It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vick as honorary Pro Bowl captain?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Michael Vick as honorary Pro Bowl captain - What are your thoughts on this?
We know that years ago he was sentenced to 23 Months in Jail for his role in a Dogfighting ring on his property and he was charged with a "cruel and inhumane" dogfighting ring and lying about it. Cruel and inhumane - to me those are nice media fluff words for what he was a part of. I think he's a sick individual and I don't care if he served time and is a supposed animal rights activist now. He is a POS and he shouldn't be honored in any way. In fact he should be stripped of everything and left outside to rot.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Skorpiogurl

I'm guessing that he had no offers from the Puppy Bowl...

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 01:48 PM
link   

The NFL isn't exactly known for there accountability for morality.... Unless you decided to smoke pot instead of take the pills, that will get your ass suspended.

If you beat a woman or an animal though, it's due to CTE... Poor guys and their concussions.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150

I'm guessing that he had no offers from the Puppy Bowl...

I laughed harder than I should have at that.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   

I honestly haven't watched NFL since the whole original Kaepernick kneeling incident. Glorifying Vick after what he did (I've seen the pics and read testimony) it just solidifies my decision to continue with my boycott.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

I honestly haven't watched NFL since the whole original Kaepernick kneeling incident. Glorifying Vick after what he did (I've seen the pics and read testimony) it just solidifies my decision to continue with my boycott.

Don't you find it odd that it takes some dude kneeling to really tick you off though? Isn't that in the same realm of virtue signalling given all the heinous actions guys got a slap on the wrist for?

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Yeah all good valid comments.

The whole thing is disgusting and I know for the NFL and other leagues it comes down to money. If he is capable of doing that to small defenseless animals imagine what he might capable of doing to a child? It's shameful and embarrassing being part of a human race that makes people like him a hero! It's shameful that what they wear on field are called 'uniforms', they are not uniforms. Soldiers wear uniforms, police, firefighters and EMS wear uniforms. They are wearing costumes! Some comments I read in other forums indicated that it was OK because he had paid his dues. As far as I'm concerned he'll never pay his dues for something so heinous. Not until he meets his maker anyway. The whole taking a knee thing turned me off as well. And the whole Nike thing following the knee thing. It's sad!

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Oh that scumbag?

I guess don't care seeing as how I dont gaf at all about football.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Don't you find it odd that it takes some dude kneeling to really tick you off though? Isn't that in the same realm of virtue signalling given all the heinous actions guys got a slap on the wrist for?

Actually the kneeling incident was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Actually the kneeling incident was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

I just find it weird that's such a strong point of contention.

After all the women beaters, murders, ect ect....

A dude not standing for the Pledge of Allegiance is what really pisses people off?

What he did was stupid, not wrong. And getting mad at the NFL is comical seeing as he doesn't have a job there anymore. BTW, the NFL takes a bunch of money from the DoD to promote the military (I'm not necessarily against that, just pointing out they're not "anti America").

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

In actuality the Michael Vick conviction came before the Kaepernick incident (around 2006 or 2007 I believe). Yes, a lot of NFL stars got away with a hell of a lot of crime, drugs and spousal abuse, rape, DWIs, pretty much anything you can imagine for years and years. Then there is the issue of teams still playing players despite those things- and also despite life threatening injuries and brain damage. I started straying away little by little and was down to only watching the Superbowl after a guy I grew up with who played in the NFL became so brain damaged that he is in full time care for the rest of his life.

The Kaepernick incident just ended up sealing the deal for me. Just like Hollywood stars using the platform for politics lately finally sealed the deal on no longer spending my money on going to the theater. Entertainers (and athletes are also just entertainers) think too much of their own hype and I choose not to buy any of it any longer.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 03:24 PM
link   
He paid his debt to society. Let’s move on.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

A dude not standing for the Pledge of Allegiance is what really pisses people off?

I'll own it, yes it pissed me off. I used my freedom to quit watching and buying things from the NFL. I didn't even care about people beating their wives or Michael Vik fighting dogs because it wasn't political. I just don't want politics in my football, especially when they want to use the National Anthem to push said message.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Honestly? I grew up in a state where dog and cock fighting were both commonplace well into the late 90s. It was federally illegal, sure, but New Mexico, Oklahoma, Louisiana, even Texas didn't enforce that law very well. Most of us didn't see it as a big deal and recognized the difference between a pet and an animal being raised for a specific task such as fighting, working cattle, or hunting dog. If you recognize that the actual reason it was made a federal crime in the 70s had absolutely NOTHING to do with animal welfare and everything to do with the feds trying to stop any activity, like gambling, which the IRS couldn't easily collect their dowry off of, it sort of adds some perspective to things.

Personally, I didn't view Michael Vick with any disdain. He did not wrong me, nor did I feel he owed me or society at large any degree of debt. They threw a guy in prison over a non issue in my mind... typical government gangster nonsense. I'm happy he was able to return to the NFL for a time and reorganize his financial situation so he was ultimately able to retire comfortably. I'm equally happy that he's got the opportunity to continue to make a living off of football through activities such as this honorary captain role. I didn't think much of him as a QB (he was an amazing athlete and the best running QB the game had seen, but his actual passing game wasn't ground breaking) but as a human being he's always been alright in my book.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 05:02 PM
link   
People make mistakes. I doubt he's still up to his old antics. If someone gave me $30 million when I was in my early 20's, nothing would've been off limits I'm sure. I'm sure he regrets that point in his life.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 06:01 PM
link   

The Pro Bowl is a joke....so they got the right guy.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Honestly? I grew up in a state where dog and cock fighting were both commonplace well into the late 90s. It was federally illegal, sure, but New Mexico, Oklahoma, Louisiana, even Texas didn't enforce that law very well. Most of us didn't see it as a big deal and recognized the difference between a pet and an animal being raised for a specific task such as fighting, working cattle, or hunting dog. If you recognize that the actual reason it was made a federal crime in the 70s had absolutely NOTHING to do with animal welfare and everything to do with the feds trying to stop any activity, like gambling, which the IRS couldn't easily collect their dowry off of, it sort of adds some perspective to things.

Personally, I didn't view Michael Vick with any disdain. He did not wrong me, nor did I feel he owed me or society at large any degree of debt. They threw a guy in prison over a non issue in my mind... typical government gangster nonsense. I'm happy he was able to return to the NFL for a time and reorganize his financial situation so he was ultimately able to retire comfortably. I'm equally happy that he's got the opportunity to continue to make a living off of football through activities such as this honorary captain role. I didn't think much of him as a QB (he was an amazing athlete and the best running QB the game had seen, but his actual passing game wasn't ground breaking) but as a human being he's always been alright in my book.

I grew up in the south and dog fighting was definitely common. Not my cup of tea, but I don't think it is any more brutal than say horse or dog racing. Two men get in a ring a duke it out and no one bats an eye.

I had an acquaintance that was into dog fighting big time. His back yard looked like a Gold's gym with dog equipment. Treadmills, weights, etc. He would feed them all kinds of supplements, strict diets, etc.

His fighting pit bulls weren't all that big compared to the frankenstein pitbulls people breed to show off. They were really small and muscular. Game dogs as he called them. Built for endurance. He said that the better fighters take care of their animals, but admitted the gangster element could be pretty brutal to non performing dogs. He showed me some underground magazine that had win records and fight recaps. It was kind of hilarious. If you didn't know it was about dogs, you would have sworn it was some sort of boxing league magazine how they described the fights.

Reminds me of this scene in the wire. Cops wiretap a drug dealer, Cheese. He is crying about his homie getting killed. The police think they have some dirt on him. Come to find out, he was talking about his fighting dog! LOL.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 06:58 AM
link   
And to those of you who think he paid his dues - paid his dues by whos standards? Humans?

If you'd actually read the article, and what he did to those dogs, and if you'd seen the photos. I mean fighting dogs is one thing - but blatantly torturing and abusing the ones that didn't perform well enough? I don't #ing think so. The guy is a piece of #.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Actually I said he had no dues to pay... by logical standards. Remove the emotion from your judgement and all Vick did was use working animals for the purpose they had been bred and raised to serve.

Your assessment of him is skewed.

posted on Dec, 26 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   
It's horsecrap as far as I'm concerned. He paid whatever price society asked him to pay, I get that, but to be further honoured in this way is shameful. Meanwhile Kaepernick is being blackballed for simply exercising his right to protest. It's ridiculous.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join