It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRAN Was No Match Against U.S. Firepower in 1988. The Same Applies Today.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Tuesday, January 7, 2020

This past Friday, the United States Military killed Qasem Soleimani. Soleimani was an Iranian terrorist-General who oversaw the murder of at least 600 Americans, along with the physical and mental maiming of thousands more U.S. citizens, all over the world, for at least 2 decades.

The blood-thirsty U.S. news media, and their guest "experts", are excitingly referring to an "Escalating Crisis" between the USA and IRAN, due to the Trump administration bringing justice to this terrorist who specialized in killing and maiming innocents.

That 5-second execution of a hardened terrorist, is not a "Crisis". And since Iran has yet to launch any significant retaliatory strike, there is no "Escalation".

If recent history is a guide, Iran will not fare well, if the regime kills (or tries to kill) more Americans...or destroy American assets.

In 1988, after several provocations, the United States (President Ronald Reagan) decided to teach Iran a lesson. In just one day, "Operation Praying Mantis" inflicted a heavy toll upon Iran's Navy and off-shore oil platforms. There was NO loss of life on the U.S. side. Some highlights from that day.

Following the mining of the U.S. frigate Samuel B. Roberts on April 14, 1988, the Reagan administration ordered a retaliatory strike designed to bloody the nose of Iranian naval forces—without tipping over into full-out war.

In Operation Praying Mantis, Navy surface-action groups Bravo and Charlie proceeded to dispatch two Iranian oil platforms with ease, early on the morning of April 18, and then sunk the Iranian missile boat Joshan when she came to investigate.

At 12:50, two Iranian F-4 Phantom fighters came barreling towards SAG Charlie. Destroyer Lynde McCormick locked on with her radar and fired two long-range SM-2 missiles. The first tore half the wing off one of the Phantoms and raked its fuselage with shrapnel. Both Phantoms belted back to their base in Bandar Abbas.

Forty minutes later, the Iranian Revolutionary Navy dispatched squadrons of Swedish-built Boghammar boats to attack commercial targets across the Gulf. The USS Enterprise scrambled A-6E Intruder jets. One of the attack planes released a Rockeye cluster bomb over the motorboats—carpeting them with 247 one-pound bomblets. Surviving motorboats raced to Al Musa island, where their crews ran the boats aground and fled. Altogether, three of Iran's motorboats were sunk in various actions that day.

Finally, at 3:30, an Iranian Saam-class frigate was detected leaving the harbor on radar by an A-6E jet from attack squadron VA-95—fully loaded with a ship-busting “War at Sea” weapons package.

An orbiting Intruder swiftly detected the frigate Sabalan—and was detected by her.

The frigate launched three surface-to-air missiles at the Intruder. All missed, and the jet promptly retaliated by dropping a 500-pound laser-guided bomb directly into the ship’s "stack". The stricken Iranian frigate came to a dead stop, its stern drooping into the water.

The crippled Sabalan was now defenseless, and the Intruder pilot asked permission to engage in a second attack run.

But an unlikely angel came to Sabalan’s rescue.

The Joint Chiefs of Staff had been monitoring the engagement throughout the day. When the request came in to finish off Sabalan, Admiral William Crowe told Secretary of Defense Frank Carlucci, “Sir, I think we’ve shed enough blood today.”

SOURCE: nationalinterest.org...’s-largest-sea-battle-world-war-ii-was-iran-82501

It's likely that U.S. military technology has advanced at a significantly faster pace than Iran's has, since 1988. In fact, just 6 months ago, Iran's newest medium-range ballistic missile blew up during the countdown, just prior to leaving the pad.

Could there actually be a military "WAR" between the U.S. and IRAN? Destroying most Iran's Navy and Air Force with overwhelming force, doesn't qualify as a "WAR", imo. And we're not going to invade Iran and engage in hand-to-hand combat. I suppose a "Cyber" war is possible though.

-CareWeMust

edit on 1/7/2020 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Could there actually be a conventional "WAR" between the U.S. and IRAN?

When was the last time there was a conventional war?

Even the american revolution wasn't conventional. That is why the rebels won.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 03:18 AM
link   
a reply to: daskakik
I'll change it from "conventional" to "military".

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

edit on 7-1-2020 by MarlbBlack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Its not that we cant kick their arses....its the 20 years trying to leave because of no exit strategy, at a cost of a trillion dollars that is the problem. Oh, that and breeding MORE terrorists.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Maybe Iraq will solve our exit strategy "problem" by kicking us out of the country.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Same show , same penisis . People will die but not those that are responsible. it becomes more & more obvious that Trump just another frontman for the same elite that Obama and the clintons belong to...

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: frenchfries

What should President Trump do, to gain your approval?

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Good.. people have no idea the toll this stupid war has on equipment and people.

Air Force MC rates are atrocious...and you can bet these have been fudged upward.

www.airforcetimes.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 04:40 AM
link   
It seems you are over-optimistic, bro. The game is not as easy as you think. Innocent Americans ! Are you after those who killed innocent Americans ? then you should not go far, they are in white house. SEP11. You are not sure about what you are speaking about, bro. But I am sure Suleimani and the same kind of men are not the ones who kill the innocents.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Good.. people have no idea the toll this stupid war has on equipment and people.

Air Force MC rates are atrocious...and you can bet these have been fudged upward.

www.airforcetimes.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Except I have no doubt Prsident Hillary would have been 10x worse at warmongering. Oh wait....you said penises...never mind.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: maes2
It seems you are over-optimistic, bro. The game is not as easy as you think. Innocent Americans ! Are you after those who killed innocent Americans ? then you should not go far, they are in white house. SEP11. You are not sure about what you are speaking about, bro. But I am sure Suleimani and the same kind of men are not the ones who kill the innocents.

Oh dear - where to start?????

Actually - it seems you are delusional bro.

The game is way more complicated than you'd like to believe, your assurances are greatly misfounded and outright offensive at best.

Do you actually believe that nonsense.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 05:05 AM
link   

We don't want these types pretend approval - that's all it would ever be.

You can lead a horse to water, but can't make it drink......let em dehydrate.

But -

There will be a military war alright once iran bombs Saudi Arabia in order to crash the petro dollar and the economy. This is the only way iran can truly attack with any hope of a short lived win.
edit on 7-1-2020 by CthruU because: 1

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

i agree with that... not a hillary fan , yuck. just stating here trump is swamp too , but a different kind of swamp. Maybe a better swamp. the truth is several levels beyond ultraviolet. Think It's magenta...

In that perspective Iran is just a decoy , not even worth mentioning. Trump trolls a lot. brightens up my day. Like the bugger. but understand he isn't the solution to everything. The real solution is that the masses start to awake see the reality they life in and augment it. in that light Q is only some glue to keep the trump train going. And trump some glue to get the agenda going. War is coming. Innocent people will die. 52 targets.... so old school , mobilize the masses and here we go talking about Iran and war rethoric. Hope you have a peacefull day , cherish it.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 06:37 AM
link   

nothing , he already has my approval his poster above my bed and a Q tatooed on my chest ( ). But I don't like war. WWIII even less. But look at some history , it's all about keeping the populus busy with war. People need to stand up understand that democrats , reps all the same sauce. Although i think reps are in many ways the better choice for enslavement.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I feel the problem is Congress. It has slowly given up its power to the executive. In zero way, shape.or form should the president, ANY, US president be allowed to take military action without congressional approval.
I cant say specificall when it started but ever since Korea, the Exec has been able to make war without Congresses approval.

For instance, did we declare war on Afghanistan? Iraq? And now we are all over Africa. I get why bu cmon...at what price? There is no strategy, so our kids die for nothing gained, and we create a new wave of Jihadis.

You just wait....those women and kids in Syria camps? Gonna be uber hard jihadis.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 07:04 AM
link   
After the retaliation from Iran President Trump should take out Iran's nuclear facilities.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 07:15 AM
link   
of Iran is no match for us, or any country in the ME, why are we killing them non stop for 40years...

I mean if they don't match us, yet somehow were always near their homeland and constantly bombing them and asking why are they retaliating.

The word retaliation itself indicates some wrong doing to compel one to stand up for oneself.

especially if a president is threaten to destroy your country's historical sites

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Obviously, war with Iran is the only answer.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join