It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Misterspock Scotch review.... Macallan 10 Year Fine Oak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 10:15 PM
link   
So I didn't plan on reviewing this one, let alone posting back to back on another.

But, I figured I'd put down a few thoughts for the one(or two, probably one, most likely not even one) person that may actually follow these, other than me of course.

Macallan is one of the most respected and sought after houses when it comes to scotch, their bottles are almost always at a premium(around here) compared to anything else on the shelf, either in age or in style.

I've had a love hate(love some because they are good, hate because for the price they just don't hold up).

Enter, the fine oak line. I've had all of them(a long time ago) up to the 21. Drank a lot of 10 and 15.

Overall, while often times a less visible and what seems like a "second" line. I think these are honestly the better offerings that I've had from them.

The fine oak line is matured in such a way(triple, Euro/American sherry and then american bourbon) that you get a much smoother, lighter and almost sweet taste with subtle "fruit" that just goes down so damn nice. And the 10, being the lowest aged in the macallan line, is still an absolute pleasure and hits a price(highly variable by region, but in my non metro rural area, is about 45 a bottle) that overlaps even most small batch bourbons from all the american distilleries.

Really a highly recommended option IMO, especially in the younger years(simply because of cost of entry).

Love the fine oak line. I think if anyone wanted to ease themselves into trying "scotch"(It's just whisky) and have heard or experienced bad things, this is a good one to try.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 10:28 PM
link   
What I find interesting about most scotch drinkers is how so many fall for the "age" of the offering.

It's understandable, more time in the barrel and more time "vested" into the product should mean a "better" product, but when it comes to the common years. 10, 12, 15, it's really more down to the actual end product with regard to end user cost.

"I've had 12 year olds that were way better than others 15 or even in some cases 18 year olds."
-Jeffrey Epstein

Seriously though, there is honestly a bit of marketing at play here. And so many fall for it.

Given the two reviews I did here today and the price difference(the 10 year fine oak, this one, was about 60 percent the cost of the dalmore(which is good)). If the option for a free bottle was given to me I'd grab the 10 year and run naked off into the woods laughing with my precious bottle of scotch.

I guess people that drink wine will know exactly what I'm talking about. It's just the usual law of diminishing returns.
edit on 19-11-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I got really drunk on my nineteenth birthday in nineteen seventy five at my fraternity off of scotch. I have not been even able to smell it since then. The drinking age was eighteen back then.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I got really drunk on my nineteenth birthday in nineteen seventy five at my fraternity off of scotch. I have not been even able to smell it since then. The drinking age was eighteen back then.

So...you're saying you're a quiter....

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Jokes aside, I'm shocked that my drinking liquor reviews(on a tuesday night) aren't getting tons of responses.

I guess that means only one thing......

You people have a non drinking problem......Yup, that's totally it.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

originally posted by: rickymouse

So...you're saying you're a quiter....

Yeah. I did not go over to meet my cousin so he came over and I was passed out on the sofa downstairs. he and some of my fraternity brothers were doing an experiment on me, they put my fingers in warm water....it worked. A scientific experiment with only a single blind study of one test mouse. I woke up with wet pants.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Actually just noticed your reviews, definitely a huge fan of whiskey and have also learnt age is but a number
... I would suggest if you havent already tried tullamor dew 12yo a real favourite of mine. Your review on the macallan sounds like a treat so I will be on the hunt for a bottle, thanks for effort

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 03:50 AM
link   
One of my favorites, I’d given my pops the 12 year fine oak for xmas, 2 years in a row, because we consumed the first bottle in a single evening. It’s pricey in South Africa as well, but damn smooth and the sweetness is just right.

I can sometimes grab them on special for a decent price, but not often.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

I am a huge fan of scotch! That being said I prefer the Islay area scotches. The smokier the better! Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Kilchoman Machir Bay, & Ardbeg Uigeadial just to name a few.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   
There is a restaurant in Coventry, Fort Wayne, Indiana called The Tavern. I lived walking distance there for about six months. They have a Scotch bar there, and I used to frequent it regularly. The Scotch was really good, and there was quite a selection. And that is all that I remember.

So I guess it was pretty good. I just hope it was not underage.

join