It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slow Cooker Chili...with Beans

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Don't forget that for some cilantro tastes like soap. Genetics and all that.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Don't forget that for some cilantro tastes like soap. Genetics and all that.

It tastes like soap to me.

But it works well with the other taste of it on top of the chili and stirred in fresh.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

From your ingredients list, that sounds damn good!. I would trade the worcestershire for some Banana pepper juice though.

If your looking to have the greatest potato experience of your life..do this.

Buy the biggest sweet potatoes you can find, hollow them out like a pumpkin and save the innards. honey glaze them in the fridge overnight. Prepare some BBQ''d pulled pork and stuff it in the sweet potato the next day with a bit of cream corn. Tin foil wrap to the grill or the oven...Heaven.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Sabrechucker

From your ingredients list, that sounds damn good!.

Thanks!

I would trade the worcestershire for some Banana pepper juice though.

Why not...both?

If your looking to have the greatest potato experience of your life..do this.

Buy the biggest sweet potatoes you can find, hollow them out like a pumpkin and save the innards. honey glaze them in the fridge overnight. Prepare some BBQ''d pulled pork and stuff it in the sweet potato the next day with a bit of cream corn. Tin foil wrap to the grill or the oven...Heaven.

Details????

Honey glaze the sweet potato and mix with the pork and corn? So like a twice baked honey glazed sweet potato, pork, and corn ?

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Don't forget that for some cilantro tastes like soap.

Only to the genuinely dirty.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Yes! After you gut the tater, cover it in honey and let it sit in the fridge overnight (to glaze). Then prepare some BBQ PP and grab a can of Cream Corn. Stuff that Tater like a turkey with the PP and CC..Bake to 160 and serve with a nice slab of tenderloin cuts or steak.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 09:31 PM
link   
That looks too good, good job

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Saw the title and knew there would be talk about no beans in Texas. Actually I thought I was going to have to break up a fight to be honest.

But while in Texas, I had a bacon double chili cheeseburger at a little dinner. And it had beans. I also was just outside of Chicago and was talking with the waitress and another customer because it was late shift and they came to know I was from Cincinnati so they decided to bring me some chili cheese coneys made out of what they had on hand. Absolutely terrible mess of a meal and required a knife and fork to eat.

Fun fact, Cincinnati style chili for coneys and three ways (chili spaghetti) is more of a chili sauce. They will add beans or diced raw onions for a four way and all five for a five way.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Not sure why anyone would put perfectly good chili on a hot dog. For me hot dogs are a "dear Lord we're at a burger joint and I couldn't avoid it, now I have to figure out what to eat" option. Or a family cookout option when everyone else is having hamburgers.

I think I mentioned that I am not big on ground beef ...

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It isn’t good chili. Among the ingredients of Skyline is ginger powder and cocoa powder. I kid you not.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I might be biased, but that recipe is absolutely delicious. I'm surprised it was as savory as it was.

So for the bean haters, try it, or don't, or try it without beans, but you'll never know how delicious this is.

I think I'm pregnant.
edit on 22-1-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'm not sure why anyone would even eat a hot dog.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 11:17 PM
link   

There are good hot dogs. Just not national brand names. Nathan’s are fairly good. But you need a local small production deal like Queen City Sausage brands. And better to stick with Brats and Mets. Grilling is your friend. Kissed by fire from actual wood is better.

Boiling a plain old hot dog is just admitting that you hate life. But for best results grill an all beef jalapeño smoked sausage in the casing is your best bet. Grilled peppers and onions, with mustard and shredded cheese if you want. Bowl of actual chili on the side like your recipe (beans or not).

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Different from what I’m used to but it sounds good. May have to give this a try.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 04:13 AM
link   
sounds good
I like to add celery to my chili.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 04:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Why not kidney beans, though? Seriously. Why so blasphemous versus white?

Because kidney beans don't really 'blend' with anything, they take over. They sit there in whatever dish and just scream..."I'm a kidney bean!" They have a defined and different texture than everything else, and they have a very distinct flavor different from everything else. Plus, they have really thick skins so they add a crunch where there isn't supposed to be a crunch. Chili shouldn't be "crunchy". They're not part of the chili 'team' when it comes to what chili is supposed to offer for taste and texture. It's like the old saying...There's no "I" in the word "Team" Kidney beans are the "I". Other types of beans don't do this, they blend in better.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate kidney beans, I just don't like them in foods. I mean, they're probably good for shooting at things with a slingshot, and they must have some industrial use. Heaven knows, they can probably make some kind of voodoo medicine out of them, but they don't belong mixed with other ingredients in food.

Case in point, 3-bean salad. Three been salad doesn't taste like "3 beans", it tastes like kidney beans with and some other beans who may, or may not, have ran through the salad long ago.

Another example, olives. Now, I love olives, but I can't stand them in food. Why? Same reason, they take over. Put a single olive in a dish and that's all you can taste. But give me some Kalamata olives to eat and I'm all over them like white on rice. Yes, there are a couple dishes I make with olives, but those are rare, very cultural and they taste like...olives. Olives on pizza? NO...WAY!! You take a bite and it tastes like pizza, then all of a sudden this flavor pops up which screams..."OLIVE!", and then that's all you can taste.

Just my opinion though (on the kidney beans and olives). That and 0.25 still won't get you a cup of coffee...and it will get you thrown right out of Starbucks!

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Green olives on a salad, no pimento, works with Italian dressing. But that is all about tasting things other than the lettuce.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Because kidney beans don't really 'blend' with anything, they take over. They sit there in whatever dish and just scream..."I'm a kidney bean!" They have a defined and different texture than everything else, and they have a very distinct flavor different from everything else.

Fair enough. I don't see them as having a distinct flavor, but I do agree they have a very distinct texture.

Another example, olives. Now, I love olives, but I can't stand them in food. Why? Same reason, they take over. Put a single olive in a dish and that's all you can taste.

That's how I feel about cucumbers, god. When cucumbers are put in a salad, even after I take them out, that's all I taste is a cucumber, ugh. I hate it. Cucumber sandwiches are decent, and I really like fresh tzatziki, but that's about it for cucumbers.

I can definitely see that about olives, especially Spanish and Kalamata, but not so much regular black olives. I love them all.

My grandmother used to make a potato salad with sliced Spanish olives, and the flavor was actually really complementary, and, to me, made the dish what it was.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 10:28 AM
link   

I make chili often in the winter. Never forget the cornbread

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

There are good hot dogs. Just not national brand names. Nathan’s are fairly good.

Of the name brands, Nathans is about the only one I would eat, but I haven't had a hot dog in years. I guess if it's an actual sausage versus a processed weiner, I would eat it, because I do like Brats, but I don't consider them hot dogs. I don't consider hot dogs per se as a sausage.

And yeah, grilled or browned in a skillet would be only way to eat them. As stated in another thread, boiled meat is blasphemy.

For a brat, grilled peppers, onions, mustard, some cheese and spicy mustard. Yum.

For a regular dog, mustard, *little* bit of ketchup, and some onions.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join