It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am starting to get really sick of Sirius XM

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I've been a subscriber to Sirius XM for years. I really like it for Fantasy Football coverage (channel 86). But I have a couple of gripes with Sirius XM with regards to music:

1. Stop playing the deepest tracks by an artist. I don't need to listen to the most obscure music by every artist. It's not even good music most of the time. And it's not just one deep track every now and then. It's deep track after deep track on and on. Sometimes for 6 stations I have set to my buttons I can go through the whole set and not recognize a single song! It's almost as if the goal is to create the worst possible programming on each station possible.

2. Stop with all the DJ talking. Holy crap! It's like after every song I have to hear some stupid inane comments about nothing to do with music from station DJs. The whole point of getting Sirius XM in the first place was not to listen to huge gaps between songs.

3. Stop saying your service is commercial free. Nothing is further from the truth. A listener is constantly bombarded with station call signs and Sirius XM promotions. It's not commercial free when there are endless commercials about the product itself!

4. Besides the extreme deep cuts, there's way too much live versions of songs. Live songs are like a deep cut. For me live music is great when you are experiencing it live. But I generally prefer the studio cut over any live version when I'm listening in my car. I will concede there are some really good live versions of songs. But the ones Sirius XM plays are NOT the good versions! It's like deep cuts for live versions of songs. Just awful versions.

I have this theory the reason why Sirius XM plays deep cuts, awful live versions, and endless chatter from DJs is they cut down the cost required for paying royalty fees on real music. I wonder if someone did the analysis comparing Sirius XM to commercial radio it may be commercial radio plays more popular songs per day than Sirius XM which is paid for!

If it were not for Fantasy Football and Scott Hansen I would drop the whole service. I'd rather spend $200 on MP3 files and have truly commercial free listening. At the very least I would prefer Sirius XM to be more like Pandora. At some point I am going to drop Sirius XM. Maybe when 5G becomes available everywhere.

I'm getting so close to dropping Sirius XM. It's just not worth the money.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Use to love Sirius but I've been using Amazon music almost exclusively. I can make up my own stations, zero commercials, skip songs instantly, better sound quality and can see lyrics in real time. Sirius is good for Fantasy, news.

As a music source though it's archaic for me. I posted on here I bought a lifetime Sirius years ago. If not for that, would have cancelled it for the home. Long drives, commutes, still have it in one car. I was listening to Fantasy sports on a recent long drive and I enjoyed it. I actually ended up winning a very competitive league this year for the first time. It didn't have much to do with their advice. I look at much deeper analytics than they cover but I still enjoyed their shows.

Sirius is a weird business because they almost went bankrupt but pushed out of it. Not sure if it's sustainable now though. Landscape is changing fast. I'd rather listen to a podcast in my car or Amazon music. I can do that now but it takes some manipulation.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015
I have Sirius also
If you don't like what's playing you can always change the channel
They do have a lot of music I don't care for but they also have a variety of different music and some I like
Only some channels do talk sometimes, if you don't like it you can always change the channel or turn it off nobody saying you have to listen to the same thing all the time as for you canceling Sirius that's up to you

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 10:56 AM
link   
What is going to kill Sirius is it has no AI ability. Amazon, you can start liking and disliking songs. The AI will begin adding new songs to cater to that taste. After a while, I start getting introduced to music and artist I didn't even know about. Sure other music services have this ability but too many for me to keep up with these days.

One thing I hate on Sirius, they will have a commercial on music I do not like on a station I do like. If I'm listening to say 70's Yacht Rock I don't want to know about the Rasta Island music channel or Elvis's channel. Get back to the Yacht rock and leave me alone.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Sirius comes "free" when you buy a new car. I have never even turned it on. Then when you get so much as an oil change at a dealer, Sirius sends you a promotion for "30 days free" as a "reward." Never invoked those either. Might be okay if you were an over-the-road driver, but after reading OP, maybe not even then. I'll pass.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Unsubscribe.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: schuyler
$20 / month for radio == way too much
after a year the price started going down
still too much

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

I have this theory the reason why Sirius XM plays deep cuts, awful live versions, and endless chatter from DJs is they cut down the cost required for paying royalty fees on real music. I wonder if someone did the analysis comparing Sirius XM to commercial radio it may be commercial radio plays more popular songs per day than Sirius XM which is paid for!

Yup. It's the same reason the top 40 station plays the same 30 songs all day long on rotation or the reason why the classic rock station, despite having 40 or so years worth of music to choose from, plays the same 50 or so songs every day.

Buying digital music either as 320 .mp3s(if you must), .flac files, or .wav files is the only way to even get close to what you would have gotten with a CD or vinyl. Streaming music/paid radio is a scam. Your account can be disabled or banned at any time for arbitrary reasons with no recourse, you're able to listen only to what the service allows you to or what the DJ decides. It just seems pointless to me.

Storage space is cheap these days, internet is fairly accessible. There's no real reason to not just store thousands of songs locally....and setting up a home solution for streaming media is not really that difficult. There's plenty of step by step guides available.
edit on 27/1/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 11:41 AM
link   

What channels are you listening to? I love my Sirius, I haven't listened to trash terrestrial radio since 2005. Plus you can customize your online stations as well.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Sirius was the only option at one time but with cell phones with unlimited data usage you can stream whatever you want.
That has undoubtedly hurt their subscription base so they are trying to save as much money as they can.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Plus you can use an amplifier with no batteries required .

Got that for xmas lol

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   
i agree.

i listen to the 80s, 90s, blues, and house-dance music channels.

every other song, 'you are listening to sirius xm'
why do we need to hear that?

and then the talk shows, so many commercials.
i liked ricky gervais's show where he would play music during the breaks.

i understand the talk guys need breaks, but its so many commercials, it would be awesome if they played music instead.

but i still love sirius, because i love house music.
and i do love deep cuts.

and i love hearing old 1940's blues music, and you shazam it, and you see only 35 people ever shazamed it! the lower the number the more fun for me. meaning no one has heard this song none too often lol.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I find that YouTube has any song and music video I've ever wanted to listen to. And it also has good AI that will make up playlists for you by itself which are usually good.

And Amazon music with Alexa is a no-brainer. Just ask Alexa to play a song for you and it starts playing it instantly.

You know when TV came out people thought that radio was an extinct business model. But after many decades it has had it's ardent supporters and followers. I grew up to the radio. I have fond memories in my childhood, when my dad gifted me my first radio/alarm clock. Staying up at night when I couldn't sleep (this was before the internet and tablets, and CDs, etc) churning through the channels, discovering new genres of music, and listening to good sports and talk radio.

To tell the truth I haven't turned a radio on in probably 8 years now. I've got one in my car. But I've never used it. And would never think of subscribing to a radio service these days.

I think the days of radio may be on their last legs. Perhaps it may keep a niche following, but with so many better and easier options I don't see the point of it even existing anymore.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Like george carlin said, " There are buttons and nobs on your radio and one of them is the off switch."

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I agree my fren. I have xm in my wifes car. It sucks. Only maybe 5 stations i even listen to. I use youtube music. The playlists are pretty good but you can create your own. The only thing i dont like is if i am logged into my premium account on multiple devic3s it will cut off the connected device when a new fonnection is made. I have found if i only login from my phone and not on sny of my roku or playstation, then i have no issues. I think this is how they pressure you to buy into a family account. On the up side, i get no commercials or interruptions when im listening in the car.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Yeah xm sucks. Try Spotify.
The best bitrate and it's cheap.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Yeah. I loved Sirius when I first subscribed, but that love faded quickly. The trouble with their deep tracks is they weren't all that deep. I owned most of what they played, so it was no big deal.

I was excited about the political channels at first, but the hosts of the left leaning and right leaning talk shows were so biased they couldn't tell an entire news story, and they'd bend it to suit their narrative. Shocking, I know.

And then the neutral station, POTUS, was OK, but there was this annoying lady who'd blast Bernie Sanders for being sanctimonious, which is fine, but she's only do that for about 2 minutes, but then would spend the next 8 minutes talking about how cool she was for being a punk rocker in the 80s, and how damn cool she still is because she still loves Minor Threat and The Exploited. Hell, I saw The Exploited at Joe's Garage, and while they were OK, they weren't no Waylon Jennings, but the way she'd talk about them you'd think they were the best thing since Texas BBQ, and you'd also think you were listening to a punk channel and not a political talk channel.

So, yeah. Sirius is useless. Why are they still around?

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Same here. I get it every time I get another car. When it goes out, they hound me for months but I don't answer their calls. I rather just download what I want, throw it on a 128 gig and plug it into my player and go.

I'd do Amazon (I have a prime sub anyways) but unfortunately it would all come over the 'internet' and not a sat signal like XM. That's the only reason XM is worth it sometimes (after you argue the price down to nothing - they want your business no matter what you pay). Amazon would be too slow, low quality, would drop out anywhere I couldn't get a phone signal. If I can hear a crappy quality song on streaming, there is no point in putting it on my stereo system. Id rather download high quality and play a weeks worth of non-repeating music that I can select at will.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 05:41 PM
link   

I am starting to get really sick of Sirius XM

Maybe you got the Cronosirius bug.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Call me old-fashioned. This is why I had a CD player installed and I use my Amazon Prime account to tailor my music.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join