It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corona Virus Updates

page: 129
<< 126  127  128    130  131  132 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

It could be because the virus mutated in China. Epidemics or Pandemics usually come in waves, the Spanish Flu or the "Spanish Lady" as they called it came in three waves.

The first wave was confused with a seasonal respiratory disease that they called grippe, the virus mutated into a nasty virulent strain in its second wave, then it mutated again into a third wave that was less severe and went settled into a seasonal virus that would mutate slowly as it moved around the globe.

At its peak in the United States, 130,000 people died in four months, many military members, many aged 20-40 because it primarily spread through the military. The reports did not say that they all died from the Spanish Flu. The reports said that 80,000 died from the Spanish Flu and 50,000 died from pneumonia. Only 50% of active cases were actively reported to public health programs.

Some conspiracy theories of the time: German "slave-ship" Uboats brought the disease to the United States, chewing too much gum weakened the mouth and let bacteria take over, unsanitary post war Europeans brought it over. People were even getting ripped and reporting to work and social services because lemonade and hot brandy were thought to hold off the disease.

We also had curfews, schools closing, cities shut down, they even shut down Broadway which was huge back then. People go crazy during events like this.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: HabituallyUnaware

Welcome and thanks for your input. Contribute as you can.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAMEDDDoc

in french grippe mean flu in english

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Gripe is just "flu" in Spanish, maybe they called it simply La Gripe or The Flu, with no double P. But still, thanks for the insight, hopefully this doesn't happen again in a more interconnected world, who knows, maybe China just did something right by overreacting.

If this started in October... we should be seeing a lot more cases in the rest of the world, unless it is indeed a recent mutation or it requires close contact to spread.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: blackrabbit1
Just out of curiosity, is there any danger that when this corona virus comes into contact with the MERS corona virus they could interact or change each other?

Good question. Though I think more probable is if/when the Coronavirus mutates into something more severe (like the Spanish Flu did) or less severe and slowly fade away.

"The Hong Kong flu of 1968 strain shared internal genes and the neuraminidase with the 1957 Asian Flu (H2N2)."
en.wikipedia.org...

About 10 years apart. SARS broke out around 17 years ago and MERS was 2012. So, I guess it's possible but I have no idea how virus genes interact with other similar virus genes.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: khnum

I have prepared for a disaster personnally, and also for my family if you mean i underestimate the situation.

I calculated that this bug has traveled so many Weeks by now, that it should show it`s ugly face by now in outside communist China. They dont actually even know where or when it started, some say October but it may be even earlyer.

Besides....the Chinese fortune cookie allready say i drop dead...

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   

The military really helped spread it. The WWI troop movements outpaced any efforts at control.

There is an account of a train loaded with several thousand apparently healthy men, packed liked cattle from a camp just starting to get their own outbreak going. By the time they got to Georgia, a full 2/3 were ill. Many had to be carried off the train.

And that's how it went.

Then you had local civilians mixing with base personnel, spreading it from there.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Kenzo

Besides....the Chinese fortune cookie allready say i drop dead...

May be time to consult the I Ching.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 12:54 PM
link   
From Dr. WHO:

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus
‏Verified account @DrTedros

I have decided to reconvene the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee on the new #coronavirus (2019-nCoV) tomorrow to advise me on whether the current outbreak constitutes a public health emergency of international concern.

Most of the 6000+ new #coronavirus cases are in #China – just 1%, or 68 cases, have been recorded to date in 15 other countries. But some person-to-person transmission in 3 countries outside of 🇨🇳 has been recorded. This potential for further global spread is why I called the EC.
twitter.com...

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Sure what ever it need, to avoid getting killed in Columbus, Ohio .

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Dolby_X

That makes sense lol, the initial spread was in Europe, the virulent strain originated in the United States. The base it is believed to have mutated in before being brought back to the states was in Etaples, in Northern France.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: blackrabbit1

That video has been posted before and was from Hong Kong student riots.

Well I do feel a bit silly finding that out. With the Great Firewall of China in full operation it is tough knowing just what is going on.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 01:01 PM
link   
It looks like the CDC just put up their update for today. I wish they would do it daily with people posting about suspected cases in KS, MI, OH, and NV between yesterday and today.

www.cdc.gov...

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Doc, considering the improvements in medical infrastructure (developed world) since the Spanish Flu ... what I wonder about is bed capacity.

My impression of the med infrastructure is that it is like the rest of our infrastructure -- it can handle a small surge but will not do well if "busy hour" hits for months on end.

Any insights on that?

Cheers

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Kenzo

No I meant most people would never believe the possibility this is intentional Im prepared too but this one I
have a bad feeling about perhaps your better off dead many 'recovered' patients are disabled and you dont
want to be that in a Mad Max scenario.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: kwakakev

No need to feel silly. There is so much dis information and scaremongering its easy to get caught up. This thread is working well as its more confirmed updates and information.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Tukota

US Patent 7220852 B1 the CDC own this bug...no further comment

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Tukota

Yes the KS case is getting close to home although it sounds as if it would be at the extreme range of the incubation period as we know it, so hopefully it is a false alarm.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I dread the day I wake up turn on the news and find that the top story and on-going chatter has switched from impeachment to death toll. I can only assume that the current death rate is based on the assumption that people will continue to have access to medical facilities, right? No panic or hysteria here but hope that it'll burn itself out before truly getting out of control.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

originally posted by: FinallyAwake
Yes we're sure not one single person died when it was 1st discovered in China either, what an ignorant thing to say.

Ignorant?

It's been well over a month since it started in China.
Still less than 10 cases in the States. No one has died, or, from what I've read, even gotten extremely sick.

So, fanning the flames of panic is what I would call ignorant, friend.

I'm not panicking at all (yet), or fanning the flames, friend.
I would just prefer to see less arrogance and ignorance from naysayers until they know they are 100% right.
Too many unknowns at this moment imo.

top topics

<< 126  127  128    130  131  132 >>

join