It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: U.N. Must Accept Hezbollah, Kofi Annan Says

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   
United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan said today that Hezbollah must be reckoned with. He was speaking in reference to a U.N. resolution calling for the withdrawal of Syrian forces from Lebanon. The comments come on the heels of a large pro Syrian protest in Lebanon that the group arranged. Hezbollah is a Syrian backed terrorist group which receives funder from Iran.

story.news.yahoo.com
UNITED NATIONS - The United Nations must recognize Hezbollah as a force to be reckoned with in implementing the U.N. resolution calling for the withdrawal of all Syrian forces from Lebanon and the disarmament of the country's militias, Secretary-General Kofi Annan said Tuesday.

He was responding to a question about the disarmament of Hezbollah, which showed its strength Tuesday at a huge pro-Syrian rally in Beirut attended by hundreds of thousands of people who chanted anti-U.S. slogans. Two huge banners read in English: "Thank you Syria" and "No to foreign interference."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As this unfolds, I am wondering if Assad is really in control or someone else is pulling the strings? Mainly Iran I think. Hezbollah gets its funding from Iran, where does Syria get its? Basher Assad is clearly not the man his father was and may have been co-opted early on. However, Is Lebanon strategically important to Syria? Aside form the economic issues that is? From a military standpoint its does serve as a buffer of sorts but thats about it. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

[edit on 3/8/05 by FredT]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I think its whacked that the US president is calling for the full implementation of UN resolutions (syria out, hezbollah disarmed), while the Secretary-General is calling for 'acceptance' of them. What is that even supposed to mean? 'acceptance'? sure, they're terrorists, but, realistically, lots of people in power all across the world are scum, and at least these guys do have the ability to get people to rally around them.

I just don't see teh sense in working 'with' hezbollah now. Given that both they and the 'Cedar Revolution' people are equally popular, why not strongly support the more democratic and independant ones? Especially since they aren't likely to invade Israel or cause other problems in the region, whereas hezbollah, well, thats what they are armed for. Not to say that they can just be ignored and strong armed tho.

On the strategic worht of lebanon, from what I understand, its vital to Syrian military planning, whether its to launch an army against israel or to defend syrian from an israeli army. The israelis also recognize its strategic worth, and occupied the south fora long while no? The Syrians are not going to 'simply' withdraw, despite this current stance of implementing that decade old peace treaty. Not to say that they won't withdraw, but its hard to beleive that they'd leave simply because of an assasination and being unpopular.

TO throw in some more conspiracy, who is running the show over there? Iran supports hezbollah with arms, and syria probably provides intelligence and the staging area that is lebanon. But have the iranians gotten to assad also? Could the whole thing be a plan to blatantly try to assasinate someone, and then withdraw when the people protested, only to be able to come back in at ease when the country goes anarachic? Don't know, that sounds rather silly. Then again, that the iranians would be able to get chalabi to feed the US fake information to help them to destroy iran's enemy iraq sounds 'pretty silly too'.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
TO throw in some more conspiracy, who is running the show over there?

People underestimate Iran. As people underestimated Bin laden etc etc. Iran at the very least has huge influence in SYria at the worst its pulling the strings as I asserted above.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Sorry but I'm confused. The title here says 'UN must ACCEPT
Hezbollah'. The article quotes Annan as saying 'Reckoned with'.
That's different. Saddam was 'reckoned with'. Could someone
help me out as to what exactly Annan was saying.

Anyways ... no one should accept Hezbollah. They are a mass
murdering organization. Their deadly list of crimes is very long.
If Annan is calling for recognition of Hezbollah as a viable and
legitimate government of some kind ... well ... that's just the
cherry on top of the fruitcake sundae. Annan is a criminal and
if he is calling for any kind of acceptance of Hezbollah, then he
has added to his crimes.

www.intelligence.org.il...
www.cfrterrorism.org...

[edit on 3/9/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Based on Goofy-anan's latest spew, the 1989 security council resolution is not going to be enforced..........starting to sound familiar yet? Iraq 19 resoultions no actual action.........

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

People underestimate Iran. As people underestimated Bin laden etc etc. Iran at the very least has huge influence in SYria at the worst its pulling the strings as I asserted above.

Bingo!!!!! People the euphoria of democracy like Bush wants to take credit for it far from the realities of life in Lebanon.

Obviously many doesn't research like FredT and others does, Hezbollah is the one that got a victory with all the mess in Syria, now Syria is to pull out of Lebanon.

Lebanon is Majority members Shiite Hezbollah party members, Hezbollah is a terrorist group.

Hezbollah will never give their arms because they are the only group that have then in Lebanon.

Hezbollah is charge in Lebanon, so what is the victory here?

None what so ever, more power to Shiite majority now ruling in Iraq, Iran and Lebanon.

Yeah.....Now Lebanon is officially a Hezbollah Shiite Iranian backed state.

Does anybody knows if they have enough Christians to form a political party against hezbollah Shiites.?

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Marg hezboolah is not the majority party in lebanon, they have 15-16 seats.
And while the hezbollah rally the other day would have been impressve, (they did get 10,000+ people out there) considering that the anti-syria rally had over one hundred thousand it really wasn't.
The vast majority of lebanese want syria gone.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Well I can not wait to see, what happens with them, after all Hezbollah is just a party, and Shiites is still the majority in Lebanon.

And by the way the conspiracy that Israel had something to do with the bombing in Syria to start a change of events it may probably back fire if the word gets out that they indeed may have something to do with that.

I think the middle east is going to become very interesting to watch.

You can not gamble with the lives of others without repercussions.

[edit on 9-3-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
Iraq 19 resoultions no actual action.........

Indeed. I think that if there is a war with either of those countries, it will follow the same, logical, pattern; address the problem, note the violations, enact internationalist prohibitions against them, and if those fail then strike, as the last resort.

Tho i am beginging to think that there in fact will not be a war.

marg6043
Yeah.....Now Lebanon is officially a Hezbollah Shiite Iranian backed state

Whereas before it was a hezbollah and syrian backed state. Removing the syrians removes the major military power in the state. This in itself makes hezbollah extremely vulnerable, inspite of popular support. The removal of syrian intelligence units may also further weaken hezbollah, which simply has to be in part reliant on it.

You can not gamble with the lives of others without repercussions.

Should this not infact be directed at the syrians, since they are the more likley candidate than the yehudis?

mwm1331
they did get 10,000

Most news sources were citing it as 500,000. A fifth of the entire population, or some such.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   

as posted by Marg
...after all Hezbollah is just a party...

More than a "party" there Marg.
They are a recognized terrorist organization, using and supporting the use of terrorism.
Does someone need to link(s) this for you?

seekerof

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
So if a sea of humans from Lebonon protest the US getting in they're business, you bashblowers think we should still invade? So we should send our family members to die to get rid of troops that are welcome in the country they are in?

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

They are a recognized terrorist organization, using and supporting the use of terrorism.

seekerof

Humm..............how should I take this Seekerof, as an insult to my intelligence or...............just a friendly point.

Don't play with me Seekerof and my knowledge of this terrorist groups.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

as posted by Marg
...after all Hezbollah is just a party...

seekerof

Marg said, "Hezbollah is a terrorist group." Above.

brain burp. Apologies.
[edit on 9-3-2005 by soficrow]

[edit on 9-3-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I think that Seekerof just didn't read the post before the last one I did, and that is where the confusion came about.

Well I see Hezbollah not getting of Lebanon and either of Israel if the news in the Arab world are real and Israel rather than Syria or a terrorist group has something to do with the bombing incident.

Like I said before you can gamble and maybe hit the jackspot but you can also become a loser and lose all.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
As this unfolds, I am wondering if Assad is really in control or someone else is pulling the strings? Mainly Iran I think. Hezbollah gets its funding from Iran, where does Syria get its? Basher Assad is clearly not the man his father was and may have been co-opted early on. However, Is Lebanon strategically important to Syria? Aside form the economic issues that is? From a military standpoint its does serve as a buffer of sorts but thats about it. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
[edit on 3/8/05 by FredT]

My concern is what if Lebanon is not meant to be a buffer, but a staging point for an invasion of Israel. The traditional Syrian route through the Golan Heights has always resulted in disaster, and has also set a useful precedent. The roads, terrain, and perhaps Israel's expectations would make an attack from Lebanon towards Haifa and then through the Jezreel Valley towards Jenin (in support of a crossing of the Jordan) worth trying. Of course I might be somewhat biased in this direction by the fact that the Jezreel Valley is where Meggido, aka Armaggedon is.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Syria will never invade Israel because that will bring US to the rescue, But Israel will have everything to gamble and win if things go well with the instability in Syria.

All alone I have said that I don’t get what Syria had to gain from killing Hariri. Syria has US in his butt since the invasion of Iraq, Syria is not going to go into an act of terrorism to instigate the US.

The job all alone by the bush administration is to destabilize Syria, and to neutralized Israel border enemy the Hezbollah group.

It’s nothing more than Israel will like than to see the fall of Syria just like he did with Iraq. We know that Israel has been complaining and winning about Syria and Iran for a long time.

They know that as long as Syria is whole, Israel will have problems with Hams, Islamic Jihad and Hezbollah.

All alone it seems that the goal is to create a middle east full of chaos, misery, death and ethnic wars, so far this is going on all ready in Iraq, even after having elections.

What the media is not telling us is that the Arab world is pointing fingers at Israel talking about the possibility that they have something to do with the death of Hariri.

"Israel involvement in the crime is a fait accompli, it doesn't need a fortune-teller to inform reality," the Newspaper added in an article published on Thursday.

In Prague, "Bravo" Newspaper said in an analysis that the history of the Middle East tells that Israel was behind all assassination acts which were carried out against Arab figures.

www.arabicnews.com...

Oh!! My!! how dare I post a link to Arab media, well for what I see we are only allowed to see US news of the freedom at work in Syria, and thank the Bush administration for being a savior of the middle east.

But them a British newspaper also posted the suspicions of the bombing attack.

Israel has done deeds like that in the past so what is the problem? We have been fed glory but not the truth. Israel will never be invaded US will never allowed it.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Hizbullah, while committing some transborder aggression against Israel, is mostly a defensive entity. Hizbullah is an inextricable part of lebanese society. People who claim that it is just a fringe group that doesn't have that many supporters and can be easily done away with are kidding themselves. This isn't al-qaeda we're talking about. This is a part of lebanese life, and one that will not go away. 'allah kha'lli al hizbullah!'. You know what that means? It means 'may god keep and protect hizbullah!'. You hear it at least five times a day in the south of lebanon. I know many hizbullah members, and even more people whose communities couldn't function without them.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   
But Hezbollah is a known and documented terror organization. How do you n good conscience open up negotiations with them? The Barbary coast pirates were just such a organization as well and the infant US Navy sailed across the Atlantic to blow them out of the water rather than deal with terrorists. The same should apply here.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Just out of curiosity.

What is terrorism? What does it mean?

[edit on 10-3-2005 by rapier28]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Hezbollah represents a powerful trend among Lebanon's Shi'ites - so if you tackle Hezbollah now, you array the Shi'ites against you

But those Hezbollah demonstrators who were waving the picture of Syria's president, Bashar al-Assad, are raising the question of whose interests they have at heart: If they do have a real vision for a modern, progressive and pluralistic Lebanon, they have to put down Assad's picture.

Rebekka

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join