It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you ever been in a silent place? A place with no noise?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Yes I have years ago. If you’re accustomed to it, it can’t bother you, noise would bother you if you’re exposed to silence for too long and vice versa,

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Wildmanimal

Yeah, it's not a very fun place.

No bugs though, so there is that.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Everyone seems to miss your point, the vulnerability of being on your own, and being able to hear every sound.
I spent a lot of time as a kid surviving on a stretch of land that use to be a game farm.

It still had some leopards and big game walking and stalking around there.
I could always go back, usually just had a gun, sleeping bag and a buddy for company.

On my own I would probably lose it and start shooting into the darkness.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   
A week solo with a tarp strung between two crooked ol' sad-looking juniper trees smack dab in the middle of high desert country. All I had was a small chunk of obsidian and my dull Old Hickory knife so I could start a fire, a small bag of rice and lentils, and all the lonesome feels a lonesome fella could feel, serenaded by the wailing falshetto of the coyotes. The sort of thing that helps you get to the bottom of your personhood, where your demons are your only company. If you ever find yourself there, I'll tell you same as the voice told me: you're on your own, so good luck, woodchuck!
edit on 11/18/2019 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Being completely isolated is not a funny thing, I don't like silence. I guess if I think about it, I went down through a valley that had train tracks and I couldn't see sh@t I had to take my boot and kick the railway spikes with each step.

Well, I did take poo once next to a graveyard, it was kinda silent there.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I actually love the quiet. It's one of the things I love the most about living in the country.

In the OP I was referring to the mental realization of complete silence and that 'alone' feeling in a strange place, not really a familiar one.

My sister, for example, lives in NY and she thrives on constant noise and commotion. I can't stand it. But when she comes to visit she says the silence here drives her crazy and terrifies her. So, it's that same concept, the silence in an unfamiliar place.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Probably not quite the reply you were looking for.

When I was 12, in 1984. My home town (at the time), Watford were in the FA Cup final in 1984 playing against Everton. As expected, everybody in the town was watching it, either at home or in the pub. Although not a huge fan of football, i watched it too. Towards the end of the match Everton had quite clearly won, and to me it didn't seem that Watford would pull it back from being 2-nil down. So I went outside to play...

There was not a soul out. No cars could be heard, lorrys nor buses. Even the birds were silent. A very odd experience indeed. In later years i watched the Stephen King film, The Langoliers. That film reminded me of those few minutes of complete silence, as if the entire world had stopped. I couldn't imagine how you would re-create that moment in time to experience the utter silence i felt that afternoon, especially in a inhabited area of the country.

Best regards

top topics

<< 1   >>

join