It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As virus spreads to more Chinese cities, WHO calls emergency meeting

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Many have probably heard about the virus that causes pneumonia like symptoms happening in China. The reason I am posting this is due to the Chinese Lunar new year where many Chinese traditionally travel overseas to party or leave the cities to visit back in a home province....great opportunity for this to spread IMO.

BEIJING (Reuters) - An outbreak of a new coronavirus has spread to more Chinese cities, including the capital Beijing and Shanghai, authorities said on Monday, and a fourth case has been reported beyond China’s borders.
World News
January 20, 2020

BEIJING (Reuters) - An outbreak of a new coronavirus has spread to more Chinese cities, including the capital Beijing and Shanghai, authorities said on Monday, and a fourth case has been reported beyond China’s borders.

China’s National Health Commission confirmed that the virus, which causes a type of pneumonia, can pass from person-to-person, the official Xinhua News Agency said.

Unlike Ebola which needed a transfer of body fluids you have to wonder if this can be transmitted by a cough or a sneeze ?

South Korea on Monday confirmed its first case, a 35-year-old Chinese national who had traveled from Wuhan, the fourth patient reported outside China.

Last week, two cases were reported in Thailand and one in Japan. All three involved people from Wuhan or who recently visited the city.

A report by London Imperial College’s MRC Centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis estimated that by Jan. 12 there were 1,723 cases in Wuhan City with onset of related symptoms. Chinese health authorities have not commented directly on the report.

Maybe something to keep our eyes on maybe not.. If it is going to spread "big time" I would guesstimate it will be during the Lunar New year..
www.reuters.com...
edi t on 727stk20 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Possible case in Brisbane Aus, I passed through the Brisbane airport last Friday, will post information here if i get further
Details from our local news services, Thanks OP.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 03:55 AM
link   

......seafood market in Wuhan, China. Officials believe the market is linked with an outbreak of pneumonia caused by a new virus.

Investigation into how the virus is spread is ongoing, but "from the information that we have, it is possible that there is limited human-to-human transmission, potentially among families," Maria Van Kerkhove, acting head of WHO's emerging diseases unit, said in a news conference, according to Reuters. "But it is very clear right now that we have no sustained human-to-human transmission."

No worries.

SOURCE

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Brisbane Aus guy has just been cleared of sars.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

As in " generally " coronaviruses are know to spread much like influenza virus. So if this new mysterious Wuhan would not be acting like that it would be of cource great.

www.cdc.gov...

www.theguardian.com...

How does the virus spread?

The same way as influenza and other respiratory infections. Through coughs, sneezes, and contact with the virus.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 06:37 AM
link   

14 health workers are infected
Even the Chinese government doesn't believe it isn't communicable
I have a close friend in Wuhan
She told me less than an hour ago that wearing a respiratory mask in public is now mandatory

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Arizonaguy

The article I posted is six days old so it may be out of date. However I dont see the virus changing that rapidly.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Kenzo

From your source..

Can it spread among people?
Yes, but not easily. Tests in the UK have confirmed the virus passed from a man to his son. Another family member also picked up the infection.
How dangerous is it?
So far, six of the 12 people known to have contracted the virus globally have died from the illness. But the risk of infection is very low, because the virus does not spread easily. If it were highly transmissible, there would be far more cases, particularly among hospital staff. For the latest information, see the World Health Organisation updates. The virus is fairly fragile, lasting only about 24 hours outside the body. It is destroyed by detergents and most cleaning products.

Killing 6 out of 12 people seems pretty lethal. I'm sure every major health organization in the world is watching and tracking this virus and its progress very closely. If this virus could evolve to become more contagious it seems to me that it could become very dangerous.
edit on 1/21/2020 by Alien Abduct because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I wonder what it would take to impose a ban on all air travel to and from China? I suppose a shipping ban is out of the question since the world’s main supply of crap would be cut off. China seems to be the breeding ground of most new dangerous viruses. Anyway, that’s the impression I get.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Many have probably heard about the virus that causes pneumonia like symptoms happening in China. The reason I am posting this is due to the Chinese Lunar new year where many Chinese traditionally travel overseas to party or leave the cities to visit back in a home province....great opportunity for this to spread IMO.

Do you know what the symptoms are?

Because there is something ripping through people around here (NY/NJ) right now. I even have it and I rarely get sick.

My Dr.'s office has been inundated with patient visits according to the nurses there.

It's like a really nasty cold with head & chest congestion, coughing, body aches - and it won't go away.

Only thing I don't have is a fever.

Thank God for small mercies, I guess...

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Yeeh go figure...but the Chinese new year is allmost here, after the millions will travel we will know how this goes.

I am not yet so worryed personnally ( eeeek!
)

I think it`s good to have some perspective also. About 8.8 million die for air pollution in year ( 2019 ) , so we are not to me yet in the big numbers. Thought it is hard to get solid information about these viruses from China .

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Scapegrace

I wonder what it would take to impose a ban on all air travel to and from China?

This is a good question. I think even if thousands of people die it wouldn't be much of a concern unless the virus had also been shown to be very contagious/infectious. This is just a guess.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 08:27 AM
link   

The good news is that if it becomes easily transmissible, it could also become less deadly. Of course, that would also depend on why it's deadly too. Spanish Flu killed because it was completely new to our immune systems, not because the disease itself killed as a flu. If it goes that way, then our own immune systems will be the culprit, mounting such effective and vigorous defenses that they kill us.

But only time will tell.

If it does not easily pass from person to person, then it could burn itself out before spreading widely too.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 08:48 AM
link   
The virus isn't that new
It's several weeks old
A post was even on ATS a few weeks ago about it

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Arizonaguy

It's old enough that if it did transmit as easily as the cold or flu, it would be all over the world by now. Thing is that it might be all over, but it's severe form just isn't as common.

edit on 21-1-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'm not sure you understand virus mutation
While a virus can mutate into an airborne virus without an antagonist,
Most mutations occur when two viruses occupy the same cell and swap info
Scenario: s specific patient is infected with this coronavirus while also being infected with a more common rhinovirus that is communicable
If that occurs then the likelihood of mass infectiousness multiplies exponentially
This very well could have happened within the last week

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 09:02 AM
link   

If you guys are interested in diseases and how they spread and such there is a very cool game on google play where your goal is to create a disease and infect and kill the whole world before they can cure it! Sounds a bit masochistic but I assure you it is loads of fun!

I hadn't played it in years but this thread reminded me of it so I downloaded it again and seen that it has been updated and is even better now.

It's very cool amd gives a lot of insight on how the disease evolves and spreads globally and how countries react to the disease. Its called Plague inc.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Also, the local government measures are very recent
My friend termed them mandatory personal access control measures
Mandatory masks
No transport of seafood, poultry, or wild animals in trunks of cars
Frequent sterilization of places of business with strong urge to customers to stay home until threat passes if possible
All within the past couple of days

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 01:17 PM
link   
New US case confirmed in Seattle, WA.

Patient has history of travelling to Wuhan.

I'll be watching this closely.

I certainly hope since cases have climbed rapidly, the fatality rates have gone down.

6 of 12 cases fatal is a terrifying number. 50% fatality rate is better than even most Ebola strains.

Looks like media outlets are reporting many more infected, greater than 300. Much better mortality rate at 6 of 300.
edit on 18America/ChicagoAmerica/Chicagok_31Tue, 21 Jan 2020 13:21:18 -06000000003101 by Seek_Truth because: Add mortality rate info

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Seek_Truth

Also cases being reported in Japan, Taiwan and Thailand

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join