It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Zealand’s White Island Volcano Eruption

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Up to 20 people have been injured, believed to be tourists.

The eruption began at 2:15pm on Monday afternoon
A volcanic ash advisory has been issued for the area around White Island
The alert is currently at level four
There are reports up to 20 people were on the island when it erupted
Local media report people with burns injuries
A rescue operation is underway

www.newshub.co.nz...

The eruption was visible to weather satellites.

twitter.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

LIVE COVERAGE

They're sending rescue boats out?

Here's a link to a video of the eruption from quite a ways away.

Steaming, smoking, belching, bubbling and today - erupting.

New Zealand's rowdiest volcano just had one of its biggest episodes in recent times, as White Island blew. There are reports up to 20 people have been injured.

It followed a series of warning signs that had been growing more alarming over recent weeks.
(Same link)

The pics are showing some people were obliterated along with a camera.

I hope that report is wrong but...

edit on 2824Sunday201913 by silo13 because: added more content

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 09:23 PM
link   
apparently the local cams showed people walking across the crater just minutes before explosion.

not good!

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 10:21 PM
link   

To think I visited that Island a few years back, still have an old broom head and petrified rope from the old sulfur mine based on the Island.
Interesting story, back in the 1800's, 11 men who ran the sulfur mine on the Island disappeared one day with no trace, they only found a pair of boots at the craters edge. However, the miners had a cat who showed up on the main land beach some 45 km away. Lucky survivor!

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 10:28 PM
link   

GNS have downgraded the severity of the volcano and the police are saying that there are less than 50 on the Island.

There was a helicopter on the island from Volcanic Air and all 5 on board have gotten to safety by boat.

St John's Ambulance have said there are a number of burns victims with critical injuries (may not have been those from the helicopter).

The people walking near the crater, caught on webcam, were recorded about 20 minutes prior to the eruption but the webcam itself, which was some distance away, now seems to have fallen off its mounts and is pointing away.

A fisherman who was an eyewitness said "It just looked like what you see of a nuclear bomb going off is what it looked like, kind of was turning into a mushroom cloud the way it just expanded around itself and just went straight up into the sky".

GNS Vulcanologist Geoff Kilgour said "This is on the upper end of what we've seen" (referring to previous eruptions), "so it appears - it's still very early to tell how big it actually is until ... the dust settles - but it's similar to about April 2016 where a plume was generated about the same height. There were some rather substantial rocks that were thrown out and kind of a ground-hugging flow was sent across the crater floor to the sea which is about a kilometer away from the vent".

edit on 8/12/2019 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2019 @ 02:24 AM
link   
5 dead, several still missing and rescue operation suspended as it is too dangerous

Very sad Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 9 2019 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Indeed, sounds like there is more confirmation coming that those now missing may join the tally, lets hope the morn brings better news. So sad that there may not be bodies to recover as such.

originally posted by: angelchemuel
5 dead, several still missing and rescue operation suspended as it is too dangerous

Very sad Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 9 2019 @ 03:11 AM
link   
So sad. These tourists walking on the crater....

On a serious note, this might be beginning of volcano activity in next few months or year(s). With ashes spurting into atmospheres during solar minimum will have some effect.

posted on Dec, 9 2019 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: whiteblack

Some video footage. Stills from cam show those who perished didn't stand a chance.

posted on Dec, 9 2019 @ 05:57 AM
link   
NZ Police statement at midnight 9/12/19. No sign of any survivors.

Death toll at 5 will rise.. Horrible pain for the families this close to christmas..

I do want to say though, if I could leave this Earth in anyway... being instantly annihilated by the power and might of a volcano exploding would be a epic last moment!

posted on Dec, 9 2019 @ 03:20 PM
link   

They don't have boots on the ground yet. A helicopter pilot has reported no sign of life and the call has been made that from now it is a recovery operation not a rescue for the 8 people who were not taken off the island. Drone information should be coming in soon. Of the 39 people taken from the island 5 are dead, 3 have been discharged from hospital the rest are currently being treated, 4 are in a critical condition at Middlemore hospital.

Currently it is to dangerous to return. Half of the people involved were from our cousins across the ditch in Australia hoping that your loved ones recover and our hearts go out to you all.

posted on Dec, 9 2019 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

for real

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 02:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Peter Brake

Not much chance of survival once you’re engulfed by the fumes and dust.

I read charges could be laid.

I doubt any tourists will be allowed back on that island for a long time.

new topics

top topics

join