It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon details ABMS test

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 05:06 PM
link   
The Pentagon has detailed the December test of the Advanced Battle Management System. They are both happy and unhappy with the results. They successfully completed 26 of 28 planned test points, but said it's too early in the program to be that successful, meaning they aren't challenging the system enough.

The test involved QF-16s simulating a cruise missile attack, as well as F-22s, F-35s, the USS Thomas Hudner, a HIMARS unit, and Special Operations forces. It included a "translator" that allowed the F-22s and F-35s to talk to each other over their datalink, transferring data while remaining stealthy. An AC-130 also successfully connected to Starlink, as well as the Air Force demonstrating a cloud based system as part of the system.

One of the points that failed was with the Special Operations robot dogs. The robots are designed to expand surveillance areas, but they were unable to connect their feeds. They're hoping to see that capability in the April test, as well as the XQ-58A carrying the "translator" for the F-22 and F-35.

www.c4isrnet.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Interesting to say the least and it makes sense for future battles.

Just about every platform can be a sensor these days and from the descriptions the F-35 is like a giant information vacuum. But data collection is pointless unless you can share / make sense of it.

The different platforms used is pretty impressive

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I wonder how track management works out in those exercises and how everything's getting filtered. I remember those Arleigh Burke have pretty high fidelity radar and can pick up A LOT. I imagine it's the same for the F-35s.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Just a little additional information:
I believe the translator on the Valkyrie (XQ-58A) is a Boeing prototype unit called the Talon HATE system. It translates between Link 16 (F-35s & all NATO aircraft), IFDL (F-22 only) and MADL (F-35 only).

edit on 1-26-2020 by intelgurl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: intelgurl

They flew Talon HATE on a couple F-15s at Nellis a few years ago. They had a noticeable antenna on the shoulder above the intake and a centerline pod. The timing would be right for them to have developed a better antenna system.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Honeywell antenna now - much better.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Good to hear. The previous incarnation was bulky and looked like a pain in the ass just to install.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Woah woah woah, where have you been?

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Masisoar

I'm a lurker for the most part now.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: intelgurl

Always good to see a post from you!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: intelgurl

Same mood here.
Good to know you´re still around!

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Oh intelgurl never really left. She just chooses to post more frugally and discreetly now, not that she was ever careless.

edit on 27-1-2020 by thebozeian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 03:30 AM
link   
The Alienz guys have been more cray cray last few years.Good to see some of the old crew still around..

posted on Jan, 28 2020 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger
There's a whole stack of the old crew from 8-10+ years back I miss on here. Names like WIllard856, Canada EH, Waynos, even Kurt Plummer's alter ego's and many others come to mind, some of which I have gone blank on their names but I can see their avatars and contributions on here.

edit on 28-1-2020 by thebozeian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Northrop will prototype gatewayONE under the ABMS program. A flight representative prototype will be demonstrated in laboratory conditions, with a flight demonstration within 4 months.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Makes you wonder what headlines like this mean?

Roper Aims for 50 Percent Failure in Next ABMS Experiment

I got caught taking too long to study the details on more than one occasion.
They only give you about 20 seconds.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Slichter

The first couple tests were considered too easy, because everything passed with flying colors. So they want to see misses and failures to stretch the system out.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Also, trying to integrate Space Force as a separate entity now. The Army and Navy are (uncommittedly) observing progress, and hopefully it's a path towards JADC2. Either way it'll be a stepping stone to whatever comes next. Each service has a bit of a vision that centers mostly around themselves (surprise!). The Navy has been light years ahead on this for a long time, but ABMS is incredibly ambitious. Here's to hope.

I dropped a post somewhere saying this was pushed from April to June due to COVID, but it's now August (fingers crossed) or September.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

I believe the Air Force has been working on this for at least a decade with a working copy, we had a form of it for C^2 when controlling in the Middle East. Wasn't ever considered the system of record but was maintained by contractors. Had a lot of potential & functionality but limited use given the units we were networked with and what we were doing with it.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 03:02 PM
link   

You've got it. It's still in the formative phase, but several contractors are trying to be part of the eventual architecture. Things like MANDRIL and DA/RC are in competition, but depending on how it all develops, you could see some operational use of either, both, or something else entirely on different platforms. So far, an application like DA/RC would be the most promising or attractive approach because it not only gathers all the information, it can do things and/or make suggestions autonomously after analyzing that data. But it's only as good as the program doing that, and is obviously going to be a lot more effort. But that's probably where we're headed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join