It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British woman 19, court says she lied about gang rape

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 10:37 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

A 19-year-old British woman who had accused a dozen young Israelis of gang-raping her at a hotel in Cyprus is now facing up to a year in prison after a court found her guilty of lying about the entire ordeal.

The woman, who was convicted Monday on a charge of causing public mischief, could also face a $2,000 fine, according to the BBC. But she is now arguing that police in the island country coerced her into making a false confession — a claim they are pushing back against.

Her lawyers plan to appeal the verdict, telling the BBC that the court violated European human rights laws by basing their conviction in part on a retraction statement the woman gave while she had no attorney present.

Being from North Carolina, I can remember the Duke Lacross incident all too well. In that case, a group of boys were accused of gang raping a stripper. They didn't, she lied, and to this day, those men will have that stigma attached to them, and likely forevermore. This isn't to say horrible things don't happen, but if a lie is told to this magnitude, many lives are going to be ruined, and all for a stupid reason.

The judge presiding over the case said the woman initially falsely reported being raped because she was “embarrassed” that some of the men had used their phones to record her having sex, according to the BBC.

Yet her lawyers said the videos show her having consensual sex with one individual from the group while telling others who were trying to enter her room to leave, the station adds.

So she was consensualy getting it on with a dude, and his buddies were filming it. I'll take a wild stab in the dark and say alcohol was involved.
I heard that Jussie Smollette shook his head at this news.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I had a friend who was falsely accused of sexual assault. I know for a fact it was false because I was present when it supposedly happened. It didn't. In that case, it was because her friends were making fun of her for having made out with my friend, so it gradually turned from regret to nonconsent. There are all kinds of reasons why girls lie about this stuff. Regretting you did something doesn't make it the other person's fault.

This is why women aren't believed. Women who are victims of the real thing are further victims of this type of crap. They (the ones who make false claims) definitely need to face charges.
edit on 30 12 19 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Still not sure about this case. She was without a solicitor at the time her "confession" was given and she says she was forced to write it under duress by the local police.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Yet her lawyers said the videos show her having consensual sex with one individual from the group while telling others who were trying to enter her room to leave, the station adds.

While she did consent to be with one guy.

She did not consent to having a bunch of his friends in the room to record things.

Question is, why did the prosecutor let it go that far if there was video evidence of the incident?

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Her lawyers plan to appeal the verdict, telling the BBC that the court violated European human rights laws by basing their conviction in part on a retraction statement the woman gave while she had no attorney present

Well an accusation such as that could easily be denied, regardless of the truth of the matter. If the police force cannot prove she had representation (and therefore full understanding of the process) then they've seriously #ed this case up and have violated human rights.

The judge presiding over the case said the woman initially falsely reported being raped because she was “embarrassed” that some of the men had used their phones to record her having sex, according to the BBC.

You see, to me it seems like the judge just said a crime of sorts was committed. I'm not sure what the law is in Cyprus yet I can't fathom it's legal to record sex without consent. Moreso if you're apparently not engaged in the activity?

All seems a bit off to me.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I'm withholding judgment for now. She claims that the police forced her "confession."

Briti sh Tourist Who Accused 12 Israelis of Gang-rape Says She Was Forced to Withdraw Complaint

19-year-old woman who was charged with falsely claiming she was raped in July, testifies that the police 'said they would arrest me if I didn’t say I had lied'

This gives her claim some credibility:

In response to a question from one of the woman’s lawyers, he said he didn’t record the interrogation, because he can’t record everything.

Following the hearing, another member of the woman’s defense team, Michael Polak of Justice Abroad, said the text messages she sent to her friends prove that she was under pressure while she was at the police station.

No taped interrogation, no taped confession, equals he said vs she said, and therefore reasonable doubt.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I'll qualify my earlier remarks with the fact that if any woman is said to have made false claims, she is innocent until proven guilty like anyone else. This sounds like a mess.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I'm fairly sure the lack of protocol would have this case thrown out of court in all EU nations.

No taped interrogation, no taped confession, equals he said vs she said, and therefore reasonable doubt.

Sounds like you'd know just as well as I do that proper protocol and documentation are super important regarding things like this.

She might have been lying, but she might also be looking at a nice little windfall in the future too. It's an interesting case.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I firmly believe that if a person lies about being raped, they should face the same prison time as the accused would have had they been found guilty of doing it.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Well if dudes are going to gangbang strippers, consent or otherwise, that Muds no coming off the wall, morality still being a thing.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

What if it's a third person making the accusations?

Crime and accusations ain't all that straight forward.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

The fact or condition of being involved with others in an activity that is unlawful or morally wrong equates to complicity all the same.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Can you elaborate?

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   

To sum up, complicity equates to being an accessory to a crime more often than not.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Well if dudes are going to gangbang strippers, consent or otherwise, that Muds no coming off the wall, morality still being a thing.

Yup, and that's the rub. They didn't do it. But since they were charged, everyone ASSumes they did, hell, you even insinuated it, and it's been known for years they didn't do it.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Mud sticks mate, especially in the information age we find ourselves.

Fling crap against the wall long enough and the lie becomes the truth.

Unfortunately, that's just how Humanity travels.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990
a reply to: Boadicea

I'm fairly sure the lack of protocol would have this case thrown out of court in all EU nations.

Sounds like you'd know just as well as I do that proper protocol and documentation are super important regarding things like this.

Yes. Proper procedure is everything... documentation is everything... evidence and proof is everything.

She might have been lying, but she might also be looking at a nice little windfall in the future too. It's an interesting case.

Well, if she was lying about the rape and she gets a free pass, the police have only themselves to blame for not doing their job properly. I have a feeling it will come down to what -- if anything -- the British government says or does.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
I had a friend who was falsely accused of sexual assault. I know for a fact it was false because I was present when it supposedly happened. It didn't. In that case, it was because her friends were making fun of her for having made out with my friend, so it gradually turned from regret to nonconsent. There are all kinds of reasons why girls lie about this stuff. Regretting you did something doesn't make it the other person's fault.

This is why women aren't believed. Women who are victims of the real thing are further victims of this type of crap. They (the ones who make false claims) definitely need to face charges.

I've known a few guys who have been falsely accused. My next door neighbor was falsely accused. Him and some of his friends stupidly hired a stripper/hooker and ran a train. I guess the hooker didn't think they paid her enough, so she claimed rape. He spent about a month in jail until it was finally sorted out. The "victim" didn't even show up for court. The charges were eventually dropped.

When I was in college, there were a few instances where a female would falsely accuse a male student of rape. In pretty much every case it was more a case of regret. The girl would get drunk and the slut would come out and then after she sobered up, she'd regret sleeping with the guy and then claim rape. Fortunately, in the three instances I know that occurred at my school, the guys all had charges dropped. However, their college careers and lives were nearly ruined.

It is because of stuff like the above that I've never been one to believe in one night stands and porking drunk women. Also avoided sleeping with women at the work place. Just too much risk in jilted lovers trying to accuse you.

Women love to play innocent, but many absolutely know they can falsely accuse a man and will do so to get their way.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Ahh. Yeah that wasn't the line of my thinking.

I was aiming more at "my underage daughter is having sex" or "a friend was taken advantage of and is ashamed to come forward" kinda thing.

Accusations stick and it's not always as straight forward as an ex lover trying to ruin a reputation. Hence my question to Trollz. Although I somewhat agree with his point.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:57 AM
link   

I'm all for his point, can't fault that one.

When is anything ever straight forward in this world all the same?

Perspective is the ticket, but rape is just wrong, as is the implication of such for spurious reasons.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join