It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran: We ate your Head. Operation 'Praying Mantis' (revisited).

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 11:46 AM
link   
On April 19th 1988 (Regan), The US Navy launched Operation Praying Mantis against Iranian targets in the Arabian Gulf.

Due to Iranian interference in the Gulf, one of our ships took a hit - (I remember this well) - the USS Samuel B. Roberts- and that 'hit' blew a massive hole in the ship's hull.

Ten Sailors from Samuel B. Roberts sustained severe injuries. Four were seriously burned. Commander Paul X. Rinn was hurt as well. The ship should have sunk, but thanks to an extraordinary damage control effort by all hands of an extremely well-trained crew, Samuel B. Roberts was kept afloat.

President Reagan is quoted saying,

"They must know that we will protect our ships, and if they threaten us, they will pay a price."

And he meant it.

The U.S. response was fierce. Operation Praying Mantis was the largest of five major U.S. Navy surface actions since World War II. It was the first, and so far only, time the U.S. Navy has exchanged surface-to-surface missile fire with an enemy.
The report goes on to say - in this one day operation - the US Navy destroyed two Iranian surveillance platforms along with sinking two of their ships.
Here's a pic of one of the Iranian Surveillance Platforms - after given a little 'attention' from the US Navy - and, after we gave them fair warning allowing the Iranians to exit the platform before it was destroyed.

In all, Praying Mantis destroyed an Iranian frigate, a gunboat, three speedboats, and damaged another frigate. A Marine Corps helicopter crashed during the operation with two fliers killed in the accident.
US History

So, in case you've forgotten? Or weren't around for these fireworks? What's 'going on' now between the US and Iran is really nothing more than the past revisited.

Iran didn't have the strength for 'War' (on a large scale) back then and I don't believe they have anything more up their sleeve than token posturing at 'revenge' now.

We'll see. And in the mean time it's nice to be reminded of a President (with a backbone) who meant what he said, and followed up on it.

Oh wait, we don't need to be reminded of Reagan these days - We've got Trump.

Operation Praying Mantis

Operation Praying Mantis - 25 years later

edit on 3304Saturday202013 by silo13 because: bold on Reagan

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I was active Air Force at the time,sitting on Guam ready to go.We were tdy to refuel the buff's and rumour was they were loaded with the big boom to level Iran.
a reply to: silo13

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ridgerunner

Thank you for your service Sir.

And I don't doubt Reagan would have continued with a 'bigger stick' if Iran hadn't decided against any more opposition.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Bro!!! All these facts and stuff, no!!!

Trump started WWIII and Twitter told me so, so it is true, 'cos Twitter told me so... so it's true, 'cos...

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 12:18 PM
link   

So the mic have been after iran for a very long time.

Seems trump is just getting in line.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

So the mic have been after iran for a very long time.

Seems trump is just getting in line.

Look back at Iran in the 60's and 70's, that's the country Iran needs to be again. A beautiful country full of hope, a flower in the desert.

Trump isn't going to destroy the country. The people are crying out for change.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Trump is going to make iran great again.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 12:46 PM
link   
So we been air striking all kinds of leadership since 2001 with drone attacks, what makes this one different? This guy was worst than any ISIS leader we have killed, and though he has direct ties to many American deaths he travels around with impunity. Obama has 563 drone strikes so this is nothing new other than Trump is sending a message that no one has immunity if they have done wrong against the US. As I said before, Trump is the only President to ever use a MOAB and that sent a message too.

Anything that Iran does we could retaliate 10 times worst and they know it, so they are not in the position to do much of anything, and they already have a big problem on their hands as the young in the country want a different direction than their tyrannical Government. So one wonders if with the recent up rising in Dec of where at least 1,000 protesters in the first few days of the protests were killed, and more than 12,000 others have been arrested and are under the threat of being tortured or executed has anything to do with this too.

This attack is also a big message to the protesters...

edit on 4-1-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 12:49 PM
link   

What an idiotic thing to say.

If you had said the US is trying to put in place the parameters for the Iranian people to take control of their own destiny I would have thought about that for a minute, but you didn't, so neither did I...think about your pathetic comment that is.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Dat's exactly what he said..

Government is established by a mandate from the masses....yep,

What I read....give the population freedom from the tyyrranny....what I read in his post
edit on 4-1-2020 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this.

These days it seems no one considers history when generating conclusions about world events. It's the History of Right Now and nothing else. Every time something happens, we need to hit the panic button.

I am not downplaying events, but as you outlined there is a backdrop in which to place things for a more grounded perspective.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Only if they PAY him to (a brand new world management business strategy). Eyes may bleed.
edit on 4-1-2020 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

join