It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is a trap being set for Trump in the Senate trial?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

You're giving the Republicans too much credit. They aren't that creative.

While I'm sure a good many of the swamp creatures would like nothing more than to get rid of Trump and get back to the status quo. But those days are over.

The republican party was a hollow shell before Trump showed up. The only remotely reasonable candidate they've had in decades was Rand Paul, and that's mostly due to his father.
Those scumbags wanted to force Jeb! On us. They can't be trusted.

Their wagon is hitched to Trump now. They have nothing without him.

edit on 14-12-2019 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

I pretty much agree with your assessments here Mr. Burn. Likewise I do not see them turning on Trump for the reason you state. But just for $hits and Giggles, if we are off on our assessments of the Republicans, if there is some backbone left in it's members and they did surprise us with enough creativity and dumping Trump, what do you think will happen to his faithful.?
Would they follow him into a third party or would they just vote R as their best choice at the time. ?

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   

You have anything to add to this thread's topic?

why add to your delusions ?

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I think that here you have stated the core of our conundrum. Allowing ourselves to be backed into these corners of blind defensive political positions does not serve a democracy well. Bull headed locking horns with bullheaded.

You may be right about that. You're probably right about that.

And that's the result of a deliberately mis-informed and dis-informed public. Garbage in and garbage out. We're fed propaganda and rhetoric all day every day. And it's all framed as either this or that, leaving everyone to choose their "side."

But it's just another crap slammich: We get the left's crap on the one side, the right's crap on the other side, then they slap it all together and slam it down our throats.

If we all got the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, we would figure it out.

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Normally a Partisan question like that would fall under. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

But we’re talking about Washington DC and nobody knows who their enemy or their friend is. Especially in this environment

Some of the sneaky bastards might have been thinking about giving trump the heave ho .

But after the election results in the UK they assuredly know where the retribution will come from .

The outcome of the election in the UK sobered every conservative politician in the world up .

We can grab them by the hair sink the spurs in and ride those crooked bastards till they drop .

The Conservative base owns their politicians for the foreseeable future .

If they were thinking about impeaching Trump they aren’t anymore .

edit on 14-12-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Thank you.

If that did happen, I imagine it could go a few ways.

In no particular order :

1. A sad pall of disappointment, hopelessness and complacency sets in due to the realization that the Republic has fallen.

2. Anger. Rage and a swift rejection of establishment party politics. 3rd parties start receiving a difference making level of support. (Probably best for everyone in the long run)

3. Trump runs independent and wins another term anyway. Same general result as #2.

I think those situations may still play out in 2024 unless the 2 major parties get their crap together.
But I'm in favor of either no political parties or more smaller parties.

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican
a reply to: Edumakated

Well but wouldn't another Republican such as Romney make an attempt at it if he did get impeached? Or perhaps, they just run Pence at that point, as he would be incumbent.

Very likely. They'd rather run a RINO that loses than deal with Trump.

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I remember reading years ago about Aristotle and how his philosophy set us up for this kind of thing. This or that. Right or Wrong. Truth or lie. This undercurrent of thought or rather non-thought runs through much of our word philosophic and religious thought. It's schitzo in a way but serves the ''us or them'' thinking necessary for Machiavellian types to maintain control. And as an undercurrent that runs in our unconscious as a given it will take a lot to break ourselves free of that crap from both sides.

As much as I have been a sufferer of this kind of thought or un-thought in the past I have come to realize it's power over me.

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

1. A sad pall of disappointment, hopelessness and complacency sets in due to the realization that the Republic has fallen.

Maybe but I don't think Trump supporters would lose their adamancy , rather I think they would regroup under a third party banner. Should Trump win again in 2020 I could see the left fragmenting even more with their realization that the Republic has fallen

2. Anger. Rage and a swift rejection of establishment party politics. 3rd parties start receiving a difference making level of support. (Probably best for everyone in the long run)

I would not like to see him removed from office through impeachment. The weakening of his base would signal the far leftists to more and more extreme measures and the likelihood of the political spectrum swinging farther to the left could be a simple outcome. I don't want this either. I trust the far leftists as much as I trust Trump and that is not at all.

Trump running a third party in 2020 if impeached I think would split the conservative vote enough to allow the dems to much freedom and they might go crazy or depending on our perspectives, crazier. I don't want that either.

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

The Patriots! If Trump ever got impeached, we got to WAR! I PROMISE U ALL! If anyone knew the whole story of what this was really about, you would know, someone else in power right now, is not an option for a lot of us. That is just the way it is.

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Bingo. I think that pretty well sums it up. And these idiot politicians seem not to get the message that a rising majority of Americans are SICK of establishment, career politicians, and want to maintain an outsider in that office for that very reason. Draining the swamp is more important than ever these days, as we can see what vitriolic partisan hatred has produced in country: A circus show, while The President is just trying to get things DONE.

Trump is the swamp. What has he done other than lower taxes for the Billionaires?

It seems to me the evidence is pretty clear Trump broke the law and his oath of office. He should be convicted if Republicans would stop putting party before Constitution.

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 03:38 PM
link   

They would immediately be voted out, so there is little temptation for them. It's simply not a reasonable thing for them to do and will certainly not enrich their wallet. Trump is great for the GOP overall.

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
What has he done other than lower taxes for the Billionaires?

www.washingtonexaminer.com...

While the media and his critics focused on the bitterly divided House impeachment hearings, President Trump this week collected the most agenda wins yet, policy victories, including some backed by Democrats, that bolster arguments he’s making for reelection, according to advisers and analysts.

From adding judges to foreign policy, trade, immigration, defense spending, and China, Trump added several more achievements he will tout when he hosts his next campaign rally, standing in front of a 2020 “Promises Kept” sign.

"It was one of his best weeks yet," said a key White House adviser.

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Reading the title I had flashes of Admiral Ackbar played by Mitch McCONell yelling "Its a trap" on the Senate Floor

But I digress.

Let face it, both Mitch and Lindsey have all but said its going to be a kangaroo court so I'm not seeing what the trap is.

And seriously if any swamp was actually drained all that muck and scum it ended up in the White House anyway. I doubt the GOP has to stones to even pretend to look at any of this objectively and the Democrats should have gone with a censure and moved on.
edit on 12/14/19 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Bingo. I think that pretty well sums it up. And these idiot politicians seem not to get the message that a rising majority of Americans are SICK of establishment, career politicians, and want to maintain an outsider in that office for that very reason. Draining the swamp is more important than ever these days, as we can see what vitriolic partisan hatred has produced in country: A circus show, while The President is just trying to get things DONE.

Trump is the swamp. What has he done other than lower taxes for the Billionaires?

It seems to me the evidence is pretty clear Trump broke the law and his oath of office. He should be convicted if Republicans would stop putting party before Constitution.

Well we have record wage growth and most of that wage growth is going to the bottom 40% wage earners .. so there is that.

And if he broke the law then why did every single witness say he didn't? Please source the law he broke and what firsthand witness said he broke it.

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

But I digress.

Let face it, both Mitch and Lindsey have all but said its going to be a kangaroo court so I'm not seeing what the trap is.

As opposed to what we saw in the house. right?

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 05:20 PM
link   

This article from The Hill explores the idea that Trump might fall into a trap in the Senate trial.

Can 20 U.S. Senators withstand the potentially irresistible temptation to reverse the results of the 2016 election and remove a president a number of them openly or privately dislike?

thehill.com...

Well first of all, that assumes that all Senate Democrats are going to vote in favor in the Senate. And I have read about at least two that don't believe Trump's "infractions" rise to the level of impeachable offenses. They may still vote no.

There appears to be a common thread that runs through all of this opposition and stated hatred: “He is not part of the club. He is not one of us. He can’t be controlled.”

The unrelenting opposition to Trump is not based on the fictional quid pro quo with Ukraine’s president, but rather, a desperate need by the entrenched establishment from both political parties to maintain status quo of their all-powerful club — aka, part of the “swamp” Trump sought to drain.

But this article does raise some interesting points, worthy of discussion. That Senate trial, (assuming there is one), may not go at all as planned. At least Pence could be controlled.... right?
Hmmmmmmm
Yes.
Graham.

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 05:31 PM
link   

I remember reading years ago about Aristotle and how his philosophy set us up for this kind of thing. This or that. Right or Wrong. Truth or lie.

That's an intriguing observation. It certainly established a well thought out foundation, and therefore a precedent, for such thinking. It occurs to me that the virtue in the philosophy would be a desire and effort to do "the right thing." And that's great in and of itself. Until the narcissistic, or power hungry, or sadistic twist and contort it to their deviant purposes. Or the ignorant and naive and idealistic reduce it to their simplistic understanding.

I cannot help but notice that the so-called "Social Justice Warriors" have become very authoritarian and religion-like in their moral mandates upon the rest of society -- and the condemnation and judgment and personal destruction of any who fail to conform. Because everything is taken to its extreme... its absolute... right or wrong... good or bad. They have the moral high ground. They must be right. Just like religions have done for centuries.

And it seems that the same/similar game plan is being put in play in Britain. I'm assuming by the same players. I wondered before yesterday's election in Britain; after seeing the "not my president prime minister" protests and a new "dossier" about Russian election interference... it's deja vu!

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   

They won't if they want to keep their careers. I mean Dems are afraid too vote for it out of fear of not being reelected, why on Earth would Republicans be that stupid.

Jaden

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 05:58 PM
link   
The real prize is the Supreme Court on top of keeping their cushy Senate jobs. So no way they dump Trump yet. The Supreme Court is why the left is pulling BS out of their azzes with likely 2 more open seats in the next 5 years. If they were better planners they would have backed off the constant attacks because now everything is like the boy who cried wolf. Even if Donald screws up it will be hard to believe

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join