It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you ever been in a silent place? A place with no noise?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Have you ever been all alone, in a completely silent place??? Did you like it?

Far away from "home", when everything is completely silent? When you were hundreds of miles away from anyone, not even a single person.

Did you enjoy it? Did it scare you? The silence?

There's this sudden realization, you're all alone. There's no one to help. You look around and see all the things you need, and you have this mental vote of confidence, but then the night sets in.

All the bad-ass things you've done are no match now. You're the toughest guy in the Universe, but there's just this one sound "out there". You thought you could do it ALL! Now, suddenly, you seem so small, so insignificant. ...and it's going to be "days" before you get picked up from the jungle.

Yeah, I've been there. I've seen the wild boars darting through the trees at night. They look completely black, you know.

And you hear, you hear you are not welcome there, but you have to move on.

And then there were the snakes! All manner of snakes; some poisonous, some not. For me, I always worried about the "constrictors"', they were BIG snakes. We'd let the big snakes go, but the small ones...DEAD!! They were "Asps".

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I have spent time in the woods many years ago that occasionally got dead-silent. It didn't bother me. What bothers me now is total silence because then I can hear the Tinnitus and it irritates me.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Spent some time in a cave no light no sound was told I would go blind in such and such time and then would go insane. Yep it was a little unnerving.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   

In an anechoic chamber you start to hear your own pulse.

But less seriously, from a 'Worst Opening Lines' competition: "As a scientist, Throckmorton knew that if he were ever to break wind in the echo chamber he would never hear the end of it."

edit on 17/11/2019 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I sometimes imagine floating in outer space with only distant stars in sight w/o a suit but being able to breathe. That would be silence but I imagine enjoying it... I imagine it would get old fast though.

I never thought it would scare me though, something to think about.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 07:01 PM
link   

For moment I thought you were talking about a float chamber.

I've been in plenty of quite places but rarely completely silent, like the above. Even the dead of night has its sounds, usually. There's almost always a sound, except those nights in the country when the power goes out and you're lying in bed, night sounds muted by the walls and roof, and the silence is a sound in itself.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   

I rented a fairly isolated mountain cabin one time, and it snowed.
The silence was deafening and very enjoyable. Very peaceful.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Yup.
An isolation tank.
Pitch black and sound proof.

After about 45 minutes I was seeing colours and all sorts of interesting geometric shapes.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 07:15 PM
link   
England on a Sunday before the Tory's allowed shop's to open up and trade on Sunday's, back in the 1970's and very early 1980's were I lived you could walk through the town center and not see another soul, the shop's were closed except for a few corner shop's and you rarely saw any cars on the road on Sundays back then were I lived, it could get eerily quite at time's especially around noon when everyone was having the Sunday roast if you were not and were out but it was also kind of nice.
But absolute silence is horrible, it is a kind of separation and detachment from life itself and makes you feel isolated and lonely, it is a relief to get back out of somewhere like that a water drainage underground pipe network for example and back among life even if it is just bird's in the tree's.

link   
The salt mine under lake Michigan.

The quietest, darkest place I have ever been.

Creepy place when they shut off the lights and you realize your under millions of ton of stone and water.

link   
I love the woods, but the woods are far from silent, even when there is no wind. You can hear things half a mile away sometimes. It is the place where I can think clearly and enjoy the silence of nature.

I have been in caves and mineshafts where all you can hear is the induced currents of wind flowing through them. Wind or no wind outside, there is movement of air and sounds.

I have never been in a completely silent place in my life. There must be some places out there, but I have not been in one of them.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=24767454]Flyingclaydisk[/post
I am still breathing and hear my heart beating. It’s hard to have true silence.😴

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I always hear a very light ringing noise when in “complete silence” if that’s what we want to call it.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Deep in a cave, diving deep in the sea, and alone in my cabin on the mountain at night. I think the cabin is the quietest and it seems the darkest, I swear it’s so quiet I can hear a squirrel break wind.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 07:40 PM
link   

I used to walk my dog down an old abandoned road in the early morning after a heavy snowfall. The quiet was beautiful and soothing.

I also love to float in pools and stare at the sky. My favorite pool was at a place called Power Ranch in AZ. The pool had tall metal shaped flowers that would spray water out of the petals. It was so beautiful and floating allowed me the quiet so I could take in the beauty.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

That's Tinitus, I suffer from it and so do a very great many people a constant high pitched tone like a hissing or squealing, different people suffer it differently but it is a genuine and known phenomena.
Remember before you suffered that, the absolute silence were you could hear the wind blowing in the distance and the sound of a lone car changing gears many, many miles away for example if you ever stayed up late as a kid with that telescope your mom bought you and sneaked out into the garden in the wee hours to watch the moon or stars.

Nickyn3 been in a cave over here in the UK as a kid, there is a famous one in the lake district were there is a ringing hollow stalagmite that chimes like a bell if you tap it, this cave used to be full of water and is a limestone cave system but back in the victorian period someone broke through a wall of solid stalagmites and stalactites that had blocked the cave completely releasing the water from it, a silent crystal clear stream run's through it and on guided tour's the guide takes the tour to a safe place and turn's out the lights, silence is not the thing when you have a group of kid's on a tour as when that happened one of the young lady's had one of her breast's grabbed by one of the boy's as soon as the light went off (not that a part of people is ever silent) so for us it was more a case of a defining scream, the odd thing was that it was night time outside and despite the electric low wattage light bulb's that illuminated much of the cave when we came out we could see so very sharply even in the darkness, the experience of absolute darkness is an eye opener sometime's.

edit on 17-11-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 10:38 PM
link   

I spent a few sessions in Isolation Tanks
back in the day. J.C. Lilly Sensory Deprivation Chambers.
Then there were those moonless nights when
I would walk though the Western Canyons.
Having no ability to rely on my vision along
with complete silence. That is until things started to
surround me in the darkness....

It stood my neck hair on end.
Experiences like that make a person feel alive in a form
of perception that is not easily forgotten.

Then there was that strange moment in Central Park West.
A busy day right in the middle of Manhattan and I could hear
a pin drop. It was so odd and unexpected. One block over
and it was typical traffic,sirens,noise chaos. It just seemed
to defy the reality of circumstances.

The above are notable experiences as compared to the pleasant
and welcome innocuous sounds of silence that occur weekly.

Except for the never ending high pitch frequency I always hear now.
Tinnitus? Frequency waves? Who knows, but it is annoying at times.
Cheers to those special moments of silence.
S&F

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Notoneofyou

That must be something.
I think I'll skip that experience though.
If I can.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Do any of you have any remedies
for "Tinnitus"?
In fact, that would be a good counter
thread to this one.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 12:00 AM
link   

No contest to the astronaut in the void of space.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join