It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haunted or cursed roads and highways

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I used to live very close to a highway. It was very straight shot, and nothing distracting. For whatever reason there were always accidents in one particular spot. Without fail, it always happened in the same place of this very long stretch. I've driven that highway many times, there is nothing about that spot that is any different than the other miles of it. I always wondered why there? Just this weekend another person was killed there.

I could see the accidents from my house and always wondered if it was something else. Just a bad luck area, an evil spirit, something more? I could understand if the accidents only happened in winter, or rain, but no, they happened in all weather scenarios and all traffic levels. Many deaths have occurred there.

There is another area. This one is a little different as it is a very slight hill. Again the road is as straight as can be. There are only two lanes and pretty much nothing else. Tons of accidents. I just read something from 1920 saying that exact hill had a lot of accidents. My jaw just dropped. There weren't that many cars back then. I've lived in a lot of places, and it seems there is always one or two of these places. Sure some are inherently dangerous (blind curve, dark corner etc), but often there isn't.

I will say both areas do have a little bit of a creepy factor. Especially the second road. I will never in my life forget this one night. It was just a little before midnight. I was summer and I was driving down that road. I was getting to the top of the hill, and there was the biggest brightest moon I had ever seen. It was some kind of optical illusion from the road. The moon looked enormous, like something out of a Halloween graphic. I have never seen the moon look like that anywhere else. It was beautiful, but scary at the same time.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Have you heard of the book series ‘Weird (insert state here)’. I’ve got the Weird Arizona version. They are great for all sorts of strangeness. I think you live in Wisconsin, if memory serves. Here you go:

bookoutlet.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   
A quick idea for you..

If you want to know you could dig into records and find out if there are any matching things like time or day of week. Did you check that? Because if you just estimate that there is no pattern, you can never be sure and all speculation is futile.

There are two movies that I forgot the title but they tell about a piece of land, somewhere in the desert in the USA where there are optical illusions like that. Some explain it as reflecting headlights getting mirrored similar like a fata morgana. But in the movie they were from some kind of mirroring force field.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

Have you heard of the book series ‘Weird (insert state here)’. I’ve got the Weird Arizona version. They are great for all sorts of strangeness. I think you live in Wisconsin, if memory serves. Here you go:

bookoutlet.com...< br />

I haven't read that one, but something similar. Wisconsin is filled with tons of bizarre stuff. There's a lot up in the Wisconsin Dells area and further North of that. Lots of paranormal, hauntings, dogmen sightings. You name it, it's probably here. We are also one of the drunkest states, so not sure if that adds to the equation.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Out on the Rez there was highway 666 but they clanged the number for obvious reasons.

www.haunted-places-to-go.com...

As my very intutive GF and I drive around the SW looking for adventure... she will often say "bad mojo", get off this road.

I have seen and encountered much "high strangness" in the San Luis valley of So.Colo. and the 4 corners area on the backroads and hiways. It may just be paranormal/ufo activity but for some strange reason it seems mystical or perhaps religious.
edit on 11-12-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Maybe your moon experience is a hint?

Perhaps certain high-accident areas are also a spot where distractions or illusions occur, thus leading to the accident?

You're asking great questions but to resolve this we will need to conduct significant research and ask many more big questions.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 03:22 PM
link   
So you lived within site of the highway and could see the accident site from your house. Hmmm. I would think the conclusion was obvious.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
So you lived within site of the highway and could see the accident site from your house. Hmmm. I would think the conclusion was obvious.

I could see the highway from my house, but due to the nature of the highway (4 lane) & berm it would be very hard or near impossible to see the houses from the highway going that direction. The traffic coming the opposite direction could see the houses, but not the side that the accidents are happening.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I live near a deer crossing sign.
Cars are always running into the deer.
They should move that sign to an area with less traffic that will be safer for the deer to cross.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

Maybe your moon experience is a hint?

Perhaps certain high-accident areas are also a spot where distractions or illusions occur, thus leading to the accident?

You're asking great questions but to resolve this we will need to conduct significant research and ask many more big questions.

The full moon could be a distraction for sure, but what about all the other times of day? That was the only time I noticed that weird occurrence. I drove that road hundreds, if not thousands of times (and many other full moons)

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Homefree
They should move that sign to an area with less traffic that will be safer for the deer to cross.

Hahahaha
Great post!

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Homefree

I would laugh at that, but I've seen too many people hit deer and that is one pretty scary sight.
I saw this car, probably going 35, hit a deer full force windshield. The deer went flying like you wouldn't believe. We are talking crazy airborne.
When I was watching it appeared to be in slow motion. The man in the car was stunned, but didn't look too hurt. I called 911 and thanked my stars that I always drive a good distance from the person in front of me.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Our local haunted road is Cuba Road / Rainbow Road in Barrington, IL.

This one was well-known to us as kids, and as teenagers finally able to drive down Cuba Rd and Rainbow Rd, we woukd do so regularly, typically while playing "spooky" songs. My buddy and I driving slowly down the road, with Stairway to Heaven playing, our dates in the car with us terrified - and then killing the headlights for a few seconds was always a good time

ETA: meant to include my experience. Nothing truly out of the ordinary - a few things we saw that were probably standard-issue shadows lights from legit sources lol and animal noises (owls, etc.), but seemed at the time they could have been supernatural - at least, seemed enough to convince ourselves at the time.

However - one time we decided to get out and approach what, at the time, seemed to be a "spooky" mansion. We were about 10' into the treeline at the front of the property and started hearing whirring sounds in the trees, then a spotlight blaring at us. Nothing supernatural, just good ol' fashioned security system left us scrambling and terrified - but of a porential rifle, not specters

edit on 12/11/2019 by dogstar23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

Hey I used to live a little North of there near Mchenry.

Is that road the one that is somewhat higher than the marshy area around it? It has been a long time, am I remembering correctly?

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   
My neck of the woods we have Centralia. Old route 61. Not exactly "haunted" but still spooky.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Theres the lonely stretch of 35 that runs through Baileys Prairie where there are reports of sightings of Brit Bailey's ghost.

'It’s a ghost story that begins a few years before Texas was even officially the Republic of Texas. But after nearly 200 years the tall tale—or eyewitness truth, depending who you ask—is alive and well on Bailey’s Prairie in Brazoria County.

He was a notorious and eccentric early Texas pioneer named James Briton “Brit” Bailey who arrived in what is now Brazoria County several years before Stephen F. Austin established his Old 300 colony in the same area.

“He was a heavy drinker and loved to fight,” said Brazoria County Historical Museum Research Librarian Jamie Murray, who says Austin reluctantly accepted Bailey into the colony although he reportedly did not approve of Bailey’s love for whiskey and a good fist fight.
It’s a ghost story that begins a few years before Texas was even officially the Republic of Texas. But after nearly 200 years the tall tale—or eyewitness truth, depending who you ask—is alive and well on Bailey’s Prairie in Brazoria County.

The rest of Bailey’s story, including the story of his ghost, can be found in several large files at the museum in Angleton. In a handwritten copy of his will, and on a roadside historical marker along Highway 35, are the words that helped start the legend.

“And the will does say he wants to be buried standing up and facing west,” Murray said.

And as the story goes, in 1832 his descendants did follow his wishes, lowering a casket vertically into the ground so that he could continue, in death, to face the vast western expanse of the country he longed to continue exploring.

"And he said he didn't want anybody to stand over his grave and say ‘there lies old Britt Bailey,’
In the hallway of a 1930s school house now operating as a museum, they keep a mannequin under lock and key dressed like Brit Bailey. He’s wearing a pioneer’s leather jacket, and, as the legend goes, appears with the items with which he was buried: a rifle at his side, a lantern to light his way to the west, and a jug of whiskey at his feet. Well, almost with the jug of whiskey.

"His wife said he'd had enough of that during his lifetime,” referring to Bailey’s reported love of a stiff drink. “And she threw it out on the prairie and said he'd already had enough of that.”

According to Brazoria County legend and numerous reported sightings over the following 184 years, Bailey’s ghost haunts the prairie. As the story goes, on any given night—but best seen in the fall of the year when the “mist is on the prairie”—a floating light can be seen hovering over the prairie that bears his name.
They say it’s an angry Brit Bailey, with that lantern he was buried with, roaming the prairie searching for that jug of whiskey his wife removed from his grave.es the form of a mysterious light that floats across the prairie and darts up into the tops of the trees.'

www.khou.com...
edit on 11-12-2019 by Homefree because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Rt 44 Rehoboth MA is mentioned in New England Ghost files as the part of Rt 44 where The red flanneled shirt guy appears in front of cars, flying alongside them, and hitchhiking. Stuff of nightmares.

I’ve travelled Rt 44 a good portion of my life, but I dread driving it at night. I have never been near the Rehoboth area.

edit on 11-12-2019 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: schuyler

I could see the highway from my house, but due to the nature of the highway (4 lane) & berm it would be very hard or near impossible to see the houses from the highway going that direction. The traffic coming the opposite direction could see the houses, but not the side that the accidents are happening.

Whoosh!

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: KTemplar

Rt 44 Rehoboth MA is mentioned in New England Ghost files as the part of Rt 44 where The red flanneled shirt guy appears in front of cars, flying alongside them, and hitchhiking. Stuff of nightmares.

I’ve travelled Rt 44 a good portion of my life, but I dread driving it at night. I have never been near the Rehoboth area.

That. is. creepy...

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I had a spooky experience driving the I5 through the Mt. Shasta area once. People have mentioned strange experiences along that stretch. Link below.

Ghost Car

top topics

<<   2 >>

join