It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetic genealogical search tool

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Am I alone in feeling a bit Leary about a "genetic genealogical search tool" Just how does this tool work in identifying unidentified DNA ?

Does this prove that all those Ancestry DNA sites all go into one government database ?

"Over 22 years later, investigators from the Livermore Police Department were able to get a lead using a genetic genealogical search tool which led them to Vien."

According to prosecutors, a woman walking to a Bay Area Rapid Transit station after work on May 6 was attacked by an unidentified man who “dragged her to a secluded area” before he sexually assaulted her. Several months later, on Sept. 7, a second woman was sexually assaulted while on a walk near Livermore High School. Police were able to recover DNA from both crime scenes that were “found to be a match to each other.” The samples were uploaded to the national DNA database to no avail.

"Detectives began to surveil Vein in August after discovering that he had lived in Livermore for several decades, including around the time the crimes were committed.

According to a probable cause statement, police subsequently collected “several items” that had been thrown in the garbage, including a “Baskin-Robbins spoon” that Vien used to eat ice cream."

Source
edit on 11/20/2019 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Gargoyle91

Does this prove that all those Ancestry DNA sites all go into one government database ?

With a search warrant anything is possible. I believe one of the DNA sites are now fully accessed by the government.

Just how does this tool work in identifying unidentified DNA ?

DNA is a map. So if enough people have their DNA analysed the police/government can trace people back through cousins, sisters, parents etc.

If they have John Doe DNA, they can match it against the map of other people, then relatives and narrow it down from there.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91
Am I alone in feeling a bit Leary about a "genetic genealogical search tool" Just how does this tool work in identifying unidentified DNA ?

Not at all. I'm sure Hunter Biden feels the same way.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 11/20/2019 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91

Actually it's a great tool for solving crimes. DNA matches are definitive. Worked in this case and got a rapist off the streets.

I suppose the only people that would have reason for concern, would be someone who might be caught by their own DNA. Could be a problem for identical twins if one of them is a creep and the other one is not.

The DNA sites that offer genealogy information and health information I'm sure sell their data. My main concern would be about medical information and insurers abusing it. Not law enforcement catching rapists. I think DNA information should be protected to insure privacy, except in the case of a crime.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I suppose the only people that would have reason for concern, would be someone who might be caught by their own DNA. Could be a problem for identical twins if one of them is a creep and the other one is not.

Could be a problem is someone plants DNA too. I watch too much investigation discovery.
Most people (criminals) are dumb, but there are some really evil people out there.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Faking, i.e.: Planting false evidence, is not a new thing. Probably more important is that DNA evidence can EXONERATE people just as easily. That is a very important point.

top topics

join