It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iron Pot Update - Restoration and ID

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets
I found it in a river. The information is in the linked thread. Just click where it says "THIS THREAD" on my initial post. There, you'll also see a video when I found it.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Notoneofyou
Thank you so much for that information about the seam. I was hoping someone recognize itπŸ‘. At least I know now it is at least 130 years old. Awesome!

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Thank you so much. I agree 100% about how lucky I am and yes, I think no other detectorist found something like this. So proudπŸ˜€πŸ‘

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star
I will come back for sure and search for the lid. I just waiting for better weather, here in NJ is cold and windy now.

I promise to make a video if I find the lid. πŸ˜€πŸ‘

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks
That one on etsy that you found is the closest match. Thank you. Now I can tell what it was used for.πŸ‘

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

It really is an interesting find. it seems that fire starter pots of this type are actually called Cape Cod Fire Starter Pots. I looked and saw many different ones but I could not find any that matched your pot (ie round handles, ring just above the belly of the pot).

I am inclined to agree that the pot was manufactured at some point prior to 1890 because of the ground down gate mark. Everything I have read confirms this.

Well you will have an interesting story to tell about it when guests comment on the displayed pot!

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Thanks again. You nailed. I found one in ebay that is almost the same (besides the round handles), the lid seems to be iron too. I must go back and try to find it.

www.ebay.com...

Feels good to reveal what it exactly is it. I found many mysterious objects sleeping in boxes, some of them where too challenging for ATSers, but not this one.

edit on 1-1-2020 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 10:51 AM
link   
about the year 1970, we lived in a old slave house for a year, down in Pawleys Island (the tobacco allotment farm) on 'Po Folks side not the rich folks island side

i got ahold of a Iron Bed with rails, and there was a date cast into the headboard end of Oct 1862...
I was unduly excited & thought that's how old the iron bed (with modest 'S' swirls/curley-Qs) was 100+ years old

over the years...about 1980, our daughter got the refurbished Iron Bed for her bedroom in the family new house we all built in Murrells Inlet...

but back to the point---- > the date that was cast into that section of the Iron Bed headboard frame was the date of the patent of the 'Design' And not the date of the foundery casting/ or when it was made -->
the popular design was cast again-&-again over the decades & was likely came from the foundery in the mid 1910-1920s so that ID on the bottom your looking at might not be a makers emblem...

it might only ID the patent date for that particular iron pot design

best 2 ya in 2020 CE

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio
1910-1920 is old enough to consider your iron bed headboard a great piece of history. WW1, the first Oreo cookie and Hiram Bingham found the Incan city of Machu Picchu.

www.thoughtco.com...

Thanks Udio, you know...., this is one of the reasons I love so much my hobby. First you have all the excitement on the field recovering pieces of history and enjoying outdoors activities, but then there is even more fun when you are back home and try to ID your little treasures and learn a lot in the process. The best moment is always when you finally place it with the rest of your little museum.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join