It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People Who Are Irritated By Sounds of Chewing and Slurping Are Likely To Be Creative Geniuses

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I had an aunt that was hyper skitzoid. No talking during the meal and no sounds either. Crunching or silverware noises bad bad bad. I was 10 when I blew up and said it's our house and she could leave anytime she wanted. Dad gave me a fake whoping in the barn and I had to spend the rest of the day there. Fine with me. Ma was mad at everybody till she found out dad didn't really whop me the the tears of laughter went on and on.

Aunt demanded an apology I refused and didn't see her for years I was kind of a family hero.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   
There are definitely those, including myself who are sensitive to unpleasant sounds.
My caution is that there are an equal amount who use the irritation as a form of tyranny.
It's not something one should loose friends over. Although I'm not sure living with people that irritate you on visceral level can last.
edit on 000000120122121America/Chicago29 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: rom12345
There are definitely those, including myself who are sensitive to unpleasant sounds.
My caution is that there are an equal amount who use the irritation as a form of tyranny.
It's not something one should loose friends over. Although I'm not sure living with people that irritate you on visceral level can last.

To treat your condition, force yourself to lay down next to the dog dish as the hungry larger dog eats and drinks. Now that makes noisy eaters sound good. It would work better than any psychiatrist would work, unless of course if the psychiatrist was a dog.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 01:32 PM
link   
You mean there are people out there who are actually NOT grossed out by people who never learned to chew quietly with their mouths closed like civilized human beings?

These must be the same folks aren't bothered by people conducting a symphony of farts and groans in a public restroom without courtesy flushes.

And what's with all the breathing? Shut up, people! SHUT UUUUUUP!

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   

To treat your condition, force yourself to lay down next to the dog dish as the hungry larger dog eats and drinks. Now that makes noisy eaters sound good. It would work better than any psychiatrist would work, unless of course if the psychiatrist was a dog.

Dogs are the best psychiatrist !

edit on 000000120152121America/Chicago29 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
You mean there are people out there who are actually NOT grossed out by people who never learned to chew quietly with their mouths closed like civilized human beings?

These must be the same folks aren't bothered by people conducting a symphony of farts and groans in a public restroom without courtesy flushes.

And what's with all the breathing? Shut up, people! SHUT UUUUUUP!

What the heck is a courtesy flush, is that like the self flush toilets that flush when you lean forward to wipe your butt and spray your A$$?

You are better off going into the bathroom to fart than fart in the dining area where everyone is eating.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Double
edit on 29-12-2019 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Doggone it.
edit on 29-12-2019 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
What the heck is a courtesy flush, is that like the self flush toilets that flush when you lean forward to wipe your butt and spray your A$$?

No that's a bidet, which I also recommend for anyone except those subhumans who simply love the feel of wallowing in their own smeared fecal matter. I'm talking about when someone is grinding away on the toilet and they're about to drop a greasy load and blast their ass tuba, just flush the toilet to cover up the noise a little. That's allowed, you know. Not everyone likes to hear you throw a hog down a well.

You are better off going into the bathroom to fart than fart in the dining area where everyone is eating.

Those aren't the only two options!

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 02:57 PM
link   
They should make separate public toilets to keep things from getting out of control.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

I'll say something to my kids, but I'll silently be highly annoyed by anyone else. I'm very likely to leave the room, or otherwise disengage if it reaches a point where I just can't stand it anymore. When it came to someone who had a cleft palette and couldn't breath through their nose when eating (resulting in slurping, loud smacking/chewing and heavy breathing,) I had to put on headphones and listen to something else. The sense of "Please just STOP" would ruin my desire to eat if I didn't.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: rom12345

There is research to suggest that people who are in the gifted range of IQ can have sensory hypersensitivities which may be where this comes from.

I do top out in the gifted range, and I have some sensory hyper-excitabilities. I was the kid who could not wear certain textures or stand to have tags in my clothing, for example. I have a hyperactive imagination. I was also a very physically active kid, and that can be another sensory excitability. My mother gave up on grooming me and just gave me short haircuts until I was old enough to comb and brush my own hair because I couldn't stand to have my hair pulled on at all -- it hurt my scalp, and I'm still hypersensitive to touch to this day. And that's likely where my problem with fingernails and cardboard, both sound and feel, come from.

For some kids, it's debilitating.

Hmmm, this is totally me. I have such a huge amount of things that drive me to distraction and can actually keep me awake at night. My pajama legs riding up above my knees? Nope. That wakes me up and I have to fix it. My toes being too tightly bound by blankets? Can't stand it. Blankets trapped under me? Same thing. Have to untangle.

Any sort of scratchy tag or thread in clothing will keep me utterly frazzled until I figure out what it is and get rid of it. Hair anywhere around my face is like fingernails on chalkboard to me. I'll worry at a splinter or thorn in my skin until I've straight up started bleeding because I can't deal with that feeling that something is sticking in there.

Quiet buzzing noises like a light is a no go. I will find the source of it and if possible, silence it. If not, I leave the area. I can't deal with it. I must have very good hearing on the higher and lower ends, because I'm constantly asking the kids if they can hear stuff and they usually can't unless I can get it quiet enough that they themselves can pick up on it.

Certain food textures like cheese and avocado make me gag. Anything rubbery like boiled shrimp, ditto. Don't get me started on biting into a steak or roast and finding gristle in my mouth. Gross.

As for smells, ranch or cesar dressing will make me straight up vomit. Same for tartar sauce. Garlic smells like burnt rubber to my nose. Olive Garden is one place I will not set foot in, ever, for this reason. Any sort of heavy musky perfume or cologne will make me recoil. People who slather on the Axe body spray or deodorant deserve a special place in hell. Truly.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I recently read a study saying that people who can’t sense the smell of male cow poo (BS) are genius too. I guess I’m a dumb idiot fool, because I can smell it a mile away.
edit on 29-12-2019 by 38181 because: BS

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Can't stand crunchy chewing, like chips/crackers etc. Somehow, it's even worse when the person has a closed mouth. Like a hollow crunch, crunch, cruuunch.. Absolutely drives me insane. I'm ok with slurping or soft/squishy chewing. I can even totally tolerate scratching on chalkboard.

I absolutely hate the sound of sneezes and when people snap their fingers.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 06:06 PM
link   
In other words, use your jazz hands don't trigger the delicate geniuses. Got it.

edit on 29-12-2019 by DietWoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

More narcissistic than someone who'd fit into the misophonia category - IMO, and yes, I know, I don't have to 'imagine' what living with someone as you described is like.

It's hell.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Join the thread on “misophonia”...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Mine is bored people with click pens mindlessly clicking away when there is no noise or they are not talking.

One would say Dexter is nice.... (grerrrrr)

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Dry erase markers squeaking on a dry erase board, ugH

Also, while not sound related, but equally horrible, cotton balls on dry fingertips. Major chills.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I've known a few artists that had that issue. A fork hitting teeth should be on the list.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Lip smacking...and that noise people make with their teeth and smacking???!!?!?!

Fluorescent light hums, or most electrical hums....and any noise that doesn't "belong" in my immediate area is irritating.

Those irritations....well, not sure that has anything to do with my creativity or lack thereof

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join