It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Screw Up Beans

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 12:57 PM
link   
There are many variations and recipes and myriad alchemical techniques of making a good pot of beans.
You want to know how to screw it up?
Better yet how to not screw it up?
PROPER SOAKING IS KEY!
The difference between nice tender beans that get devoured like a fine delicacy or are only grudgingly put down the gullet rests on a proper soak.
Poor your dry beans in a pot and slowly bring to a simmer.
Turn off the heat.
Cover the pot and let it sit for at least half a day.
Strain and rinse through a colander and repeat.
At this point add whatever broths, meats, veggies, spices and herbs you wish to flavor the pot with and let it simmer on low for half a day.
Feel free to experiment within reason and available ingredients.
Give the pot a stir every so often.
Keep the liquid part of the witches brew just above the top of the precious nuggets.
Don't want to burn the bottom.
There is nothing worse than improperly soaked legumes.
The texture is awful and it makes everyone fart like a mule.
Take your time and do it right.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Homefree

I love beans. ❤ Cassoulet is the BEST bean dish. This is a fact.
edit on 16-1-2020 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 01:02 PM
link   

A little bit of baking soda really helps the soaking process as well.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

Making that this weekend. Duck confit, French garlic sausage and lardons will be added.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

Cassoulet-
"A small porcelain, glass, or metal container used for the cooking and serving of individual dishes."

That would probably require an extra long soak.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Me too! Except I can never get duck confit. Too lazy to make it. I sometimes do rabbit instead. We have a pork guy up the road, so I just grab whatever is good.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

I can be induced to care package some to your culinarily-deprived Canadian ass.

Or you can try D'Artagnan.com and hope they deliver.

edit on 16-1-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: 👁❤🍕

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 01:15 PM
link   

😂

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Next time I make it I'll trade you for something!

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 01:33 PM
link   
The beans should be boiled for fifteen minutes after soaking to destroy the chemistry that can cause your blood to gel. the chemistry is not detoxed in a crock pot unless on high for half an hour and boiling, it actually increases and can increase blood agglutinationg if not soaked and boiled for fifteen minutes or if not soaked, they mist be boiled for an hour. The soaking makes for better beans. Destroying the lectins by boiling should be done when starting to cook them, if the lectins go up when slowcooking or keeping hot like you mentioned. After they are warmed, and not boiled, it is harder to reduce the lectins down with boiling before serving to a moderate amount.

So, in your recipe, when bringing them to a boil, boil them fifteen minutes, the rest is ok. www.healthline.com...

I used to make some great beans but discovered that they were actually mildly poisoning my friends and relatives, they made a person have brainfog and you felt lousy the next day. I figured out what I was doing wrong and I made them afterwards and that simple change made the side effects go away. My recipe is for a huge pot and I haven't had an occasion to make a big pot for, lately I make rolls and pies to take to the family get togethers.

There are many many articles out there that discuss this, and of course, the instructions on the bean package usually includes boiling for a certain amount of time.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Improper soaking of legumes is the root of much good humor.
Maybe we should just leave some esoteric knowledge to remain secret.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   

The best way to season your beans is adding chorizo and one large order of Wendy's chili at the end. Just try it.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I usually soak in tap-hot water for two or three hours, with some baking soda added. Then, rinse and into the pressure cooker for 35-40 minutes at pressure, turn off heat and let it coast to cool. I add a variety of seasonings to the beans, including chili power and chocolate. Delish!

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Wendy’s chilli? Uncooked seasonings? Who are you people?

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

the chemistry is not detoxed in a crock pot unless on high for half an hour and boiling,

I've always had a sneaking suspicion that crock pots are killing the life force in foods. I know that cooking
degrades all vitamins to a certain extent, but sometimes people keep food in the crock for 12-15 hours. That's just too long.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Homefree you beat me too it with the blazing saddles scene, one of the best and funniest fart scenes of all time.

Actually there was one far more funny but you had to watch the whole movie to get the context, Down Periscope.

and on the subject of bean's remember this joke advert.

Some serious good advice here as well as humor.

Actually Brussels sprouts are far more likely to make you fart.

And remember a Fart is a breeze between the knee's that warm's the bed and haunt's the flea's.

Bean's are one of the most versatile food's, even people that claim they do not like them probably like something with them in it and thank you for the advice about soaking them if I ever make my own at home I will definitely remember this.

edit on 16-1-2020 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Cold rinse is a must. If you heat them first the skins can peel back and you can pick up a stone . I usually let them soak overnight .

Great Northern beans for soup.

Navy beans if you want a 21 gun salute !

edit on 16-1-2020 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Depends what type of beans. I like pressure cooking. No soaking required. Even tough garbonzo beans only takes 30 mins. On a stove, it would take all day to cook dry ones.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Different beans take different cooking methods

But for pinto beans never soak them

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 04:58 PM
link   
If you like beans, or anything with beans in it, invest in a pressure cooker. It will really save you a lot of time and hassle.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join