It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Misterspock movie review.... Anna

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 09:27 PM
link   
So, it's a movie review, of a movie I'm only half way into....

But...it's less of a review of the actual movie but just moreso of the writer and the general "tone" of these films.

Luc Besson, I've had this movie in my possession for awhile and I've meant to watch it, I guess time just gets away from me. But in my last movie review it was brought up as a req, which just spurred my desire to watch a film I already intended on watching.

I'm a faltering movie buff, years back I watched EVERYTHING. In the past 5 years I've distanced myself and have been more of a pick and choose when it comes to films. But I've always had a bit of a eye for certain genres and those that produce within it. What initially drew me to Anna??? Again, luc bessson.

I'm a huge fan of his, as I'm sure anyone would be if they like his unique flare for a usually formulaic action film.

It's possible many don't even know his name, but they will if they realize he's been behind some of the best action films and has introduced one of the best action stars in the current biz.

Luc has been behind a lot of epic films of the 90's and early 00's.

La Femme Nikita, Point of no Return, Leon(I love jean reno, shout out to ronin), Fifth Element, Transporter(I'd argue he truly put statham on the map), From Paris with Love(a travolta hidden gem), and of course the first taken film.

This man delivers and his mechanism may be pretty basic, but it works. So Anna, is just another vehicle for him to use the usual "hot euro babe" and as usual she is smokin and deadly, a usual action vehicle to make another good watchable movie.

It's a formula that works. Sometimes to better effect than others, but he's churning out what most viewers love. A good action movie and occasionally he hits a home run. While I feel that Anna isn't one of his best, it's a movie that I, as a Luc fan, will always give my time too. In the end you can't always break the mold with a scifi esque fantasy movie like Fifth Element, or project a star like Statham, but on the whole it's consistent action stories that put butts in seats and make people walk away "happy".
edit on 17-11-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

You cant do a review of a movie your only half through!

That's like judging what the Taco will do to your toilet mid bite.

I expected more from you...

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sabrechucker

You cant do a review of a movie your only half through!

That's like judging what the Taco will do to your toilet mid bite.

I expected more from you...

If you read my post, you'd realize I can in fact do a review of this specific movie mid way through(since it's pretty derivative given the writer).

As for the taco..........

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 09:54 PM
link   

I'll go back and read your post.

Just respect the Taco!

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 10:00 PM
link   
So this is a pretty decent film, as I continue through it.

But I guess the biggest detriment to this is the writers past work, agian, thats Luc Besson for those following at home.

I still hold his SINGLE best film as Fifth element, id entertain an argument for Leon.

And given he has a "series" under his belt like Transporter with that bald headed badass Statham. I know he's capable of much better.

It still gets a thumbs up for a solid rental(obviously out of theaters now) and I'm 50 50 on a physical disc buy.

No doubt the female lead, as usual for him, is smoking hot. But that's just par for the course with luc(god that couch is either really dirty or he burns one for every film).

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 10:39 PM
link   
So what I love about this film, and many of lucs, is how he gives the lead roles their power. Without the current narrative nonsense.

These woman, these unbelievably beautiful women(is it a odd they are all eastern euro...no...) wield their beauty(and power) over all the fools(men) that succumb to their beauty.

It's a sound premise, because I'd give up every secret I know for any institution at the mere breath of their interest.

So what makes a great action movie producer with a female lead? I guess I just now realized he's been played a time or two, life all of us would be.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Anna was somewhat disappointing for me. I wanted more from it and expected it to be as good or better than Atomic Blonde which it wasn’t. I loved the actress and director and like you said I expected more than this derivative tripe.

I definitely respect a writer and/or director who just makes strong characters with a good story without all the ‘woke’ nonsense that ruins so many films these days. As I get olde I too find myself watching less films and being more selective. I just remember someone like me over 45 (and 50) is no longer in the target demo for movies.
edit on 2019/11/17 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I used to love watching his film The Big Blue when I was a boy in the 80’s. All that sunshine, water, and freedom. Good film.

top topics

join