It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

science fiction book question feed back .

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I am 54 now and over my life starting from around 14 I have been a avid science fiction reader .
Thing is there is still ONE book i read over 35 years agaio I have not been able to remember the title or Arthur of .
So I hope by giving the story out line someone here may know what the title is or Arthur's name .

First the story seams to be set around the 1950 s ( The book its self could be that old )
A ship full of people capsized and sank . In one part of the ship a section held air and the people traped in it managed to get generators working and grow enough food to live . The story acts like it was many years I do believe even kids were being born and growing up .
Druing this time Aliens who ether breathed water LIKE a fish or evolved in water like dolphins came to earth and the story acts like they are refuges from a world that had been desamated or some such No real background given but there were just a few ships hiding in the oceans .
Eventually the Governments found out the aliens were hiding and wanted to destroy them and during this the aliens found these people who were traped in the ship and started learning to talk with them and the people learned to talk to the aliens as well and became friends .

Then as this ship slowly filled with more water it looked as if the people would all die so the aliens saved them and got the governments to realize these people existed and helped save them and the Governments learned these people could understand these aliens very good so used them to learn if the aliens were peace full .
The ending I just dont remember but I am fairly sure every one lived happly ever after lol .
I would love finding this book any guesses even may help .
ps another i had read i only remembered the story line took over 20 years BUT i did finly remember and find that book ( accutly two )
space angle ) I dont give up easy lol . One day ill remember .

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: midnightstar

Oh, damb! I remember that!!! Sh---crap!

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Goliath Awaits.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 07:51 PM
link   

James White's: The Watch Below.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 07:58 PM
link   
www.sffchronicles.com... this may help but it is another forum

allreaders.com... not a forum but a website designed to help you find it

think reddit also has a subforum for this

holy monkeys i think i found it! en.wikipedia.org...

The Watch Below (1966) is a science fiction novel by British writer James White about a colony of humans stranded underwater in a sunken ship, who survive by air pockets, and a water-breathing alien species in search of a new home. The two generation ships encounter each other in the Earth's ocean.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I was just doing a search for it when the poster above me gave you the title.

Here is a link to it on GoodReads:

The Watch Below

When I was a kid I was really heavy into sci-fie. But never heard of this story. A little before my time though.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: SimpleIdea

i cant believe 3 of us actually managed to find it at roughly the same time lol actually sounds like an interesting read so thanks OP always looking for new scifi to read

if you like scifi space operas with a combat focus i like the blood on the stars series by Jay allan www.goodreads.com... book 16 is supposed to come out on the 21st of this month ,and the author comes out with a new book every month or two and can be read for "free" if you have kindle unlimited

if zombies are your thing there is adrians undead diary which is pretty good used to be free now can be bought or again found on kindle unlimited

he also has a "sci fi YA" book trilogy that starts with the phone under the pen name WJ orion ,only one book is out so far

then there is the terms of enlistment series but it isnt finished and i think abandoned? by margot kloos? if you watched love death robots one of his short stories was there in lucky 13
edit on 16-1-2020 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 08:18 PM
link   
HOLY scifi that is it I cant believe it OMG thank you so much YOU all have just made a OLD man very happy .
Ty ty ty a 1000 times ty YES Th every last one I wanted . Been collection for 30 years as well a few books toke me 2o years to refind But this is the record amazing thanks so much .
1966 it was published two years after i was born lol .
30 years is a long long time .
ps i could give you guys a list of 100s of scifi books from the 1950s up to the late 1970s and even a few older I collected hundreds now all in epub format
edit on 16-1-2020 by midnightstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 08:35 PM
link   

"The Mote in God's Eye" by Niven was my all time favorite back in the days.

Kind regards,

Bally

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: bally001

That takes me back awhile.

Try

Too Many Magicians by Randal Garrett. Great book with a great premise.

Or there are always my books.

P

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Funny. I just started reading that one again a couple nights ago!

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

That takes me back awhile.

Try

Too Many Magicians by Randal Garrett. Great book with a great premise.

Or there are always my books.

P

Thanks P,

I guess I don't have to tell you what happened to my sci fi collection. All boxed and cataloged. Went back years. Presently I have none left but I do have my nature, gardening and cooking books but they aren't sci fi. I will get into reading again when life here gets back to normal and a new (man cave) cabin is built.

I don't know how I'll replace all those old to new sci books. Some, I could not put down at times.

Will have to travel to the city and haunt the second hand book stores. I liked the Saga of the Seven Suns by Anderson and was disappointed that collection was lost as they were bought for me as the came out by my wife and daughters. I also kept The Amtrak Wars but was disappointed with the final novel, and many more. I checked out your books and profile. Time permitting in 6 months or so I'll certainly revisit.

Kind regards,

Bally

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 12:42 AM
link   

I know the problem.

I lost my collection going back decades to a flood in 2010.

The best place to try is to tell your story to a men's shed or neighborhood house and just ask them to keep SciFi books for you rather than throw them out.

Of course, you have to do this outside of the primary burn areas because those areas do not have any books left.

P

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Speaking of floods, it's absolutely pelting down here at the moment.

The little 'Intex' vinal pool is about to overflow.

Dams are getting to max.

Cheers,

Bally

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 01:03 AM
link   
"Shikasta" by Doris Lessing.

First in a series of 5 books detailing nothing less than the entire history of humanity on earth told from the point of view of an immortal(via reincarnation) bureaucat from
the planet Canopus tasked with overseeing the experimental genetic breeding programs being conducted(by various competing alien groups including the Sirians)on several different areas of the planet.

Later books go on to describe in great detail galactic history and reincarnation processes, told from a "government records/ historic documentary" point of view.

Very hard SciFi from 1979 but well worth reading if you want your mind totally blown.
Will stay with you forever!

edit on 17-1-2020 by Osirisvset because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Osirisvset

Excellent, will look into that series.

Thanks,

Bally

top topics

join