It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Win10 packages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Did a bit of self-help yesterday. Guess I really need to learn more about Win10 packages, in terms of what is available.

I had no idea that a Linux instance could be installed as part of Win10. But I found the way to do it and set it up on my PC. Amazing! I've missed the power of command-line data processing.

Makes me wonder which other powerful package add-ons are available for Win10. I'll have to look that up.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Somewhere within the Windows 10 package, there's a big steaming turd that can be smelt but never seen. You sit down at your PC and there's this stale fart smell. You think maybe you have farted so many times that your chair has become so steeped in it that it never goes away. But the smell lingers and every time you think about W10, the stink gets more potent. What is it about W10 that stinks like #?

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2
Did a bit of self-help yesterday. Guess I really need to learn more about Win10 packages, in terms of what is available.

I had no idea that a Linux instance could be installed as part of Win10. But I found the way to do it and set it up on my PC. Amazing! I've missed the power of command-line data processing.

Makes me wonder which other powerful package add-ons are available for Win10. I'll have to look that up.

Cheers

Wonderful , huh ?
The ability and support for Linux built right in.

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Been running Windows apps under Linux for years. Have a glass of WINE.
BTW, you can run rings around MS Office now that Libre Office is available for Win10. Runs great!

ganjoa

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: ganjoa
BTW, you can run rings around MS Office now that Libre Office is available for Win10. Runs great!

ganjoa

I have Libre Office installed on another PC, good software. The Microsoft apps are annoying these days. Expensive, want registration and personal info, etc. And the whole 64bit vs 32bit thing is just wrong. I mean, if they can make Linux available as a Win10 package, they can't make a 32bit Win available as a Win10 package that runs under the 64bit version?

Cheers

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

To do so would require a large level of code to map 32 64 bit functions as its not as simple as it may seem and would be a major undertaking for providing legacy support.

The biggest pain will be memory management and the general conversion of native 32 or 64 bit numbers to their other one correctly as you need to take into account things like sign bits location and if the number is beyond a 32 bits range what happens? carry flags for overflow which may be used to detect certain things may not trigger as expected.

Generally 16/32 bit programs are being phased out which will remove a lot of cruft from the OS and also a lot of potential attack vectors.

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

You can even make it run a gui, mostly.. but the ability to run bash is most cool. Sudo apt-get install allthethings.

I hate this bloody tablet..
edit on 23-11-2019 by gallop because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ganjoa

ganjoa

Fighting wine is horrible and makes me reinstall Windows. Every. Single. Time...

But bash makes the wifi snooping glorious..

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria
Am I responding to human or a machine here?

I had to reread your post 5 times to just slightly understand what you said. Your knowledge of 1s and 0s impress me. Microsoft!.

I have been bringing a 12 year old sony vaio, originally running Vista but upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, back to life after 2 years offline. It used up my internet bandwith updating 2+ days. 4 gig memory and an old duel core intell processor. It's the first time I have done this without crashing everything in the process. I prayed to God the entire time and He delivered.

edit on 23-11-2019 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-11-2019 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Powershell I guess I think. I dunno, I like having control over my computer so I haven't used windows for almost 10 years now. Uhhhh. I know windows 10 cones with candy crush or some #. I dunno, I have no idea why you'd want to run spyware as your os. I had a bad experience installing that suit accidentally along with Emule back in the early 2000's and I swore I'd never have spyware on my computer again. Windows 10 is literally spyware. I've posted before about it, but even the calc app spies.on you, they realeased the source code for it, you can look St the telemetry code for yourself, it might as well be a keyloggers, and that's just the calculator.

github.com...

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Quick tip. If you can't operate your machine, you're going to get a virus, trojan or something else.

If you can operate your machine, the OS doesn't matter.

take your L plates down.

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 01:52 AM
link   

dug88, yes, powershell is command line as well. I learned command line data processing using Unix at work, so I am more productive using a Linux shell.

That bit about the calculator is interesting. Does it do the telemetry even when, during install, I told Windows I did not want it reporting back to Microsoft? Or is this sneaky-plus and reports back anyway?

gallop -- re: your comment about WINE. Something about it makes you reinstall your Windows OS? Or do you mean installing a second version of Windows (perhaps an older version) for the "use" of WINE?

Cheers

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

CharlesT, interesting project. No issues finding vaio-specific drivers that work with Win10?

Cheers

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Powershell I guess I think.

I think F2d5thCavv2 is talking about the Windows Subsystem for Linux.

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Yes, WSL.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I am using a Hp with a i5 and 8 gb of ram at the moment as i am staying at a friends and using it BUT what a pile of xxxx it is , i have a duel core at home with 3 gb of ram and a ssd with W7 and i could run rings round this w10 piece of xxxx for speed of doing things

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   

That bit about the calculator is interesting. Does it do the telemetry even when, during install, I told Windows I did not want it reporting back to Microsoft? Or is this sneaky-plus and reports back anyway?

Cheers

Yes the only way to disable it is to build a Dev version from source. But it's every single.Microsoft app. Not just the calculator. They just released the source code for it so you can go to the source file itself and see everything they track. Which is literally everything.

github.com...

news.ycombinator.com...

Every keypress, everything entered into an input box, every button you click, how long you hover the mouse over something. Literally everything. You can't completely disable telemetry in windows 10. You can only lessen the amount of tracking unless you have the enterprise edition of windows.
edit on 24/11/2019 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   

CharlesT, interesting project. No issues finding vaio-specific drivers that work with Win10?

Cheers
No problems. All of the drivers are p to date but resources are severely limited. Video card resources are maxed out and it needs an upgraded card that I wont spend the money for. The Blueray drive is fubar and needs replaced as well. I'll use the funds on a new computer.

posted on Nov, 25 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

It's probably loaded with garbage from factory, it's amazing the amount of garbage they install.

posted on Nov, 25 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

HP are famous for loading crap just like Acer

new topics

top topics

join