It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sorta classified German readiness rates

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Hey all

dunno if anyone is interested but readiness rates for 2019 are bad as usual.

Due to politic the annual report to the Bundestag on readiness rates has been classified as secret last year by then Minister of Defense von der Leyen. This year there is a new Minister of Defense but the old classification is still vaid (but may get changed, uncertain for the moment).

The Spiegel published the juciy bits anyway. Couldnt find an english source
www.spiegel.de...

NH90: 44 out of 75 available, 9 mission capable (12%)
Tiger: 36 out of 53 available, 12 'flyable' (22%)
CH-53: 48 out of 71 available, 18 'flyable' (25%)
Tornado: 57 out of 93 available, 20 'flyable' (35%)
A400M: 19 out of 31 available, 8 'flyable' (25%)

Puma (IFV): 191 out of 284 available, 67 mission capable (23%)
Leopard (MBT): 183 out of 245 available, 101 mission capable (41%)

Note the shenanigans.
The Ministry of Defense argues vehicles not in physical possession of a unit don't count against readiness rates. If a manufacturer is unable to fix an aircraft for months and months for whatever reason, we just need to pretend the aircraft basically doesn't exist and everything is fine.
Also just because an aircraft is in flyable condition doesn't mean it's fully combat capable.

Another thing they tried last year was global readiness rates. Basically they had the bright idea to just include other (rather non military) systems as well, like for instance databse servers. This resulted in global mission capable rates of more than 70 percent. Entirely bs of course and somehow not even von der Leyen tried to run with hat.

And of course those are MoD numbers. The situation is actually much worse believe it or not.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 03:50 AM
link   
*bah* all that will get better as soon as we invest the FULL 2% of our GDP (or something)!
/s

No, it will not. Because the contracting papers (on NH90, A400M and I have no doubt on several other military projects as well) were so stupidly written, were so full of loopholes and unclear demands that we could not fix this with all the money in the world - the industry simply does not care, the military cannot solve this, and AKK is completely incompetent.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Nothing listed for Typhoon or submarines. These are the two things I have heard are never really in service, or at low levels of availability. If I recall, at one point only four Typhoons could fly and all submarines were dysfunctional. The rich Germans seem to have continual problems in funding their defence.

I wonder how the Germans compare with the French, or even the British.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 04:03 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

French have 10% of their army dedicated to internal security duties indefinitely. That has to hurt readiness.

Sentinelle

Cheers
edit on 21-11-2019 by F2d5thCavv2 because: +url

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2

French have 10% of their army dedicated to internal security duties indefinitely. That has to hurt readiness.

Sentinelle

Cheers

If I was in the equivalent of the French Nobility (Parliament) ... I would ban every word in the sentence 'Let them eat cake'.

That is why the army is doing internal security.

Those yellow vests are unruly.

P

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Nothing listed for Typhoon or submarines. These are the two things I have heard are never really in service, or at low levels of availability. If I recall, at one point only four Typhoons could fly and all submarines were dysfunctional. The rich Germans seem to have continual problems in funding their defence.

I wonder how the Germans compare with the French, or even the British.

Do.Not.Ask.about the submarines! Last I heard is that one is on duty again, finally.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Further evidence that Germany is terrified of losing the UK from the union.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I'm surprised the NH90 is that high.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Keep in mind, in reality it translates to something like 'yeah I guess we could probably get it flying for two hours tomorrow if we really have to'.
edit on 21-11-2019 by mightmight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: mightmight

That program has been a hot mess since the word go, and getting worse.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Composite airframe?
a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Probably played a role. Lots of problems from the seats not being rated for enough weight, to rubbing causing damage to the engine and transmission, to just about everything in between.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Jesus. And this is why I scoff at Germany investing in a from scratch stealth program.

The A400M is of interest to me, as its a new plane relatively and only 25%? How much of that is the "don't care" attitude Germany has towards its defense obligations and how much of it is that iffy plane?

I mean its all cool looking but its doing nothing to quell my notion that the A400M was nothing more than a European Jobs Program ala the A380

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 04:35 PM
link   

From what I have gathered the Typhoon readiness is pretty bad and the Submarine is an easy number 0%

edit on 11/21/19 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Germany when it comes to meeting their NATO, defense and readiness obligations:

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

They just refused two aircraft because of reliability issues. In July, 18 of the 20 RAF aircraft were grounded due to engine gearbox problems. They're seeing problems with mostly engine related issues, that don't look like they'll be fixed until sometime next year.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They just refused two aircraft because of reliability issues. In July, 18 of the 20 RAF aircraft were grounded due to engine gearbox problems. They're seeing problems with mostly engine related issues, that don't look like they'll be fixed until sometime next year.

Yeah, They shafted Pratt and Whitney Canada to keep the propulsion in the EU. Sigh. Maybe Boeing terminated the C-17 line too soon

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Maybe a time for Damilar Benz and Mercedes to get back into the engine game...

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Keeping engine development in the EU wasn't the problem. But forcing a joint venture between four European engine manufacturers to build an absurd monstrosity of a turboprop engine didn't work out so well for some odd reason.

posted on Nov, 25 2019 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: FredT
The A400M is of interest to me, as its a new plane relatively and only 25%? How much of that is the "don't care" attitude Germany has towards its defense obligations and how much of it is that iffy plane?

I mean its all cool looking but its doing nothing to quell my notion that the A400M was nothing more than a European Jobs Program ala the A380

It started off as a good idea, a gap between C130 and C17 with many partners and a more modern aircraft, it wasnt necessarily a vanity project, there were good numbers of potential sales and a market.

Then politics and all that turned it into delayed mess of a project and people left.

It may have become more of chasing the sunken costs and the political will to show we can work together than a European Jobs Program.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join