It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Francisco’s ‘poor street conditions’ a factor in city’s loss of Oracle tech conference

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 04:52 PM
link   
NOTE: The title had to be truncated to adhere to the ATS thread title standards.

The full title of the article is: San Francisco’s ‘poor street conditions’ a factor in city’s loss of $64M Oracle tech conference: reports

Oracle, a major Silicon Valley tech company, will move its annual OpenWorld conference to Las Vegas next year – over concerns about San Francisco’s hotel rates and the city’s “poor street conditions,” according to reports.

The loss of OpenWorld, which has been held in San Francisco for about 20 years, is raising new concerns about whether the city’s struggles with homelessness, open drug use and street violence may be scaring off tourism and other business, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

“For the industry, for the city, to have a major conference leave us impacts all of us,” Kevin Carroll, chief executive of the Hotel Council of San Francisco, which represents hotel owners, told the newspaper.

“It’s a huge deal,” added Rick Swig, a hotel consultant at RSBA & Associates.

Oracle decided to pull out even though San Francisco recently invested $551 million in a renovation and expansion of the downtown Moscone Center, the convention facility where OpenWorld had been held for years, the Chronicle reported.

San Francisco’s ‘poor street conditions’ a factor in city’s loss of $64M Oracle tech conference: reports
By Dom Calicchio

So, who could have NOT seen this coming when the local liberal political structure not only allows but condones this unsanitary behavior. San Francisco used to be a vacation destination, the decades of liberal policies and push to legalize everything (including defecating and urinating on the public streets and sidewalks) has driven this once golden city into a gold covered turd of a city.

How can anyone not see this is a prime example of a failure of these type of policies?

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

About the only thing I can say about this is ,,,well duhhhhhh!"

They have crap in the streets with hypodermic needles instead of peanuts..
That's bound to factor in when you're trying to make a good impression with customers.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 05:13 PM
link   

The slogan:

Come to our conference and play Russian Roulette with your choice of feces, needles or Hep A, and hey, there's a chance you might even make it to the conference! Walk right up and spin the wheel (but don't forget to look where you are walking)

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Progressives have to learn the hard way.

Unfortunately, so does your average Joe who comes up against policy or legislation where constitutional fortitude is squared upon the citizens shoulders to figure out, not the yahoos who introduced it. Meanwhile, that POS legislation or policy is in effect, running rampant and seriously affecting, and quite frankly, DAMAGING poor ol' Joe.

This is California.

I wouldn't move here.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 05:25 PM
link   

has driven this once golden city into a gold covered turd of a city.

I guess that’s why rent is so cheap there.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

People will take it for awhile, but, eventually residents will go elsewhere, and rent will drop accordingly. Who wants to live in a toilet?

I live east of SF by 80 miles. Many people are relocating to here, and commuting daily

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

People will take it for awhile, but, eventually residents will go elsewhere, and rent will drop accordingly. Who wants to live in a toilet?

I live east of SF by 80 miles. Many people are relocating to here, and commuting daily

I lived in San Francisco for over 3 years, North Beach/Chinatown and the Tenderloin. It’s one of the best places I’ve ever lived.

It’s obvious to me that everyone here just gets their information about San Francisco from virtue signaling right wingers mad about liberals.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 06:00 PM
link   
So since the streets in SF are apparently too dirty they decide to move it to an even dirtier city in Las Vegas?

I rode through Las Vegas a few years ago with my windows down. I had to roll them back up because of the stench of the place. It's disgusting.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Oracle must be watching too much FOX.

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Oracle doesn't share your opinion.
Next tell me a story about Detroit.

And yes I've been to San Fran.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I lived in San Francisco for over 3 years, North Beach/Chinatown and the Tenderloin. It’s one of the best places I’ve ever lived.

It’s obvious to me that everyone here just gets their information about San Francisco from virtue signaling right wingers mad about liberals.

And when was that?

I used to go there several times a year. No more!

Things have changed due to the Liberal leadership, in both California and San Francisco. With the decline of moral values, comes many undesirable effects.

Things have changed

+4 more 
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
So since the streets in SF are apparently too dirty they decide to move it to an even dirtier city in Las Vegas?

I rode through Las Vegas a few years ago with my windows down. I had to roll them back up because of the stench of the place. It's disgusting.

New York smells like a urinal too.

link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Bad smell or crap and needles on the street. I'll take the smell.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 06:08 PM
link   

It's San Francisco. Everything about that city is poor except the cost of living.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

About the only thing I can say about this is ,,,well duhhhhhh!"

They have crap in the streets with hypodermic needles instead of peanuts..
That's bound to factor in when you're trying to make a good impression with customers.

But it's for the poor and illegal. We're humane. Just look at us! And make sure they don't flood our communities. We only want them here to look good to our democrat leaders.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Was that in the 80's when the dream of most Americans was to visit or live in one of California's big cities?

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 06:16 PM
link   

And when was that?

Things have changed due to the Liberal leadership, in both California and San Francisco. With the decline of moral values, comes many undesirable effects.

Things have changed

It was from 2012 to 2015.

I think the difference is that I don’t see problems in the things you guys see problems in. Yeah, there’s homelessness, drug addicts, needles everywhere, crap on the sidewalks, but so what? Show me a major city that doesn’t have those exact same problems.

What sets San Francisco apart is that they actually try to help these people. I know for most right wingers it’s a crazy idea that a city would want to take care of the least amongst us. That they would be tolerant of the homeless, most of which are mentally ill. God forbid a person has to experience dirty sidewalks and being uncomfortable for a little bit so the lowest rung of society can have a chance at surviving.

I agree with how San Francisco handles it. It’s not pretty, but helping the lowest among us find a way back is worth it. I think most everyone here just sees it as a far away place they can blame liberals for destroying. When it’s anything but destroyed.

People forget the human cost.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 06:20 PM
link   
The SF of old is a place to wonder at so many fires way back then , and wow could so few people build in a few years what men with cranes and trucks take decades now

They were still fighting Indians in America decades after some of those photos

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   

And when was that?

Things have changed

It was from 2012 to 2015.

I think the difference is that I don’t see problems in the things you guys see problems in. Yeah, there’s homelessness, drug addicts, needles everywhere, crap on the sidewalks, but so what? Show me a major city that doesn’t have those exact same problems.

If I could find a city that size ran by republican leaders, I could show you a major city that doesn't feed addicts drugs, keep em on the streets, let em crap on the sidewalks, etc... Those problems don't exist in red cities.

Get back to me when you see the common denominator.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 06:25 PM
link   

You call this cheap?

That's 2 separate units by the way.
I at least have a 30 X 50 front yard ( grass included with driveway ) and and 1 acre plus in the back fencing included so my dogs can run free and poop.

All paid off at $189 plus a few tax perks.

Ohhhh... ok.

I think the difference is that I don’t see problems in the things you guys see problems in

edit on 11-12-2019 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join