn't talking about your kind. I don't care about your kind. I'm talking about this kind.
Oh so easily people obliviously stray.

They would have been raining with lawsuits if it was harmful.

No they wouldn't! Baby, child restraints were not mandated before the realization babies were dying without them. That's when the lawsuits started.

It would have to be sharp pieces of metal and I don't see how that is possible.

What the F? Have you ever seen a sharp sliver of metal not sharp? Good Grief.
I suppose you also believe asbestos doesn't cause lung cancer.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Have you ever been to a vegetable canning/processing plant? Tomato paste has aloooooott of mold in it. That's a fact.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 03:27 PM
link   

In vitro effects of simulated gastric juice on swallowed metal objects: implications for practical management.
Li PK, et al. Gastrointest Endosc. 1997.
Show full citation

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

CONCLUSION: Corrosion of razor blades occurs rapidly in the normal stomach. Within 24 hours double-edged blades become fragile and can be broken with a snare. This observation may guide the timing of endoscopic removal. Modern disk batteries are acid resistant for 24 hours.

I think “ Almost microscopic slivers of metal created” will be taken care by yourself stomach acid.

Shrugs. Walks away.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

Have you ever been to a vegetable canning/processing plant? Tomato paste has aloooooott of mold in it. That's a fact.

This thread is not about what is in the can. I don't care what's in the can, this is about opening the can.

I give up. Does anyone log out of this site totally frustrated? Mercy!

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Is the density of the human brain quantifiable?
I'm tired. I think I'll log out a while.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

P-38. WW II vintage. Still works.

originally posted by: CharlesT

This thread is not about what is in the can. I don't care what's in the can, this is about opening the can. Oh so easily people obliviously stray. I give up. Does anyone log out of this site totally frustrated? Mercy!

Not until this thread about so vital an issue.
edit on 1/27/2020 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join