It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top of the Hill.....!!!!!!! ....now with pics

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Heh, yep, $15k for that one slab. The guy at the warehouse looked up the price and said..."Well, you have good taste; you picked the single most expensive run of granite we've gotten in since I've been here, over 20 years!"

They had (15) consecutive slabs of it sitting there. Apparently some fabricator came in right before us and bought (14) slabs of the stuff...said he was buying it for a couple, and they didn't even know what all they were going to use it for! That's $210,000 in granite!

The quartzite we bought wasn't much less than that. Generally quartzite is more expensive than granite, but that was some really rare granite (I think they said it was out of Italy or Greece somewhere). Our quartzite is from Italy. In retrospect, I'm glad we got what we did. A lot of the fabricators don't like working with quartzite though because it's so hard (harder than granite is difficult to picture, but I guess it is). I guess it's tough on their diamond milling bits.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

It's true!

That's why I said earlier...as soon as I finish this, then it's off to the living room to tear that up and rebuild it. There I have to tear out two load-bearing walls (one at the corner of the house, so that should be 'interesting'). Install temp supports and then frame out the new construction. Probably wait until spring for that one, because I'm going to have to open the side of the house for that.

In the mean time I'll be framing out an interior 'office-like' space in the out building and running power throughout the building which will be 'fun' because the bottom of the trusses are 18' off the floor.

The other night I lit up the out building with about (10) 1500 watt halogen lamp stands. My neighbor even came over and asked how I was doing this with no power to the out building. No problem, I explained, just working out the generator a little and putting a much needed load on it. That wasn't even 1/2 power on the 45kW genset. Needed to blow the carbon out of the motor.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: rickymouse

It's true!

That's why I said earlier...as soon as I finish this, then it's off to the living room to tear that up and rebuild it. There I have to tear out two load-bearing walls (one at the corner of the house, so that should be 'interesting'). Install temp supports and then frame out the new construction. Probably wait until spring for that one, because I'm going to have to open the side of the house for that.

In the mean time I'll be framing out an interior 'office-like' space in the out building and running power throughout the building which will be 'fun' because the bottom of the trusses are 18' off the floor.

The other night I lit up the out building with about (10) 1500 watt halogen lamp stands. My neighbor even came over and asked how I was doing this with no power to the out building. No problem, I explained, just working out the generator a little and putting a much needed load on it. That wasn't even 1/2 power on the 45kW genset. Needed to blow the carbon out of the motor.

Don't take on any big projects that will take more than the time you got till your sixty one. That is the age many people start saying WTF am I doing, I do not need to be changing things anymore. Remember, when it comes time to hand the house down to the kids, they will want to do their own remodeling to make it their home. You have to put a little of yourself, including some blood, into your house so you feel it is yours. They will not want to live in your house, they will want to live in a house they made their home. Or they will sell it if it is too nice and will fetch a good price. Damn, that rhymed.

<< 1   >>

join