It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Misterspock movie review... 6 Underground

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 10:02 PM
link   
So, I'll hit a few points on this one, the movie and the "studio".

Firstly, boy has netflix really grown up. What was years ago just a streaming service that bought some "packages" of old tv shows and films and delivered them to your(my) drunken dumb ass because you(I) was too lazy to go to blockbuster(whatbuster?).

Anyway, they have the cash now, they can pull in the big names and make just about anything that anyone else can. And good for them, this movie, though lackluster to me(for who they pulled in, more on that below) is still a milestone for them in many ways.

They certainly are no longer cash strapped in anyway, pulling in "a" list writers(michael boom boom bay) and real A listers like Ryan Reynolds(Spoiler, I love him) they really have no boundries left when it comes to production. In a week, they may drop one of the best series(if they don't screw it up) in television history(the witcher series debutes one week from today).

Now, onto the actual movie.

It's an action film centered around a "disenfranchised" billionaire that forms a sort of "vigilante team" to right the wrongs of the world, outside of governmental players, a justice group if you will.

It starts out with loads of action(bayisms) then goes into about 40 minutes of unnecessary and largely distracting "backstories" into the players. Apparently to connect the viewer with the characters.

Action ensues, cinematography and cgi is of course amazing(hashtag current year). Bay is actually a bit restrained in his usual over the top frantic actions orgasms.

The movie delivers on what I walked into it expecting, Reynolds is the obvious focus point that holds it together. Even though the story gets a bit muddled at times.

A few of the other performances and stories shined a bit through, the british character labeled "skywalker" gave a bit more than the story maybe allowed.

It's good, but not great. Which to me I'd view as a bit of a let down if I were a flix exec. I'd imagine this film was their trump card for the year given the budget and the talent they no doubt payed handsomely for. That aside, it's a solid singular watch and makes for a good night at the "theater". The few pitfalls of the film I'll attribute to bay and not ANY of the actors, they all pulled more than their weight and reynolds as the lead brought his usual humor and charm.

Ratings, meaningless. But I'd probably give it a 4 of 5, for netflix as a simple "streaming" service it's a solid mid 4 to 5. But as the lines dissolve and streaming services have the budget and seek to take on the major box offices. They need to do a bit better.
edit on 13-12-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 11:15 PM
link   
My sum up is two hours of fast, high packed action, violence, graphic slaughter and comic quips by the ''good guys'' as they mow down all the ''bad guys, with a little sentimentalism tossed in to wrench at our hearts so we can tell the ''good guys'' from the ''bad guys''. Thumbs up if this is your fare.

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
My sum up is two hours of fast, high packed action, violence, graphic slaughter and comic quips by the ''good guys'' as they mow down all the ''bad guys, with a little sentimentalism tossed in to wrench at our hearts so we can tell the ''good guys'' from the ''bad guys''. Thumbs up if this is your fare.

It's decent, and the best move they(netflix) made is RR(starts touching myself, and i'm not even gay).

It's a high point for them, surely. It wrapped up nicely and may actually open the gateway to a sequel or two. I'm "happy" for them(netflix).

Hollywood couldn't make it any easier for them(moving swiftly into the dumpster).

In the end it's no surprise that major players(writers, directors and actors) will go where the money is. As long as they avoid the trappings that hollywood is persuing(err soo woke), they could gut hollywood with this opportunity.

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

That opening chase scene was pure carnage. Top notch mayhem for sure.

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 06:36 AM
link   

a reply to: MisterSpock

That opening chase scene was pure carnage. Top notch mayhem for sure.

Just watched this movie last night. I've decided I really like carnage & mayhem. This movie delivered it for sure!

However, at one point after a backstory, a narrator tells me "you're all caught up now" and I'm like... what? No, I'm not. Could be me, but the random backstories were confusing but eventually all of the missing pieces were filled in.

In thinking back, the random nature of the backstories added to the chaos. Might be what they intended.

Great movie! Not epic, but very good chaos, carnage & mayhem!

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamonlyhuman

Could be me, but the random backstories were confusing but eventually all of the missing pieces were filled in.
In thinking back, the random nature of the backstories added to the chaos. Might be what they intended.

Interesting. I have noticed this as well, not just in this flick but all around. ''Who are these people and where did they come from? Why are they acting like they do? This seems to be part of mystery shows as well, part of the mystery.

How about that guy who got his head blown off and the corpse fell with the stump of the neck fell facing the camera.

I think though that my favorite scene like that was from way back in the movie Ghost Ship. A taught line holding up the main stack or something like that snaps and whips though a ball room where all the people are dancing. They hear a noise and don't know what has just happened until all of a sudden tops of bodies start sliding off the bottoms of bodies all across the dance floor. One short little girl dancing with the captain gets missed by the sling but then his top half falls on top of here. Ouch.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   

I think though that my favorite scene like that was from way back in the movie Ghost Ship. A taught line holding up the main stack or something like that snaps and whips though a ball room where all the people are dancing. They hear a noise and don't know what has just happened until all of a sudden tops of bodies start sliding off the bottoms of bodies all across the dance floor. One short little girl dancing with the captain gets missed by the sling but then his top half falls on top of here. Ouch.

So weird that you'd mention that one. I don't remember movies well but I definitely remember that scene! In fact, I don't even remember the plot or anything else about that movie, lol. That was so disturbing to me at the time! I've thought alot about that scene through the years actually. Definitely made an impression.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamonlyhuman

That is all I recollect from that movie as well, other than the great Movie poster with the ghost like image superimposed over the front of the ship, the reason I watched it in the first place. It was such a grand and sweeping ''accident'' that it stayed with me...

new topics

top topics

join