It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proposed bill would ban cellphone use for anyone under 21.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Well, you asked for it. In the state of Vermont, the 14th state to do so, raised the smoking age to 21, same as drinking.

It was a bold move, but now, it's being pushed even further. Introducing bill S.212 ban cellphone use in the state of Vt, for peoples under the age of 21. I mean, according to a local news source:

According to the legislation, there are links between cellphone use by people under the age of 21 to a rise in driving fatalities, suicides, mass shootings and terrorism.

www.wboy.com... hJw

It's a big problem. Cell phones are for legit adults only. Raise age to 25 at least.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Maybe kids in Vermont would rather commit suicide than live there.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 10:54 PM
link   

We need to make Humans Tough again!!

What a bunch of technological Nancy's we've become.

When that grid goes down...then what?

Go Camping people!!!

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 10:56 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 10:57 PM
link   
While I think there are many downsides to cell phone's and still do not carry one myself most of the time I understand why a lot of parent's would want there children to always have one on them, contact them to check they are safe, let the kid's have camera's on there phones to message about weirdo's and other potentially dangerous encounters etc these thing's are the bane of normal human interaction, people are not meeting in the old fashioned traditional human way any longer.

So how safe are your kid's, will this region of the US then become a magnate to child abusers that will snatch more kid's knowing that they are even less likely to be captured if the kid's do not have cell phones.

On the other hand what are your kid's doing with there cell phone's, it not all good and there are a lot of bad thing's such as cyber bullying, drug dealing and worse that they also get used for.

Other than that, they link kid's to the information super highway like never before and this can be damaging to regional traditions, cultures and religious community's eroding them by filling kid's heads with idea's they otherwise would never have encountered so some traditionalist staunch conservatives may believe this is the best option a bit like a digital chastity belt.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

I searched, nothing came up!

oh well... either way, I think the man who proposed the bill had a telling tale:

“I have no delusions that it’s going to pass,” he told the Barre Montpelier Times Argus newspaper on Wednesday. “I wouldn’t probably vote for it myself.”

It wasn't a serious bill. He was protesting the smoking age.

Close thread.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

The internet is becoming a dangerous tool.

And it's slowly being integrated into our everyday lives beyond the sit down computer, in fact it's starting to seep into our normal life. I think this in itself is a dangerous route.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 11:11 PM
link   

You are correct, couple that with the amount of EM emissions from often very powerful hand held transceivers in these phones and there cell towers and while the pro mobile lobby will deny they cause any harm or can cause any harm the actually growing evidence that in fact they do cause harm and you have some pretty damning information that could in the future lead to a mass of legal cases brought against the mobile manufacturers, cell networks and even government's by those whom will have good cause to believe there illness may then be related to the past use of these devices both actively and passively, not only cell phone users but people living and working in close proximity to these potentially dangerous cell towers.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Want my Mobil device, pry it from my cold dead hands.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 12:03 AM
link   

I hate legislating morality attempts. Yet, there seems to be little other option.

The sad truth about cell phones is--particularly young children's brains are being distorted--read damaged--by chronic early cell phone etc. use. I think that's child abuse.

We'd best maximize the capacities of children's brains, NOT limit them.

I think such a law would be very difficult to enforce, however. I'd rather see a successful education, social customs etc project that made it a very truly deplorable thing to do. That folks who allowed their children to use & abuse such tech would be socially censured, rebuked.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 12:44 AM
link   
This is what happens when a Democrat is elected to local , state , of federal office.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
This is what happens when a Democrat is elected to local , state , of federal office.

It was done as a protest to the governmental limiting of freedom gor adults aged 18-20 who want to smoke.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 01:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

originally posted by: Gothmog

It was done as a protest to the governmental limiting of freedom gor adults aged 18-20 who want to smoke.

What was done ?

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 08:55 AM
link   
No coincidence that its Vermont, this is right in line with Bernie's philosophies.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 08:57 AM
link   
As was pointed out, there is an ongoing discussion here.

Thread Closed

new topics

top topics

join