It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British woman 19, court says she lied about gang rape

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Israelis !
Yes it is totally ok to rape cows!
you cat set them on fire to.
its grate to be a muslim.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: buddha

Probably great to eat people if you are hungry enough.

And i don't know about raw nether, after all, you dont know where they have been, so let's burn the bastards just to make sure.

And at that point, we would probably be more apt to ponder what they taste like rather than whatever religious orientation they used to be.

Point being we probably all taste the same because we are all the same.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
a reply to: Sheye

The whole thing stinks.

I have personal history with the Aegean police and they're not to be trusted.
This really does stink and the UK Foreign office has now stepped in saying they are concerned about the fairness of this court case.

This lady was found to have 3 guys DNA inside her. She was probably raped in my view. She may have withdrawn her accusations for many reasons.
edit on 30-12-2019 by RP2SticksOfDynamite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

Notarized consent forms signed by both parties plus witnesses, while taking breathalyzers and having their blood checked out for other drugs.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: thov420

It sounds like the kind of sex they had in the likes of "Demolition Man". LoL

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Pretty much, but there they didn't even get to bump uglies, had to use those stupid VR headsets... no fun.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Seems the police are presenting evidence without the victim having legal representation

OR medical evidence is seemingly being ignored, for the benefit of political reasons!!?

The UK government is to raise concerns with the authorities in Cyprus over the fairness of a trial in which a British teenager was found guilty of lying about being gang-raped.

The ruling by Michalis Papathanasiou at Famagusta’s district court in Paralimni was immediately and strongly condemned by the defence team and rights groups. They claimed the trial was full of legal irregularities that called the verdict into question and suggested a desire to protect relations with Israel may have influenced the process.

“The judge has been very strict,” she told the Guardian. “He has rejected all the witnesses of defence and our repeated requests to expedite the case.”

The legal aid group Justice Abroad said the trial had been far from fair because Papathanasiou had refused to consider whether the defendant had actually been assaulted.

“We are not surprised by the result given the frequent refusal during the trial of the judge to consider evidence which supported the fact that the teenager had been raped,” said Michael Polak, a barrister with the group.

“Shutting down questioning from our Cypriot advocates and the production of evidence into the trial on a handful of occasions, the judge stridently stated, ‘This is not a rape case, I will not consider whether she was raped or not.’”

Among those called to testify was Dr Marios Matsakis, a prominent forensic pathologist who told the court he was entirely convinced “violence was exercised” during the alleged incident. Scratch marks and bruising on the teenager’s body were “consistent with rape having taken place”, he said.

The defence team later described the confession, extracted after eight hours of police questioning, as the product of coercion. They argued its poor English and grammar made clear that the “highly educated” teenager had not written it.

“We are here to defend a 19-year-old girl who has been horribly punished because of political interests,” said Andri Gioakatzi, who works in one of the sovereign UK base areas in the former British colony. “She has had to pay the price of Cyprus’s desire to have good relations with Israel. That is why she has been through this and they let all the Israeli boys go.”

This is certainly not the first case of rape in Cyprus and certainly not the first time that a rape complaint is ignored, but it also takes place at a very significant time when Cyprus is trying to reinvent its relationship with Israel both economically and as a partner in defence.”

Monday’s verdict also spoke of the desire of authorities to “look good” at a time when Cyprus’s police force is facing unprecedented scrutiny for a string of perceived failures, including in detecting a serial killer who has since admitted killing seven foreign women and girls on the island.

“There is no doubt that this young British woman is a victim of the need to seal that political friendship,“She was an essential sacrifice. We have come to help her belatedly, but help her we will.”

www.theguardian.com...

What price justice?

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

...the judge stridently stated, ‘This is not a rape case, I will not consider whether she was raped or not.’”

That's downright chilling. How can a judge determine if someone filed a false rape claim if he REFUSES to even "consider whether she was raped or not"??? That's exactly what needs to be determined!!!

The UK government is to raise concerns with the authorities in Cyprus over the fairness of a trial in which a British teenager was found guilty of lying about being gang-raped.

I'm happy to see this. I'm afraid at this point her only hope is for the UK government to get involved on her behalf.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
They (the ones who make false claims) definitely need to face charges.

Agreed, and the penalty for said making false accusations, whether rape, or whatever, should always be exactly what the one(s) falsely accused would have faced if convicted.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

That's downright chilling. How can a judge determine if someone filed a false rape claim if he REFUSES to even "consider whether she was raped or not"??? That's exactly what needs to be determined!!!

It is ....... and isn't that precisely why we have juries? which in my opinion

should always consist of 50/50 mix of sex's.

Judges by their very nature tend to be elderly, and mostly men set in their ways,

which in the machismo culture they grew up in - lends to the ringing in my ears of

the old school of *she asked for it* mind set.

Never ceases to amaze me...... How very many *easy women* there are in the

world .......and how few *rapists*

I'm happy to see this. I'm afraid at this point her only hope is for the UK government to get involved on her behalf.

Amazing how quickly the perpetrators were allowed to go! Cleared before the

case against the alleged victim. /SMH.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

Agreed, and the penalty for said making false accusations, whether rape, or whatever, should always be exactly what the one(s) falsely accused would have faced if convicted.

There was a time when I would have agreed. Now I'm not so sure. Generally speaking, I think we imprison far too many people for far too little, and I think much of this is driven by private prisons and free labor for profit. These days, I am reluctant to imprison anyone that is not a threat to the rest of us, and I think we could do better with alternate penalties that actually benefit the victims. Of course violent offenders should be necessarily incarcerated, and house arrest or ankle monitors for serious but non-violent crimes. And so many more options that could be much more effective for non-violent offenders.

In a false rape case, perhaps punishment could start with monetary restitution to the falsely accused for expenses incurred and income lost due to the accusations, maybe automatically tripled? And if it's a married man, then I would consider it a comparable offense against the wife, doubling that! Then add community service -- equal to a guilty sentence for the falsely accused -- performed at a rape crisis center for genuine victims of rape where it can be drummed into her head that her false claims take valuable resources and credibility away from women who have been brutally raped... I can't think of an equivalent for men falsely accused of rape to do community service or I would suggest community service there as well. Then maybe some kind of registry similar to sexual offender registries? It seems to me this is quite the sexual offense!

This is just a start. I haven't thought this through. And I'm sure others could come up with better ideas than me anyway. But I would like us -- society as a whole -- to reconsider prison as the first and only resort. It is a drain on society, and is too easily (and therefore too often) abused. It wasn't an accident that Jefferson enumerated "liberty" as one of our self-evident Natural Rights.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

Judges by their very nature tend to be elderly, and mostly men set in their ways,

which in the machismo culture they grew up in - lends to the ringing in my ears of

the old school of *she asked for it* mind set.

Yup. And that mindset presumes that if she consented to one man then she consented to all!!! I was once actually told by an older man that the penalty for raping a married woman should be less than for raping a virgin, because the woman already consented to the act, so it wasn't the act that was the problem, just the "who"...

Amazing how quickly the perpetrators were allowed to go! Cleared before the case against the alleged victim. /SMH.

Every action -- or in-action -- points to the police never intending to do anything about the rape from the gitgo. It's looking like this is standard operating procedure for them. It's only getting attention because this is a British girl, but for the locals it's just how it is and probably always has been. Just shameful.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   

a reply to: tanstaafl

As one who is in favor of, for the most part, eliminating the entire concept of 'prison' as a long term punishment, I'd be very ok with something alternative.

But yeah, it would need a lot of thought. First place I'd go to for input on what possible consequences could be would be victims of false accusations.

I imagine, in addition to financial restitution for actual damages (attorneys fees, loss of job, etc), one big part would have to be a very public apology, along with a criminal record whereby any testimony from said person would be automatically suspect.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   
So if you sleep with a hooker and dont pay is it rape or theft?

Inquiring minds want to know..

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
a reply to: Sheye

The whole thing stinks.

I have personal history with the Aegean police and they're not to be trusted.

For some reason I trust you completely on that statement.. sorry you had to experience difficult times.

Thank you. I sent you a PM.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea
The police never intended to do anything against the perpetrators and let them return to their own country. But the police (could have let it rest there) then decided to prosecute to show the girl off to be a liar.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

originally posted by: trollz

How do you prove a rape didn't happen?

The same way you prove beyond a reasonable doubt that something did happen - you investigate.
edit on 12/31/2019 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl
First place I'd go to for input on what possible consequences could be would be victims of false accusations.

We would definitely need their input in the ways false accusations harm them, and how to make them "whole" again. I've been looking for any advocacy group for men falsely accused of rape, hoping to find some recommendations, but I'm not finding anything. Perhaps because false accusations are not a widespread problem, or perhaps because the support needed is more legal and social than medical or psychologically traumatic.

I imagine, in addition to financial restitution for actual damages (attorneys fees, loss of job, etc), one big part would have to be a very public apology, along with a criminal record whereby any testimony from said person would be automatically suspect.

I'd rather see a very public retraction and confession... I'm afraid I'd consider the apology more about being sorry for being caught than for the false accusation! But I do like a public record of their false charges for future reference by others.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
a reply to: Boadicea
The police never intended to do anything against the perpetrators and let them return to their own country. But the police (could have let it rest there) then decided to prosecute to show the girl off to be a liar.

I'm betting girls/women aren't inclined to report rapes there very often. If this is what happens to foreigners, it can only be worse for locals. This is cruel and evil.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   

We would definitely need their input in the ways false accusations harm them, and how to make them "whole" again. I've been looking for any advocacy group for men falsely accused of rape, hoping to find some recommendations, but I'm not finding anything. Perhaps because false accusations are not a widespread problem, or perhaps because the support needed is more legal and social than medical or psychologically traumatic.

I'll go along with ^^^^that^^^^

After all a woman would be rather stupid to accuse a man without any

DNA evidence ?

I recall a young woman who kept a blue dress...... wise move !!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join