It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neil Peart, Drummer and Lyricist of Rush, Dead at 67

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Man, this sucks. Never knew that he even had cancer. Very sad day for his bandmates, family and fans around the world.

Neil Peart, the drummer and lyricist for Rush, died Tuesday, January 7th, in Santa Monica, California at age 67. The cause was brain cancer, which he had been quietly battling for three years, according to Elliot Mintz, a spokesperson for the Peart family. A representative for the band confirmed the news to Rolling Stone.

www.rollingstone.com...

edit on 1/10/2020 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

I just made a thread a couple minutes after yours.

Yeah this is stunning, I am kind of speechless.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 03:51 PM
link   
He was an amazing drummer. I'm really sorry to hear that. RIP Neil....

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Well that explains his retirement then , Neil was a percussionist at heart and that flowed through to his hands , he was supremely talented and incredibly inventive an inspiration to any who've picked up a stick.

So very very sad.

RiP Neil Peart ...Respect.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 04:02 PM
link   

man... what a horrible way to start a year...

one of the best of all time!!

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Awe man.

Another legend gone.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Wow. Rush has been one of my favorites for over 30 years... this sux.

I got pulled over for speeding once, in Phoenix back in the mid-90s. The officer asked why I was driving well over the posted speed limit... I was honest with him. I was listening to "Moving Pictures", at high volume... and got carried away, a bit. He gave me a warning, said that "he totally understood"...

Rush fans are heartbroken...

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I’m not one for celebrity accolades when they die.. But RUSH was part of my growing up years and Neil Peart was always my favourite drummer, not only because he could drum like a God but because he had been through so much in his personal life.

You’re with your wife and daughter now Neil.. RIP

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Proving that even Gods aren't immortal.
R.I.P. and thank you.
If I could, I'd post YYZ live in Brazil, but I can't atm.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 04:29 PM
link   
This sucks. Rip Neil. You will be sorely missed. Sad day for Rock and Roll. This guy could flat out play.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Man been a huge Rush fan since I was 16 and saw them in concert in the 80's was listening to SPIRIT OF THE RADIO just last night. That sucks RIP Neil

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Had to bust out my best bourbon and put Rush on the turntable ! This sucks .... RIP Neil .

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Awesome drummer

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 04:57 PM
link   

We all know it is going to happen to each one of us. I am OK with that. I came to terms with my demise before I was even a teenager (family tragedy stuff, screws over your world view for a while). But that is me and my existence. This?!?!!

Call it what you a will, a tragic ending to a decade of tragedy, or, a brave battle to the end despite all the personal tragedies beset upon him, Neil Peart was the last piece of the puzzle that took a Zepplin wannabe band to greatness to rock-n-roll godhood!!

I learned so much about music from that band! I learned how to count measures, learned repeats, the verse-chorus-verse structure of songs... and how to deviate from it. I learned drum programming, not being able to do it myself as a "real drummer" or even come up with such cool and mystic rhythms, but step writing in note-by-note the whole entire of Moving Pictures which gave me the opportunity to jam with the man anytime we wanted!!

I've tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat as I type this... yet there is this overwhelming sense of happiness that all those hours spent in my living room, my friends' bedroom, and out in the garage with our drummer, Yam Aha, (and his brother, DX-7... I think there was Korg in there too), running though Rush song after Rush song. We could even set a tempo and pause/stop a simple pattern to play along with older songs (fond memories of Working Man), that is how a teen aged kid in the middle of nowhere Alaska could sit at the feet of the masters and learn.

I am very glad that, grief stricken over the death of his wife and daughter, he hopped on his bike and headed to my neck of the woods. He said it was a relief when people would recognize him then leave him alone instead of gushing forward like a teenaged girl fawning over the Beatles. He said he loved the Kenai and that is good enough for me!!

Thanks for the wonderful times jamming with us!

We love you too, Ghost Rider, may this next journey have less heart ache than this one!!

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Peart was a legend, and sadly, he's now on his way toward becoming history and eventually, myth.

RUSH was one of my first favorite bands, and I still listen to them today.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 05:01 PM
link   
About a year after the wife and I were married ( 25 years ago ) I had Rush on in my truck and she said " I don't care for Rush ." I told her that " I dont think I can remain married to you ... this is F*CKING RUSH !!!" .and almost made her get out and walk home .

edit on 10-1-2020 by whenandwhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Sad indeed, but what a legacy and a mark he made on the world, not only as a master percussionist and kickass rock drummer but a profound lyricist as well, with deep and meaningful thoughts. His style was so innovative and brought a more detailed and tight dynamic drumming to the scene. He and Getty and Alex could only do what they have done because of their unique talents and chemistry, which is why they are one of the greatest bands of all time, both timeless and unmatched. I always think about the future, say 100 years and beyond, up on Mars or other planets and how some bands/music will always be cool and enjoyable to listen to and Rush will be one of those bands I believe.

RIP Professor

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Just when you thought the world couldn't get any more empty!

This was one headline I never thought I would see. This really sucks. Of all the musicians in the world - this guy was king. His lyrics and his music filled me through all my years as a teen and gave me a lot of wisdom and depth to my soul.

I'm afraid to say, I don't believe this one can ever be replaced. He was truly one of a kind. Now he can be with his first wife and daughter.

RIP Professor
edit on 10-1-2020 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Suddenly you were gone
From all the lives you left your mark upon - Afterimage - 1984

...the bell tools for thee - Losing It - 1982

Utter devastation. This decade has sucked. Jon Lord, Ronnie James Dio, Keith Emerson, Greg Lake, Chris Squire and now this. My heart goes out to his family.

No one has had more of an influence on my musical mind more than Neil. Over three decades of fandom for me and thousands of miles traveled to see Rush. I've spent more money collecting Rush albums, cassettes, cd's, bootlegs and memorabilia than on any five or ten other bands. Neil and the guys have become the best friends I never had. His lyrics have helped shape the person I am and I am grateful he took that responsibility seriously.

Man, words are so useless. R.I.P. Pratt

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Oops. DP. But I'll use this to post this. Hope Neil is in his Garden.

edit on 1/10/2020 by TheSpanishArcher because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join