It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Blocks Bolton's Twitter Access?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I'm never quite sure where to place stories like this.... however...

John Bolton says that he's been locked out of his personal Twitter account after his resignation: www.washingtonexaminer.com...

The White House used the "old guy, can't remember passwords and doesn't know how to reset them" defense... but weakened the defense with "probably" and other vague words: www.washingtonexaminer.com...

I'm on the fence about this story. The gods know it's easy enough to lock someone my age out of their accounts (and unless, like me, they worked in the computer industry, they'd have trouble figuring out how to regain access.) In fact, a lot of friends far younger than me have trouble with this, and reading some of his comments makes it pretty clear (to me) that he is simply a user of technology but doesn't know much about it. On the other hand, it's pretty easy to find friends/colleagues/grandkids/etc to ask for help and in that case the issue would have taken much less time to resolve. Two (plus) months is quite a long time to get through channels for password recovery, particularly for someone of Bolton's status.

So... I think this is one of those "popcorn" news stories... watch and wait to see what else turns up on this (if anything)

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Bolton probably couldn’t remember his password but I think I know it.

1warhawkforisrael

And his back up genocidePalestinians2019
edit on 23-11-2019 by Veryolduser because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

I have a hard time believing that this is a "he forgot his password" thing, with all the lawyers and publishers Bolton has at his disposal.

edit on 23-11-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Look, whenever I have left a job, all of my pws are disabled immediately...I dont see an issue personally.

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   

I am unclear on something.

Was this his personal account that predated his Trump administration service, or was this an account, set up by the white house staff, for him to use?

In my mind, it makes a difference.

For example a personal email vs a dot gov email. They would have no right to interfere with the former, but have every right to shut down the latter.

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

I have a hard time believing that this is a "he forgot his password" thing, with all the lawyers and publishers Bolton has at his disposal.

White House Blocks Bolton's Twitter Access? Who cares, Boltons book will be out before xmas for that perfect gift for people who still read.

And excerpts from Boltons book will be sprayed all over MSM, and social media, much to trumps chagrin. Not often you get to use the word "chagrin" I'm all atingle...

edit on 23-11-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mach2

I am unclear on something.

Was this his personal account that predated his Trump administration service, or was this an account, set up by the white house staff, for him to use?

In my mind, it makes a difference.

For example a personal email vs a dot gov email. They would have no right to interfere with the former, but have every right to shut down the latter.

It appears (from the tweets I'm seeing) that it's a personal account. However, like Trump, he was also apparently using it in an official capacity (which is not recommended.) This meant that all the tweets during his time of service have been collected and archived and can't be erased and are a permanent part of the public governmental record.

Mind you, he's not the only one doing this. However, "use of original personal account for public policy" would explain why it was (perhaps non-maliciously) locked down and then returned.
edit on 23-11-2019 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Look, whenever I have left a job, all of my pws are disabled immediately...I dont see an issue personally.

It was his personal account. Not an account set up for his job.

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   

I'm not a twitter person, but is there even such a thing as "organizational" accounts?

My question was, did this account predate his time at the white house, or was it set up by white house staff?

I appreciate the response, but it didn't address my question.

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

originally posted by: BlueJacket

It was his personal account. Not an account set up for his job.

The two are not mutually exclusive, if you see my point.

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Lol boomers hate to be called boomers.

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Mach2

It looks like he's had his Twitter account since March of 2010. So this account predated his Trump administration appointment.

twitter.com...

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

It looks like he's had his Twitter account since March of 2010. So this account predated his Trump administration appointment.

twitter.com...

Thanks

I'm a Trump supporter, but I'm a bigger supporter of freedom of speech/expression.

If the administration did anything to interfere with the use if a preexisting account, they are wrong, and need to be held accountable.

If it was Trump who made the call, he needs to make a public apology.

That being said, I'm not sure how they could have locked him out, as I doubt the twitter powers that be would be accomplices in such an endeavor, which would seem to be necessary.

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   

'm a Trump supporter, but I'm a bigger supporter of freedom of speech/expression.

Can you be both?

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07

'm a Trump supporter, but I'm a bigger supporter of freedom of speech/expression.

Can you be both?

I don't see why not, if you believe in thr rights gaurenteed by the Constitution, and and the sovereignty of the USA.

Can you elaborate on why you believe President Trump is against free speech?

I mean it's one thing to drop one liners. It's another to actually back it up with facts.

He may be harsh, over the top at times, and exaggerate for effect, but what has he done that suppresses another American's opinion?

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Too bad he didn't work for Twitter though.

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I get that way if I can fanagle the word envelope into a sentence.

I think Bolton said it was his personal twitter account but I thought I also saw that it was recently restored.
His book should be interesting.
Amazon gives free samples of books you can download to the kindle reader app.

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Please forward this link to old John Bolton.

Twitter Password Reset

Maybe his personal Twitter account is linked to a .gov email?

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Seriously, what a joke.. who gives a flying crap lol.. first of all, anyone, i mean anyone who uses twitter know's that only you and twitter can lock your account.. if you don't remember your own password that is on you... if you don't twitter actually has in place a way to reset it and it has nothing to do with white house... lol... even if they kept his phone and if it was a federal phone used in service this is standard practice as is getting rid of all passwords and accounts on it lol... this is just standard practice. Now if he had a personal account on that phone, well bad on him... but that does not mean they locked him out, they can't lock him out... only twitter can do that...

and don't get me started on twitter... i have been cancelled from twitter more times than i can count.. why... for saying the same things that people on opposite sides of issue's say.. but they don't get cancelled... see the problem there... twitter has become just like youtube and facebook and the others and are influencing politics and society at large by censoring anything they don't agree with...

Fact, it is all against our constitution and the EU passed laws that does not allow them to do this or spy on you... ask google, they already paid millions because they broke the law... now we have this protection in our constitution, so why are they allowed to spy on you and sell your data... hmmmm.... see the problem there... google won't even let your phone turn on if you don't agree to their terms of service which does include that they will spy and sell your data in the fine print... that is illegal in this country but we allow them to get away with it...

For me, this all BS....he could gain access to his account again any time he wanted to with the help of twitter lol...

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I don't understand; doesn't Twitter have admin access to twitter accounts, they do own and run the service ?

How does the White House even have the ability to "block" anyone's Twitter account?

Even if the white house played the dirty trick of changing his password on him after he left; couldn't he get Twitter to reset his password?

Bolton must think his followers are dumb.
edit on 23-11-2019 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join