It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Metamorphosis [YA2020] Non-writer entry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I feel like something needs to change. I spend my days in a never ending rut- eating and hiding. In this vast and dangerous jungle nearly every creature I encounter wants to kill me. I don't know what I have done to deserve this. I am afraid.

I have watched most of my friends and family be brutally ripped apart and devoured by great scaled dragons and flying feathery demons, sometimes even terrifying slithering serpents. Then there is the great and evil giant that is scariest of all with its sharp bladed machines and poisonous liquids, its steps causing great earthquakes. I tremble in fear as I crawl beneath the low hanging leaves or curled up behind one of the massive trunks, but I cannot hide forever.

Always I hunger. The jungle is lush and full. I eat and eat and eat though I do not know why this incessant hunger plagues me so. I must stay under cover of the lush foliage for to be caught out in the open is a death sentence. My fleshy physique is too tasty a treat for the mighty beasts, so I must remain hidden. My hunger grows greater and greater each day. When I think I cannot take another bite the hunger clutches me again and I eat on and on. Yesterday I was so hungry and so concentrated on eating that one of the flying feathery demons nearly had me. I must be more careful!

Today I finally ate enough to feel completely full but now I feel strange and extremely sleepy. I want to take a long nap in a tuft of cool green grass but my body seems to be out of my control. I begin to climb up, up, up a tree. I climb and climb until I am just below the jungle canopy. My brain feels so foggy. I think I will just wrap myself in a silken blanket so the predators don't recognize me and go to sleep. Warm and safe in my blanket...

The woman walks out to her small flower and vegetable garden. As she walks between rows lizards and birds scatter and she even spies a small garter snake curled up on a lush green tuft of grass. As she kneels to begin picking tomatoes off one of the plants she is surprised to see a cocoon hanging from underneath one of the small branches near the top of the plant beneath some leaves, even more surprised that it is moving and something appears to be emerging from the cocoon! She watches with amazement as one of the beautiful wonders of nature plays out right before her eyes. The metamorphosis is complete, and what was once a frightened caterpillar has transformed into a beautiful and majestic butterfly!
edit on 30-12-2019 by GeauxHomeYoureDrunk because: Spelling error

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Nice.

You'll have to read my story for context.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Nice.

You'll have to read my story for context.

You ARE evil.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Well done!

Oddly enough, we have been talking about serendipity and the collective consciousness in this writing contest.

Your post is now a part of that.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Wow! Just finished reading the other stories- guess I should have read them first!
Definitely a collective consciousness kind of thing going on.

Maybe we're all dreaming of Spring?

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk
a reply to: Lumenari

Wow! Just finished reading the other stories- guess I should have read them first!
Definitely a collective consciousness kind of thing going on.

Maybe we're all dreaming of Spring?

Or just great minds thinking alike.

Or twisted minds thinking alike.

I love the writing contests.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Well done Mrs. Groot!

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Nicely Written and well rounded! I'm loving the Different angles on the Theme!

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 04:40 AM
link   
You started the story from a 1st "person" perspective,
Then ended it in a direct 3rd person perspective.
Perfectly done for the theme.
Im going to be looking back at this while writing my story.
Caterpillars/Butterflys have a beautiful story arc all of their own,
I think you picked the best creature. (im jealous because it was my idea,
brb drinking incessantly so I can conjur a new idea from the abstract.)

Well done Geaux! One of my favourites so far.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: SupermassiveBlackHOLE
You started the story from a 1st "person" perspective,
Then ended it in a direct 3rd person perspective.
Perfectly done for the theme.
Im going to be looking back at this while writing my story.
Caterpillars/Butterflys have a beautiful story arc all of their own,
I think you picked the best creature. (im jealous because it was my idea,
brb drinking incessantly so I can conjur a new idea from the abstract.)

Well done Geaux! One of my favourites so far.

Thank you! I wrote my story before reading the rest. I found out afterwards that there is sort of a butterfly theme running through the stories. I think next go around I will read the other entries first, but even if I had this time I'm not sure I would have changed anything- I was just feeling butterflies the day I decided to write.

top topics

join