It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ronaldo or Messi?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I know this is a really generic football question (soccer) but i cant believe its not been asked on here.

In my opinion Ronaldo edges it by far.

Hes older than Messi so to keep doing it at his edge, and doing new things (how he plays today is different to three years ago), but to keep adding to his game at almost 35 is unbelievable!

Also, Messi has never done it on the international stage, and theres always the question could he cut it in the premier league - Ronaldo has shown he can, but its unlikely Messi will ever answer that!

I definatly think Ronaldo edges it when you take into account his age, the numerous scenes hes achieved greatness be it all over Europe or Internationally.

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Messi - easily better.
The international stage is not relevant - as money can't buy team mates. Fate has it that Portugal have been blessed with better players than Argentina over the era of Messi and Ronaldo.

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: PandaPrincess

100% Messi. I think he's truly a better player technically, and then there are Ronaldo's personal traits that leave him unlikable.

Mbappe will easily pass both of them, I believe. ❀ Crazy how the younger generations are making leaps and bounds when it comes to skill.

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 06:27 AM
link   

They're both tax dodging scumwads but in footballing terms it's a tough call , for me Messi is the more lethal in front of goal and more likely to score from set pieces but Ronaldo is probably the better footballer.

If I was a manager looking at both I'd buy Messi.

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Messi, more of a team player, which i'd always take over individual talent.

Mbappe needs to get out of that French league, but I do love him.

...and as an LFC fan ...

#Mbappe2020 πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: valiant

😍 If we bagged Mbappe? What a fall we could have from that height. πŸ˜‚ They'd have to make a new league for us.

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Yes! lol

The rest of league are losing there minds right now as it is, it's crazy to see. If we somehow bagged Mbappe, I think we would be responsible for even more mass delusion with the domination that would come 🀣

Imagine an attacking force of Salah, Mane, Firmino and Mbappe ..... Dear God! 😍

edit on VamSunday14am131 by valiant because: YNWA

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: valiant

Bring back Fabinho so the " 'inho's" are complete and ... perfection. Premiere League has never seen a team this set.

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Yes, we have missed Fab, I can't wait til he's back. Crazy how good we've been without him, and yet we will be better when he's back, that's scary!

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Yeah, I'd say Ronaldo too. Messi always have better players in his team than Ronaldo and that makes it easier for him.

Now, on top of everybody is Pele. He invented most of the moves that all these guys do today.

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I agree, Messi is lethal in front of goal and terrifies defenders when hes weaving his way into the box. Ronaldo, much as I loathe his personality and sportmanship is more a footballing showman and is unbelievable with his skills and has scored some amazing goals.

But I think Messi edges it purely through how ruthless he is in the box.

side note, my 8 year old came in about 20 mins before i saw this thread asking me who is better Ronaldo or Messi because hes arguing with his friend about it

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Ronaldo.

Only because of what he's achieved on the international stage

He practically won the Euro's with Portugal on his own 4 years ago. Like he carried them.

This comment here,

The international stage is not relevant - as money can't buy team mates

Is totally relevant for the exact reason in the quote...

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Messi don’t get me wrong to also I believe is better on paper but watching messi is something special. Ronaldo is amazing, I just think messi is a more technically gifted player.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge
Ronaldo.

Only because of what he's achieved on the international stage

He practically won the Euro's with Portugal on his own 4 years ago. Like he carried them.

This comment here,

The international stage is not relevant - as money can't buy team mates

Is totally relevant for the exact reason in the quote...

Not sure what you are on about - the Portugal side that won Euro 2016 was a fantastic team.
Ronaldo only played 25 minutes of the final and scored the same number of goals that Nani did in the tournament.
Ronaldo certainly did not carry that team.

WC stats all time:
Messi 6 goals and 5 assists
Ronaldo 7 goals and 2 assists.

NEITHER have lit up the world stage at World Cup level.

Romalu Lukako has a better goals per game record than Ronaldo at international level - why? Because he plays for Belgium. It doesn;t mean he is better than Ronaldo.
Ali Daei of Iran carried his team - scored 109 international goals and had a better scoring rate than Ronaldo.
The variance of who you play for and how good your team mates are is huge in international football - rendering those competitions irrelevant when it comes to player comparisons.
George Best is still one of the greatest footballers to ever live, but he played for Northern Ireland.
edit on 13/1/2020 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 05:49 AM
link   
At club level if a great player is surrounded by great players it is helpful for him to play superb football. Being in a team of great players elevates the greatest players to another level.

At international level if that great player doesn't have a team full of great players around him, then his talent is put to the test. It will be harder for him to excel in a team of average players by his standards. In Ronaldo's case Portugal won the Euro's, Messi has won nothing.

The international stage is totally relevant for this reason, the best should stand out even more. They should drag their team to winning matches.
What would Argentina achieved if Messi had played brilliantly for them? The world cup?
Its well known that he doesn't play well for Argentina and consequently they dont win much.

Look what Portugal did 4 years ago with Ronaldo playing out of his skin.

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 04:24 PM
link   
When other players fowl Messi, He jumps up and gets on with the game.
When they fowl Ronaldo, he rolls around on the pitch for 10 minutes.
Messi is more of a team player, Ronaldo always looks like he is out there to make himself look good.

new topics

top topics

join