It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Two Charged in Baby's Diaper Rash Death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
A the mother and grandmother are charged with criminal neglect in the diaper rash death of a toddler. Amy Livingston, 27, was charged involuntary manslaughter and child endangerment in the death of 15 month old Harley. Harleys sister, Hunter, was also noted to have a severe rash as well. The grandmother was charged because she was a supervisor at Harley's day care and was obligated to report the neglect. Harley died when the diaper rash caused him to develop sepsis.

story.news.yahoo.com
JOHNSTOWN, Pa. - The mother and grandmother of a toddler who died in December face criminal charges for allegedly neglecting his severe diaper rash, leading to a fatal infection.

Amy Livingston, 27, of Johnstown, was charged Tuesday with involuntary manslaughter and child endangerment in the Dec. 12 death of her 15-month-old son, Harley. She was charged with a second count of child endangerment because another son, 3-year-old Hunter, also had severe diaper rash, authorities said.

Her mother, Evelyn Ann Mrsnik, 60, was charged with child endangerment, because she was a supervisor at a day care center Harley attended. Mrsnik had an obligation under state law to report the alleged neglect, District Attorney David Tulowitzki said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is simply neglect pure and simple. You have to wonder why the mom or the grandmother, or anybody else for that matter did not report this at all? I mean the mom is 27 for Christ sake it not like she was some 14 year old. You just have to wonder about people.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
well, maybe they had just the right income, ya know, too rich to get any help from the gov't, too poor to actually be paying $600 or so in medical insurance every month??

actually though.
When my first born was born and got to the age where "WIC" said he was ready for juice, well, he broke out in one god aweful rash. Which well, I tried just about every medication there was on, it wouldn't go away.

Finally I just took him to the doctor and asked her what was up. She asked me if I was feeding him anything different. And, I mentioned WIC had said he was ready for juice and that I should start giving him it. She shook her head no, that wasn't right, he was too young, and I should wait at least another month. Then well, she asked what I was putting on it,.....again a shake of the head....and then she said, well, I could give you this perscription here, and well, you could blow alot of money, or you could just go home and use the standard crisco shortening that is in your kitchen....whatever you prefer....but the rash was either being caused by the juice, and the medications was just aggravating it. I dropped the juice (and got yelled at about it by wic....) and used the shortening....and then didn't buy any more diaper rash medicine after that.....

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
My boys had similar problems. There are some great ways to treat them, many were even naturopathic and very inexpensive.But at no time did any of my sons, and I bet yours as well, get such a severe case that they developed sepsis, which is infection in the bloodstream. A rash caused by an allergic reaction to acidic juices or chemicals in those juices, is not bacteriological, and only introduces bacteria if it is allowed to develope into massive, open sores, that are not treated, then left in contact with bodily emissions for inappropriately long periods of time. This was simple laziness, much like my ex wife often did. Buy diapers a size larger, and fail to change them for hours at a time, because she's too busy on the computer, or waiting for Daddy to get home because it was "his turn".

There is no justfiable blame to be spread to any government agency or program. This is ridiculous, and something that needs to be considered by courts who automatically assume Mom is the best choice for parenting ina custody case.

This story is making me so angry and upset I'm shaking. Waay too much emotional loading based on things my sons endured. May God have mercy on their souls, since their mother and grandmother sure failed to show any.

Originally posted by dawnstar
well, maybe they had just the right income, ya know, too rich to get any help from the gov't, too poor to actually be paying $600 or so in medical insurance every month??

actually though.
When my first born was born and got to the age where "WIC" said he was ready for juice, well, he broke out in one god aweful rash. Which well, I tried just about every medication there was on, it wouldn't go away.

Finally I just took him to the doctor and asked her what was up. She asked me if I was feeding him anything different. And, I mentioned WIC had said he was ready for juice and that I should start giving him it. She shook her head no, that wasn't right, he was too young, and I should wait at least another month. Then well, she asked what I was putting on it,.....again a shake of the head....and then she said, well, I could give you this perscription here, and well, you could blow alot of money, or you could just go home and use the standard crisco shortening that is in your kitchen....whatever you prefer....but the rash was either being caused by the juice, and the medications was just aggravating it. I dropped the juice (and got yelled at about it by wic....) and used the shortening....and then didn't buy any more diaper rash medicine after that.....

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar

But the difference is that you got help after things got beyond your ability to take care of it. These "people" got help after thier son was overwhelmed by sepsis.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
uk.news.yahoo.com...

Same thing happened over here in Scotland this week, the mother only got 1 year. There's been a big outcry about the small sentence when she allowed her child to get blood poisoning through nappy rash and die.

Very sad story, some people should be allowed to have children

[edit] Sorry, forgot to say she was a drug addict.

[edit on 9-3-2005 by Snoopdopey]

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopdopey
Very sad story, some people should be allowed to have children

No you are right some people are simply unfit to be parents. However, one thing that struck me when we had our sone was the fact that we could just do so. No classes. not teaching sessions nothing. All we got was a few videotapes from the state on anger management when dealing with kids and thats babout it. At the very least maybe some classes or something.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
oh, well, if you like that story, you'll love this one:

Police: 17-Year-Old Found Starved In Cage, Wearing Diaper

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The adoptive parents of a 17-year-old boy who weighed 49 pounds when found in a home where he was forced to wear a diaper and sleep in a locked, cage-like bed have been charged with child neglect, authorities said.

Child welfare workers called to Wilson and Brenda Sullivan's home Jan. 10 found the teen wearing a diaper and appearing developmentally delayed, a police report said. The boy was less than 4-foot-6 and was in the weight range of a 61/2-year-old, officials said.

Chief Steve Weintraub of the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office said the parents told investigators that the boy was forced to sleep in a criblike cage with a wooden lid kept shut with chains and a lock because he had behavioral problems and was overeating at night. The crib was the size of a twin bed with locks that prevented its sides from being lowered.

The teen and two adopted 10-year-olds -- all with physical or mental disabilities -- were taken from the home and placed in protective custody. The Sullivans were charged with felony child neglect Tuesday, and each was being held on $200,003 bail.

www.local6.com...

-------------------------------------------------------------

It's horrible that some people could be that cruel to a child...

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Yeah Fred, your right.

There should be some sort of parenting school set up in each country i feel. However when does it become silly.

For example, there was something on the news a while ago about a grandmother who raised 3 good children, who had to go to one of these classes to see if she was fit to care for one of her grandchildren.

Or maybe some sort of common sense thing... 'your a drug addict, sorry, but no children'

I think that's fair until they get off the stuff

top topics

join