It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cynocephali Dog headed men a myth or lost hybrid people

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Just when I thought I'd heard it all. Thanks for sharing something new!

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlecHolland
Just when I thought I'd heard it all. Thanks for sharing something new!

I've just started reading about this and the more I read the weirder it gets. Truly interesting stuff.

As someone previously mentioned, there are even old maps that outright say certain island are dog-man islands or something like that. It seems to span the globe too.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I must have listened to at least a hundred reports of " Dogmen ".
There`s a channel on YouTube called " Dogman encounters" with maybe a couple of hundred interviews.
Some really scary encounters if true.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: lambros56
I must have listened to at least a hundred reports of " Dogmen ".
There`s a channel on YouTube called " Dogman encounters" with maybe a couple of hundred interviews.
Some really scary encounters if true.

I've read/watched and listened to those too. Yes very scary. Somehow the dogmen of our times does not seem like the dogmen of ancient times. The ones in ancient time did bark/growl but seemed VERY civilized. They herded sheep, they wore skins/clothing, some even fine linen. They had attractive wives.

The dogmen of our day seem very much like a monster, werewolf type of thing. The dogmen also seem to morph into that creature. The ones in the ancient tales/photos seemed to be a whole other race/people.
edit on 10-12-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Alright Jag, now you’ve got me really interested. Any links to what you’ve been reading? Thanks in advance!

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

books.google.com... sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjq7cC6tKzmAhUERa0KHZEKDws4ChDoATAIegQIBxAB#v=onepage&q=KYNOKEPHALOI&f=false

www.theoi.com...

"On these [the Indian] mountains there live men with the head of a dog, whose clothing is the skin of wild beasts. They speak no language, but bark like dogs, and in this manner make themselves understood by each other. Their teeth are larger than those of dogs, their nails like those of these animals, but longer and rounder. They inhabit the mountains as far as the river Indos. Their complexion is swarthy. They are extremely just, like the rest of the Indians with whom they associate. They understand the Indian language but are unable to converse, only barking or making signs with their hands and fingers by way of reply, like the deaf and dumb. They are called by the Indians Kalystrii, in Greek Kynocephaloi (Cynocephali) (Dog-Headed). They live on raw meat and number about 120,000 . . .
The Kynokephaloi living on the mountains do not practise any trade but live by hunting. When they have killed an animal they roast it in the sun. They also rear numbers of sheep, goats, and asses, drinking the milk of the sheep and whey made from it. They eat the fruit of the Siptakhora (Siptachora), whence amber is procured, since it is sweet. They also dry it and keep it in baskets, as the Greeks keep their dried grapes. They make rafts which they load with this fruit together with well-cleaned purple flowers and 260 talents of amber, with the same quantity of the purple dye, and 1000 additional talents of amber, which they send annually to the king of India. They exchange the rest for bread, flour, and cotton stuffs with the Indians, from whom they also buy swords for hunting wild beasts, bows, and arrows, being very skilful in drawing the bow and hurling the spear. They cannot be defeated in war, since they inhabit lofty and inaccessible mountains. Every five years the king sends them a present of 300,000 bows, as many spears, 120,000 shields, and 50,000 swords.
They do not live in houses, but in caves. They set out for the chase with bows and spears, and as they are very swift of foot, they pursue and soon overtake their quarry. The women have a bath once a month, the men do not have a bath at all, but only wash their hands. They anoint themselves three times a month with oil made from milk and wipe themselves with skins. The clothes of men and women alike are not skins with the hair on, but skins tanned and very fine. The richest wear linen clothes, but they are few in number. They have no beds, but sleep on leaves or grass. He who possesses the greatest number of sheep is considered the richest, and so in regard to their other possessions. All, both men and women, have tails above their hips, like dogs, but longer and more hairy. They are just, and live longer than any other men, 170, sometimes 200 years."

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   

books.google.com... sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwizpqqItazmAhVRC6wKHYihAs84FBDoATAHegQICRAB#v=onepage&q=KYNOKEPHALOI&f=false

orthodoxartsjournal.org...

This one is trying to explain why St. Christopher looks like a dog in so much artwork. They claim exaggeration.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 07:26 AM
link   

All the furries reading this thread are salivating at the thought

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Wouldn't you get upset if those pesky humans kept killing you?

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

Alright Jag, now you’ve got me really interested. Any links to what you’ve been reading? Thanks in advance!

www.strangehistory.net...
Yet another account of a traveler talking about men with dog heads/faces

Moreouer I traueled on further by the ocean-sea towards the south, and passed through many countries and islands, whereof one is called Moumoran, and it containeth in compasse ii. M. 2000 miles, wherein men and women haue dog faces, and worship an oxe for their god: and therefore euery one of them cary the image of an oxe of gold or siluer vpon their foreheads. The men and the women of this country go all naked, sauing that they hang a linen cloth before their priuities. The men of the said country are very tall and mighty, and by reason that they goe naked, when they are to make battell, they cary yron or steele targets before them, which do couer and defend their bodies from top to toe: and whomsoeuer of their foes they take in battel not being able to ransom himselfe for money, they presently deuoure him: but if he be able to redeeme himselfe for money, they let him go free. Their king weareth about his necke 300. great and most beautifull vnions, and saith euery day 300. prayers vnto his god. He weareth vpon his finger also a stone of a span long which seemeth to be a flame of fire, and therefore when he weareth it, no man dare once approch vnto him: and they say that there is not any stone in the whole world of more value then it. Neither could at any time the great Tartarian Emperour of Katay either by force, money, or policie obtaine it at his hands: notwithstanding that he hath done the vtmost of his indeuour for this purpose.

edit on 11-12-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Normally I don't link to wikipedia. I made an exception this time as I have seen other references to Ibn Battuta and claims that he encountered dog faced men. I can't find the topic right now online. I am hoping to find a full translation of his book/travels, to confirm. This is what it apparently says:

en.wikipedia.org...

Ibn Battuta
Ibn Battuta encountered dog-mouthed people on his journey, in an island somewhere between India and Sumatra:[11]

Fifteen days after leaving Sunaridwan we reached the country of the Barahnakar, whose mouths are like those of dogs. This tribe is a rabble, professing neither the religion of the Hindus nor any other. They live in reed huts roofed with grasses on the seashore, and have abundant banana, areca, and betel trees. Their men are shaped like ourselves, except that their mouths are shaped like those of dogs; this is not the case with their womenfolk, however, who are endowed with surpassing beauty. Their men too go unclothed, not even hiding their nakedness, except occasionally for an ornamental pouch of reeds suspended from their waist. The women wear aprons of leaves of trees. With them reside a number of Muslims from Bengal and Sumatra, who occupy a separate quarter. The natives do all their trafficking with the merchants on the shore, and bring them water on elephants, because the water is at some distance from the coast and they will not let the merchants go to draw it for themselves, fearing for their women because they make advances to well-formed men. Elephants are numerous in their land, but no one may dispose of them except the sultan, from whom they are bought in exchange for woven stuffs.

— Ibn Battuta

I find this one quite interesting. The writer obviously has knowledge of "regular" Indian/Hindu folks, and is writing this because these people are so different. It is also interesting that the men have a different look from the women.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Great OP! Love this stuff. a reply to: JAGStorm

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   

So here are some of my thoughts.

Maybe these travelers weren't exposed to indigenous people much.
There are some ethnic groups with more pronounced features than others. At that
time people had very little comparison so a slightly protruding mouth would have seemed really different.
However there is always something that throws off that guess. It isn't just the face, the dog-men also act like dogs, eating raw meat, running fast, or having curved claws/nails. There is nothing, absolutely nothing that even alludes to a mask/ a hood, or anything else that makes you think it is an external piece making them look like a dog.

The writers of these journals seem to go into depth with the details. I think if I were visiting a remote island and did not have a phone or camera how would I describe dog men. It would be exactly like these travelers did.

The other common theme is that there is an island where these dog men lived. It is on maps, it is written about.
From the Chinese travelers, to Marco polo. They even called it the dog kingdom.

Isn't it interesting that of all animals we call dogs, mans best friend. It is the the top animal that humans would risk their lives to save.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   

simple question - where did the alledged " dogmen " go ?? [ assuming they ACTUALLY existed ]

and of course - why no archeology ???

like som many things - its my opinion - that you and others are just cherry picking - these " ancient traveller tails " - contain claim after claim - which all nebulously vanish once science arives

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

simple question - where did the alledged " dogmen " go ?? [ assuming they ACTUALLY existed ]

and of course - why no archeology ???

like som many things - its my opinion - that you and others are just cherry picking - these " ancient traveller tails " - contain claim after claim - which all nebulously vanish once science arives

I'm not even 100% but I think there is enough history, and actual artwork/archeology/books/tales to believe there is something there. As for archeology, just look at anything in Egypt, how many dog headed men do you see on buildings, carved into artwork. Are those masks or are those really their heads? Don't want to believe the Egypt stuff, well there's artwork in China along with stores of an island of dog men. There are stories from Italy etc. The more I look into this, the more information seems to be out there.

If you read some of the travelers tales, they lived in caves and slept on staw matts. There wouldn't be big buildings or anything like that. If they were human-like in every way but their heads, anything found (bowls, clothing etc.) would be assumed to be human.

As for where did they go....

Just as anything else, maybe they were killed off by war, plague, infertility, natural disaster.

What if the dog-men didn't really go anywhere. Maybe they had babies with so many full human women they eventually bred out the dog? Sound crazy? (not calling my grammy a dog) My grandma was 100% Asian, short, black hair, black eyes. Her great-granddaughter is 6ft tall, blonde hair, light eyes. That's just in 70 years time.

This site alone show that many people claim to still have encounters with dog-men type of beings. I myself haven't but I am not quick to doubt what others have seen.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Are the modern reports of people seeing dog men, werewolf type creatures actually ghosts of these beings, they seem to be more common in certain areas of the planet.
Here in England they appear to be seen often in the North, East Yorkshire being a hot spot if you believe the reports in Paul Sinclair's truth proof books.

<< 1   >>

join