It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia General Assembly votes to ratify ERA to U.S. Constitution

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 01:56 PM
link   

The Virginia House of Delegates and Senate each voted Wednesday to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, in a move both historic and controversial.

Democrats used their new majority to push the amendment through the House on a 59-41 vote, and the Senate on a 28-12 tally, finally surmounting years of failures dating back to the 1970s.

Source

And with that we have a 28th Amendment...

At least symbolically.

Technically, Virginia is now the 38th state to vote in favor for the ERA. But there are some definite legal issues that have arisen.

Since the amendment was first proposed in the 1970s, 37 other states have approved it. In the intervening years five states have revoked their approval. Leaving only 33 states.

Meanwhile the Justice Department has stated that the proposed Amendment has sat around for too long and is now dead.

This is a case that will definitely be going to the Supreme Court.

Can a proposed Amendment die due to time? Can a state overturn a vote in approval of an Amendment?

This may be the next great Supreme Court decision. So keep an eye out in this.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Star and Flag

All good questions this bares watching, no matter which side of the debate you are on.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I see no credible argument as to why ratification cannot be revoked.

As for a timeline, the Supreme Court will need to decide, but common sense suggests some kind of reasonable time limit needs to exist, for exactly this reason. The 1970's were over 40 years ago. Most of the people who voted for this amendment back then are probably dead by now.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

I can understand the revocation being legal. But there's nothing in the Constitution that says there's a statute of limitations on proposed amendments and Congress hasn't passed anything that establishes such a thing.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

I can understand the revocation being legal. But there's nothing in the Constitution that says there's a statute of limitations on proposed amendments and Congress hasn't passed anything that establishes such a thing.

After a quick search, it seems Congress originally passed the amendment with a deadline of 1979. This was later extended to 1982, but in any event the deadline has long since passed.

I think the mainstream legal opinion is going to be that the ERA is as dead as Ronald Reagan, and the Virginia legislature's vote is moot.

BTW, I hope all those supporters realize that if the ERA passes, then women will automatically be elligible for the draft, and laws concerning alimony and child custody that heavy favor women will become unconstitutional.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I remember those days well.

At that point in my life I was a screaming liberal and all in on the ERA . ( still am )

It’s already been before the Supreme Court .

The congressional extension on ratification went before a district judge who said they didn’t have the authority.

A separate complaint brought it to the Supreme Court who remanded back to District Court with instructions that it had no standing .

But in this day and age I could see Congress starting the whole thing over again to get it passed.

There’ll be dancing in the street if that happens .

Maybe that could be our one real unifying moment over the last 20 years .

edit on 15-1-2020 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 02:35 PM
link   

If this gives women the right to vote, then we're all screwed.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

It will allow for the 51st state to vote, the coming Moon or Mars colony.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 02:43 PM
link   

BTW, I hope all those supporters realize that if the ERA passes, then women will automatically be elligible for the draft, and laws concerning alimony and child custody that heavy favor women will become unconstitutional.

Equal is equal... So that should be the case.

Although I thought alimony already applied to them? But I could be wrong.

As for the draft, that should be implemented. If we really need the draft it's all hands on deck, Israel has showed it can work. The only added thing I'd want is that fitness test for combat roles apply. There are plenty of roles in the armed forces... I don't want combat flooded just for the sake of equality if someone can't carry a brother or sister in arms out of harms way should the need arise.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Sad the new colonies still get to vote before Puerto Rico or Guam.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Both should be made independent countries.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan

Both should be made independent countries.

I'd see that happening with PR before Guam.

Guam is too strategic in the pacific.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Im all confused...I thought this thread was about baseball.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Every American Citizen should have equal rights. It should be changed to state no laws offering special protections, rights to non-citizens or favoritism in admissions or job selection should be allowed.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Im all confused...I thought this thread was about baseball.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 03:35 PM
link   

At that point in my life I was a screaming liberal
a reply to: Fallingdown
Now I have this crazy vision of the future where all these lefty liberals turn into right wingers.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Go home biden... 😶
edit on 15-1-2020 by Oppositeoftruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
I see no credible argument as to why ratification cannot be revoked.

As for a timeline, the Supreme Court will need to decide, but common sense suggests some kind of reasonable time limit needs to exist, for exactly this reason. The 1970's were over 40 years ago. Most of the people who voted for this amendment back then are probably dead by now.

I'm not sure what bearing living or dead should have, but circumstances can definitely change in 40 years, making the original premise largely irrelevant.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I'm am so grateful you mentioned such...

Watch-out...

Women Overtake Men in Workforce

mg

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I guess that would depend if they acquiesced to payer their share of taxes, something the territories you mentioned have not agreed to.

They love the federal aid, but are not willing to pay the price for the right to vote. Don't make out like they are being being taken advantage of.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join