It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Is Why You Don't Succeed - Simon Sinek on The Millennial Generation

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Yet this guy can diagnose an entire generation based on his personal experiences and people lap it up as if it's gospel.

The irony is too much. 😂
edit on 11/16/2019 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Lol. The generational thing is such bs. I know plenty of fellow gen xers who still live in the eighties. Im 53 and my old man still rocks the 1950's do as i say, backwoods Kentucky attitude.

I spent 24 years in the Air Force...joined in 85. The old heads called us lazy, dumb, etc. When i retired in 2010....i was doing the same to the new kids. But so it went my whole career....the new kids were stupid dirtbags....till they proved themselves.

Millenials will prove themselves....both good and bad.....just like the rest of the generations.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Look at automation around that time. My old man worked at Honda in Ohio. Started in 85. Betcha 75% of those original workers were replaced by robots over the years.

a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

That's a fair point but it doesn't address the stagnant wages. In the 50's a man could work a job and provide for his entire family, easily. Where is that these days? Few and far between. Yet millennials are the entitled ones? Could have fooled me.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Sure it does. Why should Honda pay you when it can buy a robot to replace 10 people. It works 24/7, isnt sick, and doesnt want a retirement.

The post war boom required massive investment in people due to the processes being labor intensive. Labor intensive work is being replaced by R2D2 now.

Your gen is getting screwed by the very advances that were supposed to FREE us all.

ETA...its why you guys like bespoke stuff.

edit on 16-11-2019 by lakenheath24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 12:07 PM
link   

The "productivity" line also takes a sharp turn upward right around the time millennials were entering the workforce. "Lazy" my ass.

You might want to look up the definition of a millennial again. Based on your graph, millennials were barely old enough to be in the work force when it ends.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

Millennials were born from '81 to '96. The line takes a sharp turn upwards right around the time the first millennials were entering the workforce, which would be the late 90's/early 2000's.

I know what a millennial is, the first millennial would have entered the workforce around 1997 or 1998. Where do you see the line turn upwards? Because I see it turning upwards right around that time.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   

There is no sharp increase in the late 90's. There's a steady inrease of productivity dating back to 1975, six years before millennials were even born.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: putnam6

Yet this guy can diagnose an entire generation based on his personal experiences and people lap it up as if it's gospel.

The irony is too much. 😂

LOL the only thing worse than believing an op-ed piece on a youtube video is rationalizing it on a message board. All of it needs to be ignored and dropped like a hot potato, my ramblings especially LOL.

maybe we all just need our own personal Jesus.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 12:25 PM
link   

You must not see very good. Here, hopefully this will help you:

The black line is mine . Where do you see productivity start to rise above the "average" more than anywhere else? I know the line is "rough" but it gets the point across.

ETA: Here, I'll even circle it for you in case you still don't see it:

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I've got news for you. Your black line isn't straight. Pull out a ruler next time.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: recrisp

Is your child a disappointment?

Do you use videos like this to assure yourself that it's not your fault and your kid is just screwed up?

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I know a lot of idiot Boomers and Gen-xers; no doubt they've raised their children irresponsibly, but you can't blame all of today's problems on millennials. A middle class husband and wife both working full-time jobs make barely enough to pay the bills at the end of the month. Corporations throw people away like garbage. They demand tolerance while adopting "zero-tolerance" policies. They are unforgiving. Yet we collectively choose the convenience of one-stop shopping over local businesses.

So who is to blame? Every generation has its share of fools. Every generation has kicked the can down the road. The millennials will be the sink or swim generation, while the boomers and gen-x come to the abrupt realization that no one will be there to take the fall for their negligence anymore.

The dude in the video is full of crap. Not every millennial is a cell phone obsessed loser. You can't even extend that to the majority. I've seen just as many boomers and gen-xers glued to social media and Netflix as anyone else.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   
How in the heck anyone thought I was being derogatory when I only brought this up because I was trying to help BOTH sides see the other.
Personally, I saw the Millennials in a way that was more positive than a lot of people see them, I thought that the speaker was trying to convey that too. He actually said they 'were not responsible for their actions'... He was actually putting the blame on someone else, not a Millennial. I was only saying (in a sense) that WE all need to take some time to look at each other and see a possible reason why we are the way we are. Maybe I didn't explain that well enough.

How people can take an innocent thing and turn it into a negative thing is beyond me.

As a "boomer" I can take what is said about my generation, I know the bad that came from it, but there was also a LOT of good that came from it too. I was not pushing any blame on Millennials, I was actually saying that a lot of people might not realize that there are reasons that things can be how they are.

Scream and argue all y'all want, that was not my intention at all to make this a thread about negativity.
I am really shocked, or maybe I am just shocked to see people get upset over any little thing, nobody can discuss sensibly anymore, I guess. All generations, not just the ones above.

In my last thread I made I semi-jokingly said that I would never make another thread, I need to listen to my jokes more.
The negativity on this site is amazing!

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Boomers ruin stuff for shizzle.....just check out Beanie Babies for example.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I like to hire millennials, they understand new tech and I don't have to teach them what Salesforce is like some of the dinosaurs I interview. Plus they work hard owing to the massive amount of student debt they've accumulated getting a useless degree.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 01:58 PM
link   

So you're acting like you don't see it? Nice. It's straight enough to get my point across.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I see character flaws in people from all generations... It seems pretty equally distributed.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   

The speaker was essentially saying that millennials are mindless products of environment, with no ability to choose for themselves. He was being condescending and patronizing. The last thing I need anyone to tell me is that I was dealt a bad hand. That part is for me to evaluate. I've learned from my own mistakes, as well as those of my parents.

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Wow, a few minutes in and this dude is generalizing like crazy, using all the same old talking points we've been hearing for years now: participation trophies, feeling special, wanting free stuff, etc.

You think this is a new argument or has any merit other than vague generalizations and stereotypes? Okay boomer. I'm a millennial and so are all of my friends. Never once have I ever heard any of them cry about not getting a participation trophy or getting free food or whatever the hell else this guy thinks are valid arguments, just to put an entire generation into a prepackaged box.

The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree boomer. Maybe your generation is what led to this so-called "entitled" generation? Because like the guy says, people are a product of their environment. Who are the ones who created or at least helped to build the environment we have today? Hmmm.... maybe some self-reflection is in order. Which generation grew up in an environment that allowed an entire family to be provided for with only one paycheck? "Entitled"? Sounds like projection to me.

Lefty Boomers/X'ers created this. From Academia to parenting.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join