It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Dog Earned His Wings

page: 1

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Sometimes I mentioned him here, he was my son, my boy. Now he's gone, it was pretty quick. We tried so hard to save him, 3 hospitals couldn't help him, too old and sick. He was suffering and I had to take the hardest decision of my life, my daughter was with me and we cried together while the doctor put him to sleep. He was a 3 months old shelter dog when we adopted him, he was very skinny because parasites. We were almost 10 years together.

It's been 2 weeks since then, today I'm writing this, thinking I can handle it. I can't. I'm crying like I did since he left but I need to do this to honor him and also because the little miracle that happened a week ago.

But before I tell you that story, I'd like to quote myself using a previous post about him I did in other thread.

originally posted by: Trueman

My daughter was about 8 years old and told me the only thing she wanted for Christmas was a dog. I couldn't get it and it broke my heart.

Then, my wife got cancer, stage 4. We spent almost all we had in the treatment.

I knew how I could take the bitterness away from my daughter and make her smile again. But my rescue dog (Joey), came home not just for her. He stayed next to my wife at home when she came back from the hospital. Kids at school and I was working as I still do now, waking up at 02:40 and back home at 17:30.

Joey and my wife at home, crying and smiling together.

My dog is my hero. Yes, my wife still with me too. Wonder who rescued who.

Last week I finally took the important decision to adopt another shelter dog, like him. It was a busy Saturday for me and my kids. We received a call from the hospital, the urn with the ashes of my child were ready to pick up. His ashes were with us in the car when my kids and I visited different shelters that day. They couldn't avoid crying again, watching all those unfortunate dogs and cats.

I told my kids that I will let them pick the dog they want as far as they accept all the responsibilities. My son actually decided to sign the papers, he's 24 years old and he said he was ready.

In the last shelter we visited, there were not too many dogs but all of them were charming and adorable. Except for one, a shy puppy, scared of people and hiding in the back of the cage. He was the one. All the other dogs had a big chance to be adopted but nobody likes a dog that avoids humans.

My wife didn't want a big dog but we couldn't leave him there, followed all the procedures and at the end of the day he came home with us. Dear friends, meet Ben.

He's a 4 months Labrador, still under medication and deworming. About 27 Lbs. A big boy. Wife saw him, hug him and loved him. He's so sweet.

Now, the little miracle. Something that touched us and found very peculiar.

My dog's Name was "Joey". He came to NJ all the way from Georgia. Friday I reviewed Ben's documents, we just found his original name was "Joe" and he came from Georgia too. Both of them with same medical issues.

Now we believe there must be a reason for Ben to be with us. Maybe Joey is a little angel now and he's watching us, his family.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Now we believe there must be a reason for Ben to be with us. Maybe Joey is a little angel now and he's watching us, his family.

Of course there is a reason for Ben being with you, there always is! Whether we ever know that reason is a different story though.

My condolences to your family for your loss of Joey!

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamonlyhuman

Thank you so much. It's recomforting to see other person feels the same way.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Blessings to you and your family as you enter a new chapter with fear Ben!

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Blessings to you and your family as you enter a new chapter with fear Ben!

Thanks you. Yes, Ben came to save my family's Christmas this year. Already making plans to take Ben with me on my next treasure hunting/metal detecting adventures

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Both dogs are unbelievably cute. Loving the pictures.

It is okay to cry. It gets a little bit easier after some time has passed. It doesn't mean that you forgot. You won't.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Lost our 15 yr old, he died in our arms, at home. His name was "Lucky"....and for nearly 16 yrs...it was"us" who were the "Lucky" ones....

edit on 15-12-2019 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

It's incredible how much we can miss them. I didn't feel that sad when my Dad died.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   

a reply to: mysterioustranger

It's incredible how much we can miss them. I didn't feel that sad when my Dad died.

Me either w my folks....! Peace

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I lost my pooch, Kimba, almost 15 years ago now, she was 13. She was like my little sister.. the annoying one, who'd eat the cat poop out of the tray, then run into my room, lick my face, burp on me, and occasionally rip out a strand of beard which elicited a sense of anger, but simple doggy affection..

As she got older, she started growing lumps on her belly. one so big that it dragged across the floor and would leak blood. We had that fixed, over a thousand dollars, but to see her jumping around again was well worth it. But sadly, whatever it was she had, she succumbed to, she lay out the back under the tree and would just whimper when called.

We knew it was time... as I carried her into the vet, I swore I'd stay with her, but seeing the sadness in her eyes... she knew.. as they shaved her leg to find a vein for that last final injection, I couldn't... I had to leave.. I was broken down to a whimpering mess.

SO long ago now, I still say "Hey Kimba" when I walk in the door, knowing she's still somewhere here.. I imagine her doing her irish bagppie dance.. Every time I'd walk in the door, she'd squeal incessantly and hop around in circles..

I miss that silly ol' pooch... This is her as a smelly wee pup.. long long ago in a life far far away...

edit on 15-12-2019 by gallop because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Finspiracy

Tears are cleansing.
Tears are healing.
Tears are part of the healing process.

It took months for me to think of Emily without tears, and even years later.
It been years since she's left us, and I still remember her and the two girls who came and went before her.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Losing a pet/our child is extremely difficult and sorrowful. Everyone's story of loss makes me tear up. I have lost many beloved pets through the years and like you, I always got another, all rescues except for two. I am so glad that you got Ben now. He deserves a chance at love and happiness and safety and I know you will provide all those things and more. I'm sure that Joey approves and is barking with joy in heaven.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Only dog owners know the impact of losing one.

Credit for taking rescue dogs and giving them a seond chance.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 04:13 PM
link   

I really think dogs are with man to make us better people.

I got a lump in my throat just reading your post. So much love. Sorry about your loss!!

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Thank you, I know Joey not only understood my words and thoughts but also what is in my heart. Yes, he approves Ben and I can feel that way.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Only dog owners know the impact of losing one.
Credit for taking rescue dogs and giving them a seond chance.

Thank you, I think is more what we get than what we give every time we adopt a dog.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: Finspiracy

Tears are cleansing.
Tears are healing.
Tears are part of the healing process.

It took months for me to think of Emily without tears, and even years later.
It been years since she's left us, and I still remember her and the two girls who came and went before her.

Yeah. You spoke rightfully about tears.

But i think some people see crying as a weakness. Therefore, i wanted to emphasize that crying is really okay.

You seem like a person who loves animals. You will never forget Emily. It might hurt you a little bit. It is the price to pay for having a pet. We, humans, we live longer, generally.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 09:25 PM
link   
My love for your loss. My joy for Ben.

7 years ago, my family and I saved a kitten. He was gentle and loving....rescue animals are, as you know.

5 years ago, I was electrocuted and died. I was working at a hospital and thankfully, brought back to this life. It was 3 weeks before my daughters 7th birthday...the most pain I felt was her not looking at me in the hospital bc I was so bloodied and burned and bruised.

After a 4 days in the hospital, I spent 6 weeks at home....Mello, our cat, never left my side. 2 years later, he fell ill, vets wanted 5 grand just for tests...we could not afford the bill. My wife and I cried our eyes out as we held him when he was put down...I am crying typing this....my parents sat in the waiting room with our daughter.

We got home, my dad was 70 at the time, insisted on digging the grave for me. I was and am thankful, thanks dad, cause I could not do it I was crying so hard.

I sit here typing this and realize I just yelled at our 15 yo cat for eating too fast and puking on the rug. Not her fault, I am a jerk. Ty for posting this, I just hugged Monkey and apologized for yelling at her...our time with our little loved ones is short, I needed to be reminded.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 11:00 PM
link   

I know exactly how you feel and it’s never easy, 2 years ago I had to say “see you later” to my big guy Zeus. He was a Rot/Dob/Shep mix and 3 months away from turning 18 years old. He was a healthy dog, only went to the vet for his regular shots, never sick, he was just dumb as hell. I tried to teach him to catch a Frisbee but all he would do is run for it and when it landed he would pee on it. He made me laugh at all the dumb things he did like that.

In his last month he went down-hill fast, his hips were giving out, he was showing major signs of dementia, and he would forget why he wanted outside and then make a mess in the house. His last 4 days were awful; he stopped eating and was only drinking if I put the dish under his nose. Taking him to the I vet was hard; it was like I was taking my best friend to his execution. The vet said that the best option was to say goodbye and let him rest. I was so lucky to have him for so long and he still makes me laugh when I think about all the dumb things he did.

Every time I have lost a buddy I swear I will never get another because it’s so damn hard to say goodbye, but then I see a happy tail going 100 mph and my brain turns to mush lol, so far it’s been 4 cats and 4 dogs. I still have Zeus’s little buddy Simba (purebred Pom) and I feel like getting him a playmate………

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grayarea

I know exactly how you feel and it’s never easy, 2 years ago I had to say “see you later” to my big guy Zeus. He was a Rot/Dob/Shep mix and 3 months away from turning 18 years old. He was a healthy dog, only went to the vet for his regular shots, never sick, he was just dumb as hell. I tried to teach him to catch a Frisbee but all he would do is run for it and when it landed he would pee on it. He made me laugh at all the dumb things he did like that.

I laughed

Of course, without saying, i did not laugh at your loss. I laughed at your description of the dog.

Rest in peace in dog heaven, Zeus. May you never run out of good snacks

top topics

join