It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 New Walking Shark Species Discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Wow, ATS

Mother Nature never ceases to amaze.....!

The researchers used tissue samples taken from live sharks to determine that DNA linked the new shark species to the Hemiscyllium genus, according to Science Alert.

DNA testing also revealed that the walking sharks are the youngest type of shark on Earth, VICE reported.

"With our molecular clock, we've been able to show that this group really only branched off from their nearest ancestor about nine million years ago and they've been actively radiating ever since," Erdmann told VICE. "Obviously in human terms, that still seems like a long time ago, but for sharks, and for speciation in general, that's actually very recent."

"Data suggests the new species evolved after the sharks moved away from their original population, became genetically isolated in new areas and developed into new species," she said.

"They may have moved by swimming or walking on their fins, but it's also possible they 'hitched' a ride on reefs moving westward across the top of New Guinea, about two million years ago."

Youngest on Earth? Is the walking Shark a step in evolution before life came to land? It definitely makes me wonder........? What says ATS?

!www.ecowatch.com...
edit on 24-1-2020 by lostbook because: paragraph edit

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 04:12 AM
link   
That's is an amazing find....although I hope to god they don't evolve any further...land sharks would be just too much..

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 04:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flatcoat
That's is an amazing find....although I hope to god they don't evolve any further...land sharks would be just too much..

Who knows...

With the way we're screwing with nature and throwing the oceans off balance, sharks just might have to come on land to find food. There are some species of fish that already can walk on land.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I'm in the only triple landlocked state in the US for a reason, dammit. I'm terrified of everything oceanic. Now I have sharks to worry about? Gar are terrifying enough to me...

What a cruel universe. I don't care how adorable their stubby like waddle is. I don't want one near my ankels.

On a serious note I though, they remind me of something like how cuddle fish or other species kind of scuttle along the shallow ocean floor. I'm not surprised a shark species adapted those princiles. Really cool to look at.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Poor timing with the site maintenance.

Anywho, as always I love you all!!!!!!!!
edit on 24-1-2020 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 04:36 AM
link   
You could get one as a pet. Put it on a leash. He-he

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Yeah. Heh. Like the neighbor comes over wondering where her child disappeared to... "Wasn't my land shark, he's trained."
😅

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Flatcoat

They would be way too slow on land. Something like crocs. Would probably rarely venture out of water.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly

They would be way too slow on land. Something like crocs. Would probably rarely venture out of water.

I agree that they would probabky be slow. However, crocodiles are actually very fast. Up to 22 mph!

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 07:27 AM
link   
It won't be long until they become street sharks!

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Did someone say Land Shark?

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 10:10 AM
link   
this is a stretch, they will use anything to prove their theory of evolution exist

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

My thoughts went there to a " what if" mode and that's what I settled on.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

I love you all!!!!!!!!

Ozzy, is that you?

And on topic...amazing finds in mother natures world. That shark is kinda cool and I don't like sharks. Lol
I like the mudskipper in the second video posted. So cute.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly

Not to mention the impossibility of randomly generating lungs that are capable of proper oxygen intake. To add to that, it would need an epiglottis to cover its lungs so it wouldn't suffocate any time it tried to eat something. It would also need the neurological innervation to control a muscle that expanded and contracted the lungs. These nerves would need to be automatic because the fish wouldn't "know" when to breathe. So you would also need some neural hubs within the nervous system that orchestrate the breathing rhythm. Also, the baby mutant miracle shark would drown if it didn't know to hold its breath until it developed the muscular strength to actually be able to crawl out of the water to breathe air.

But yeah if all those miracles managed to occur then this thing might end up on land to get picked at by the vultures. In short, evolution is impossible and one of the biggest deceptive lies in the history of humankind.
edit on 24-1-2020 by cooperton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   
That's not new it's a Epaulette shark been getting them in for years I work in Marine wholesale .

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 12:14 PM
link   
"Four new shark species walk into a bar. A sea lion at a table in the corner looks up nervously."

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

Those Landshark skits are great. Tina Fey did an updated skit with Chevy Chase. It was great!

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

Did someone say Land Shark?

Candy gram? LOL

LOL 1975 I remember watching it when it was first on just 10 years old.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Great Op stars and flag! I've always liked sharks and some of these smaller, less known species of walking sharks are interesting and beautiful! I like all things wildlife and nature and it's always great to hear of new, previously unknown life being discovered.

new topics

top topics

join