It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't call me a Boomer unless:

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
Fun fact though.

Forums are so 10 years ago. In a way, everyone her is some internet boomer dinosaur. We are just a half step away from being a bbs board.

I'm a Gen X'er and BBS and Forums were a starting point for us. The internet didn't really kick in for me until I was already in my 20s and that was pretty much at the start of it. I was running a BBS at 16 years old back in 88.

As a matter of fact, I knew Beto before he was mexican and just some nerd know it all kid who thought his $#!% didn't stink, back when he was experimenting with illegal stuff that hackers and crackers often did in those days.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Veryolduser

You and I have a totally different view for Boomers. My Boomer parents as well as my grandparents AND great grand parents were all VERY hard workers. They all struggled in the 70s, back when wages stopped being worth a living.

Being an Xer, I had the hard work concept pushed in to me over and over again until I got it. You know who I see as the problem?

Millennials and more so, Gen Z'ers. I work around a lot of them. Millennials tend to just show up when they want to though they realize they have to... their effort? not so much

Z'ers are entitled little $#!%s!! Getting those lil bastards to work is damn near an impossibility. Trying to get my boss to hire HARD WORKERS is an impossibility because they're either overqualified and always too old to take the risk. If they're above 30, they can't get in unless they started in this line of work and are still in it before they get here. Instead, I'm surrounded by guys that hate to work and seldom show up on time, no matter how much I threaten or demand that they do so. I have 2 other Xers that work under me and they're the only ones that 'get it' and feel the exact same way as myself.

My boss is even a Millennial and he doesn't say much about it - just leaves it to me.. Go figure. He's cool as hell but... like I said... Go figure.

I know this doesn't apply to everyone. Some people actually kept the whole work hard play hard attitude from their parents but not many... not many.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   
When I first heard that "OK, Boomer" was a thing I thought it was an obscure Battlestar Galactica reference.

Now, I'm just hoping someone at next week's impeachment show answers a question with, "Epstein didn't kill himself, OK Boomer?"
edit on 17-11-2019 by VictorVonDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Veryolduser

These boomer parents Mercilessly mocked their own children for not being able to get jobs, called them lazy gave them stupid advice like go business to business with a resume in hand “hit the bricks”.

You are FAR from joking, I saw this brat attitude from parents in highly blighted areas of FL drive fellow millennials into very deep depressions. Not a single shred of "Yeah hon, I know we're not hiring, and the place next door isn't hiring. Hell, the whole block isn't hiring, but you gotta keep trying anyway, it's got to give at some point". No, none of that from boomers, they seemed to take great pride in gaslighting the living s# out of the younger folks and making them actually begin to question whether or not the lack of work was really just a lack of initiative, a lazy person missing the mark, etc. It was pretty fricking awful.

Thing is, the Silent Gen NEVER DENIGRATED the grandkids, because they'd BTDT back in their own day, so they actually had a clue. As opposed to the parents who thought because they had a job that hadn't pink slipped them yet, everybody else must be lazy.

The worse part is it’s the people who raised us, the people who taught us and we felt wanted the best for us who set us up to fail. It’s like a their whole boomer generation had Munchausen syndrome by proxy with us as their victims

For what it's worth, my late grandmother was a firm believer that the Silents screwed up big-time with the Boomers. She categorized the bulk of them as spoiled, entitled and cold to other age groups (older & younger alike) She was really emphatic about the spoiled end. My mother and uncles grew up relatively "cash poor" but "thing rich" -- working class & barely getting by, but stashing just enough to spend money on things to spoil the kids with throughout the year. She said they'd given the 3 far too much, and not made them earn anywhere near enough to learn to appreciate what they were given, and it ballooned into 3 spoiled, entitled adults. To date, despite two out of the three marrying into "Old Money" families and sitting on large piles of it, figuratively speaking, all 3 of them think if it costs money, or effort to do, it's someone else's job to pay for, or do. "If ma (grandmother) was still around, she could pay for it/pay for someone to do it!"

The probate case for her (again, grandmother) that never went to court is a great example, they Mexican Stand-offed each other over who'd pay for the court costs. I'm fairly sure the statute of limitations has run out on filing now, and they're all out whatever money she had to claim and whatever was in her SD box. All because "You pay for it." "No, YOU pay for it!" "I don't think so, that costs money, you pay for it" "Hey Nyiah, you and the husband feel like paying to get this started" "No, that's your responsibility to wrangle. Grow up already." Lather, rinse, repeat. They're a great example of the childish irresponsibility that they turn around and claim is so "millennial".

It's not limited to just them, the attitude is coming out in spades in the gen bracket. Between observing older neighbors, and people watching in public, they're not giving any s#s anymore about maintaining any image of being the opposite of those they criticize. Some of the worst manners and behavior I observe out of people is the boomers. Rudeness in the company of others in particular is getting out of hand. You're not old enough to blame it on Alzheimer's yet, and hypocrisy is not a good look on anyone. If you're going to bitch about the attitudes of younger generations, you might want to put a degree of effort into not DOING what you bitch about.

edit on 11/17/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Zelun

Then your assertion is that one percent of one percent "actually saw combat."
You sad #ing tool.
I'd absolutely love to show you the things I've seen
I'd love to drag your ass back into a bunker while we received indirect fire
I'd love to see your face, treating my friends for massive blood loss, knowing they won't make it.
Save it. Your platitudes are telling and damning. You don't know what the # you're talking about.

My numbers stand true. There is no need to get aggressive, so you are one of the 1%ers OK I get it. By the numbers there has been about 1.4 million in the military each year since 2001. The height of Afghanistan war was 100,000 troops in 2010 and 2011, and even at the highest level that means only 5% of the military went there each of those years.

Of that 5% a small fraction actually ever went out pass the walls of where they were deployed.

It sounds like you were at a FOB so what was your job and what location are you talking about?

I'm not saying any of this as a put down to the military, it is just factual numbers of reality. I'm saying the 1% of 1% is special in a way most American's have no clue about.

Yes, I was totally out of line. I am truly sorry I snapped like that.

Without doxing myself, I was retired 25S20 with a 7D modifier, sr. satcom systems opr/mnt, tactical. The worst I saw was during the second half of the 2000s on FOB Kalsu, I believe it's now COS Kalsu, if it still exists, sort of near Karbala. A little ways south of Baghdad on MSR Tampa. We did our fobbit jobs, but we also would run repair and resupply missions to a couple surrounding outposts with little more than SNAP terminals and FM. That region was known as the Triangle of Death, because when Saddam fell, it left several munitions factories and ammo dumps unguarded. Lots and lots of IEDs, mortars and rockets were sourced from those facilities by the insurgency. And lots of them ended up screaming over my head. There is something especially terrifying about being shot at and not being able to return fire. Later I did a rotation at Masar-i-Sharif in Afghanistan, and another in the Kandahar region. Those experiences were totally different. But that's the way of it. No two deployments are the same.

In all of that time, I never once fired my weapon in anger. But I have seen people die, despite my best efforts. So did I see combat? I guess you can be the judge.

And again, I'm really sorry I snapped like that. It was uncalled for, and unbecoming.

best,
z

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of the state of divisive politics in the US including political ideology, politicians, political figures, politics in the media, and speculation of conspiracy theories related to the divisive state.

From the official description of the US Political Madness forum,

OP is a Rant.

Yes, good point. Thank you to the mods for filing this correctly.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
"Ok Boomer" is just a way for my generation to dismiss criticism of their fantastical and delusional worldview.

I've never seen anything so pathetic.

I'm a millennial.

I'm a millennial too. All my friends are successful in different professions as am I. None of us expect things to be handed to us and as a group we're well rounded and if we don't know how to do something, we know someone who does.

Millennials thinking they can generalize other generations are just as delusional as someone who thinks all of millennials can be generalized.

(not aimed at you, just a general observation)
edit on 17-11-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I'm a millennial too. All my friends are successful in different professions as am I. None of us expect things to be handed to us and as a group we're well rounded and if we don't know how to do something, we know someone who does.

Millennials thinking they can generalize other generations are just as delusional as someone who thinks all of millennials can be generalized.

As a Boomer I ate dirt as a two year old and my parents would laugh, walked to school about a mile even in first grade and my parents never walked with me one time...lol No helmets, knee pads or seat belts, the Mom arm bar was about the best you might get in an accident. We had gun clubs in school...

Truly a different breed then today's younger crowd.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I was an early nineties kid... We didn't have most tech, my house didn't have cable. And I was raised by a single mom who worked a lot. So I would go out by myself from age five on. Not all kids were babied.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

It isn't just the millennials. While you may be in the minority, you are not the rule.

Statistically speaking our generation is made of vastly late starters or nonstarters. We are nihilistic, we shun the notion of work and are hostile to heirarchies of competence.

The next generation are considerably worse as they do not think for themselves, they dont exercise problem-solving skills at all, choosing instead to defer their problem solving to their smartphones; a trend started by younger millennials.

Millennials are the fattest generation and they want universal healthcare to pay for the torrent of diseases & disorders that come from that instead of putting down the #ing double bacon-double cheese-double burger while seeking validation online for their disgusting lack of self-control.

I have plenty of criticism for the boomer generation and Gen X. However, nothing will get done or fixed if we don't acknowledge the shackles holding most of us in place. Most of which were attached to our fat cankles by our greasy cheese-fry fingers, irresponsibility, and distorted worldview.
edit on 11 17 2019 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

😎👍thanks for the education,
I am now informed but
Shouldn’t they be pre millinnials. 😐

I am not a boomer, sorry

Yeah I get how someone could make that mistake. I made the same mistake until I found out I was considered a millennial I always thought I was late gen x and millennials started in 1984 but they changed it to 81

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

As a Boomer I ate dirt as a two year old and my parents would laugh, walked to school about a mile even in first grade and my parents never walked with me one time...lol No helmets, knee pads or seat belts, the Mom arm bar was about the best you might get in an accident. We had gun clubs in school...

Truly a different breed then today's younger crowd.

I don’t think you quite understand that it was boomers who instituted these rules not millennials I mean how could we as children. I used to ride my bike to school over 2 miles away from my home, I never received a participation award and if I had it would have been trashed. My father made me box my bullies with gloves. I passed hunters safety course very young so I could bird dog on his hunts.

Yeah your a different breed I would say your the pit bull as a generation because you eat children.

You think that treatment was tough because you ate dirt as a kid and didn’t have to wear seatbelts as a child but can’t understand that your generation completely screwed us as adults fresh out of high school. I guessing your parents didn’t expect you to earn a living at five when nobody would hire you, expect you to live on your own with no jobs and mocked you for you inability to achieve leaving the nest at 5? To make matters worse getting unemployment during that time was impossible but I seem to remember my mother’s friend collecting social security disability for being a drunk and collecting a check for 1200 a month in the 80’s and 90’s your generation is completely out of touch with reality.
edit on 17-11-2019 by Veryolduser because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-11-2019 by Veryolduser because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 07:25 PM
link   

You think that treatment was tough because you ate dirt as a kid and didn’t have to wear seatbelts as a child but can’t understand that your generation completely screwed us as adults fresh out of high school. I guessing your parents didn’t expect you to earn a living at five when nobody would hire you, expect you to live on your own with no jobs and mocked you for you inability to achieve leaving the nest at 5? To make matters worse getting unemployment during that time was impossible but I seem to remember my mother’s friend collecting social security disability for being a drunk and collecting a check for 1200 a month in the 80’s and 90’s your generation is completely out of touch with reality.

So I was late having kids and I'm at the very end of the boomer years, and I'm not sure your point here. Tell me more about the age 5 thing...no clue to what you are talking about other than to suggest your boomer parents told you to work at age 5??? Getting unemployment during what time, I'm trying to follow you here..

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I did know a stripper they used to call boomer back in the seventies.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I was wrong ,apologies.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 11:01 PM
link   

So I was late having kids and I'm at the very end of the boomer years, and I'm not sure your point here. Tell me more about the age 5 thing...no clue to what you are talking about other than to suggest your boomer parents told you to work at age 5??? Getting unemployment during what time, I'm trying to follow you here..

Your trying to equate how hard you had it as a child in relation to how easy you feel it was for millennials. How does not wearing seltbelts and your parents laughing about you eating dirt the same as destroying millennials ability to get a job and move out of the house directly out of high school? Your assumption only works if your parents subjected you to the same treatment under the same Circumstances and you still came out ahead. I was just playing around with how to present the situation to you in a context you might understand.

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Almost 20 years of making fun of millennials and them being the source of the problem in the American work force and economy= Totally acceptable

Less than a year of a meme that says “ok boomer”= completely unacceptable ageism

Boy you guys can sure dish it out but can’t handle it back maybe if we give you back all the participation trophy’s it will be ok? Even liberals act less like snowflakes than boomers.

Day of the pillow = Soon
Assuming that boomers are only conservative ??? Where have you been ? I’m
At the tail end and I remember well the age of getting permission to wear jeans to school and designated smoking areas, yoga and health food, also rock music and so on. I was oblivious to Woodstock but I can tell you that was the age of rebellion against the “ plastic society”, the age of living in communes, and so on. It was the age of Kent State and Bill Ayers. So please don’t compare liberals to boomers because in many cases they are the boomers. It was leftist boomers who polluted the Universities with Marxist philosophy. Also you should know how many liberal boomers gAve up the hippie lifestyle to go into government and are now running this crazy Nanny State gambit. I happened to have been to a graduation in the state of Washington, a very liberal bastion, and I was shocked by the University staff speeches going on about how the university had taken the lands from indigenous peoples. I thought it was totally inappropriate for a graduation ceremony. Nothing like sending off the new graduates with a giant dose of guilt tripping, although likely the damage was already done for years.
edit on 18-11-2019 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Forums all the way. screw social media.

I don't think I count as a gen x because I am 36 though. But I don't feel 'Millennial'

Most boomers I know seem to be spending a crap ton on health care so yes I don't think the 'millennials' will be inheriting much.
Especially since most 'boomers' are divorced so their new younger wives take the money anyway.

a reply to: Zelun

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Your trying to equate how hard you had it as a child in relation to how easy you feel it was for millennials.

I said things were different you equated it to hard, I didn't and I see it as not hard, maybe that is my point...lol

How does not wearing seltbelts and your parents laughing about you eating dirt the same as destroying millennials ability to get a job and move out of the house directly out of high school?

Why can't you get a job? Both my boys got 12 bucks an hour out of high school while they do college. Why can't you get a job, can you add soemthing to that?

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 10:26 PM
link   
The rake and the pillow are sorely needed friend

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join