It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Misterspock TV Mini Series review... Chernobyl

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I'm just going to rant this one out a bit.

I'm only in the 3rd episode of this 6 episode miniseries.

But, damn it's good, it makes me think not all(just 90 percent) of hollywood is not lost.

While it's been fantastic, gripping and wholly enjoyable(employing some of my favorite actors to drive it home). I'm also left with the thought that in the end, this # isn't that hard. Write a good story, bring in a few heavyweights and have them act the hell out of it.

Oddly, that seems to be "hard" for hollywood over the past 5 years.

It's VERY watchable. So either sign up for a free month of HBO's whatever streaming service or just....access it otherwise...

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

I realize I may be biased as I find this general topic and this particular event as extremely fascinating.

They did a good job, so far, with the writing and framing and the characters involved are very well acted.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I know this show won many awards and I, personally, think that's because of two extremely talented(though somewhat overlooked) actors, who happen to be two of my favorites(what with what's left of "hollywood").

Stellan Skarsgard and Jared Harris, I'ts a pleasure to see them on screen, side by side.

If you want something less heavy and more "millenial" might I suggest whatever latest comic book turd that is about to grace the theater.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 09:17 PM
link   

We Love it.Great Production.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 09:18 PM
link   

I've watched many YouTube clips of this show and I agree that it is very good.
There is a bit of creative license but nothing that slaps you in the face.

The stupidity of the Soviet government still amazes me with their efforts to keep control.
It's an eye opener for someone that's had no exposure to that kind of thing.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Chernobyl is a masterpiece and - despite the subject matter - my favourite miniseries ever. I cannot find one flaw or fault with its presentation of the events, the atmosphere and mood they instilled into every scene, and the lasting impact with only 6 episodes to do it in.
edit on 12/10/2019 by MonkeyFishFrog because: grammar is not my friend

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

We Love it.Great Production.

Production is the easy part these days.

Cinematography, CGI, etc. That's a given for any hollywood or even streaming service production. It just takes a bit of money.

The "lost art", storyline, writing and real acting seems to be what's "so hard" to nail down for all those fools.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I feel like the little bit of creative licensing they did for the series was appropriately used and balanced against the sheer amount of accuracy they got perfect.

The first episode was so haunting

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I've watched many YouTube clips of this show and I agree that it is very good.
There is a bit of creative license but nothing that slaps you in the face.

The stupidity of the Soviet government still amazes me with their efforts to keep control.
It's an eye opener for someone that's had no exposure to that kind of thing.

Well, it's all relative isn't it.

In the end, with time in the rearview mirror, they didn't do all that bad. Way better than the japanese are doing with their "chernobyl".

I give them(not the soviets as a whole, but those that actually sacrificed to stop it) way more credit than I am currently giving the japanese.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Actually the Soviet reactor design was a crime against humanity.
Bad design from the start and on top of that no containment building.

Night and day different than Japan.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Actually the Soviet reactor design was a crime against humanity.
Bad design from the start and on top of that no containment building.

Night and day different than Japan.

Reactor design aside.

It seems one government treated it as much more of a potential global threat than another.

Yes, truly night and day.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Watching this was like watching a real life horror story.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 09:46 PM
link   

You have a password you wish to share? wink wink

I have been using my nieces Netflix account for almost two years for free. Amazing they don't monitor that.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sabrechucker

I have been using my nieces Netflix account for almost two years for free. Amazing they don't monitor that.

All my account passwords are "misterspockhasahugewang".

But it's not on netflix or anything, so I don't know how that would help you in the future.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sabrechucker

Doesn't that make you a thief?
Asking for a friend....

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 10:03 PM
link   
While I haven’t seen it myself, I have heard it is very scientifically inaccurate. Here is a review from a scientist.

edit on 12 10 2019 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

No..just a friend of a thief

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I'd have to agree, this series really drew me in and I was left engaged for the entirety. But, like you, the subject matter is quite fascinating to me.

Unfortunately it seems to me that creativity is dying out and Hollywood as a whole are scrapping the bottom of the barrel.
Alas, I've already lost hope in most, if not all of mainstream media at this point, and only watch/listen to "hip" things when they are shown to me.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Stellan Skarsgard

IIRC he's Randall Flagg in the new series The Stand coming next year.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 12:15 AM
link   

I haven't ran across this yet. Thanks for the post- I will give it a go.

Have you watched:
The Babushkas of Chernobyl? It is a good documentary about women who were initially evacuated from Chernobyl after the explosion who returned to live out their lives.
thebabushkasofchernobyl.com...

"In the radioactive Dead Zone surrounding Chernobyl’s Reactor No. 4, a defiant community of women scratches out an existence on some of the most toxic land on Earth. They share this hauntingly beautiful but lethal landscape with an assortment of interlopers—scientists, soldiers, and even ‘stalkers’—young thrill-seekers who sneak in to pursue post-apocalyptic video game-inspired fantasies. Why the film’s central characters, Hanna Zavorotyna, Maria Shovkuta, and Valentyna Ivanivna, chose to return after the disaster, defying the authorities and endangering their health, is a remarkable tale about the pull of home, the healing power of shaping one’s destiny and the subjective nature of risk."

It is available on Amazon Prime:

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?crid=1WE84FYF15OKH&keywords=the+babushkas+of+chernobyl&qid=1576 045310&sprefix=The+babus%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-1

edit on 11-12-2019 by Onlyyouknow because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join