It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rural people are bad and make bad decisions

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck
a reply to: Notoneofyou

You sure opened a can of worms here, so I will add to it. Cost. What does it cost to run utilities to a sub division compared to a home ten miles out of town? Do they pay extra to run and maintain these rural services? Clearing snow through out town whats the cost compared to plowing 10 miles of road so a person can get to their rural home? Do they pay extra in taxes? No that would be unfair.

People in rural areas pay a higher tax on utilities.

In in the case of electricity, a higher transmission tax.

Clearing snow is a county expense that is payed by taxpayers through a property tax.

In my case, I don't pay for electricity, water, trash or sewage.

I plow my own road to where it comes out, a US highway.

I have a far lower carbon footprint and use far less resources then anyone who lives in a city.

To the OP, the man is an idiot.

I think enough of these people need to get together and just ban commerce with rural folks.

It would work out so well for the city dwellers, after all...

edit on 14-11-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I just love the whole people who live in rural areas are dumb as the sticks they live in, narrative. I live in a very small town in south west Virginia, called Galax. We're the home of folk music! I moved here from Fairfax VA, couldn't be more opposing.

There are people who may not be the best readers, or know anything of quantum theory. But those people could build you a home, grow you a garden, bring you meat, and overall survive. When I first moved here I had this idea that these people whom I now call my friends and neighbors, were Below me for their simple ways and aging logic. But it didn't take long to realize that I was the one thinking wrong, I was the one who needed to learn from these gracious people. I love being able to go in my back yard and shoot guns and build fires, there is no HOA, no one bitches if you forget to mow your grass, and most people don't give two sh*ts where your clothes came from. If I drove a 89 f-150 on 38s through Fairfax, people would run up and tell me how in 12 years we'll all be dead because of my truck. Here people just want to know where you got it from and what's in it. Anyway I'm rambling, but I do love this little town nestled in the foothills of the blue ridge. I've attached a picture of the new river which is about a one minute walk from my house. river

edit on 14-11-2019 by Oppositeoftruth because: Pic

edit on 14-11-2019 by Oppositeoftruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Oh the irony... on the site where right wingers rip on and name-call city folk daily (and entire states for that matter, California... anyone? anyone?). Another daily dose of ATS right wing hypocrisy. Classic.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: okrian
Oh the irony... on the site where right wingers rip on and name-call city folk daily (and entire states for that matter, California... anyone? anyone?). Another daily dose of ATS right wing hypocrisy. Classic.

I missed the part where conservatives called city dwellers deplorable, irredeemable bad-smelling Wal-Mart people that are subhuman and the only reason Trump won is because EVERYONE that is rural are just stupid people clinging to their bibles and their guns.

Let's face it... if the lights went out tomorrow rural people will do just fine and city dwellers will kill each other off.

If urban and rural stopped commerce the same applies.

You need us and we don't need you.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck
a reply to: Notoneofyou

You sure opened a can of worms here, so I will add to it. Cost. What does it cost to run utilities to a sub division compared to a home ten miles out of town? Do they pay extra to run and maintain these rural services? Clearing snow through out town whats the cost compared to plowing 10 miles of road so a person can get to their rural home? Do they pay extra in taxes? No that would be unfair.

What does it cost to run utilities to rural areas ? Most rural areas around here are Electric Co-Ops and they are not dependent on the larger utilities that service the cities. Rural electricity cost more for the consumer, yet both are subsidized by the taxpayers.

Snow removal is not much of a concern around my parts, but I would imagine one plow can take care of multiple rural areas whereas in an urban area it takes many more. What about police services, one Sheriff can patrol an entire parish or county but in the urban area, it takes hundreds and in the largest cities, thousands to patrol.

The bottom line evens out and the facts are that it takes both urban and rural areas to function, without one or the other it would fail and fail miserably. Perhaps the idiot from Berkeley will understand someday where the food on his table comes from, and a good cue would be, it ain't Costco buddy

And for the record....California is WAY more rural than it is urban...another low information voter they are always talking about
edit on 11/14/2019 by DJMSN because: corrections

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I'm in a somewhat rural area. It really is horrible.

The clean air, the scenery(all that organic stuff, where's all the concrete and garbage?), the helpful friendly people, the lack of gunshots and police sirens, low congestion on the roads, the general peace and quite, low crime, places to park. It's all so boring. If I was downtown I'd have none of the above but like 20 places to eat in a 5 block radius, that's quality of life right there.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Same here (except for electric) we have probably 15 guys within a 20 mile radius who have plow trucks.

We could wait for the town or county to get to it, but we just go and do it anyway. If you have to plow your drive, your out there anyway. Besides, once you finish your drive, you go hit the neighbors if it's not done already.
Less money the town has put in equipment repair means more money for the people who need help.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

I missed the part where conservatives called city dwellers deplorable, irredeemable bad-smelling Wal-Mart people that are subhuman and the only reason Trump won is because EVERYONE that is rural are just stupid people clinging to their bibles and their guns.

Let's face it... if the lights went out tomorrow rural people will do just fine and city dwellers will kill each other off.

Zombie movies are an anology of what would happen if society breaks down in that the zombies are the city folk and the surviving humans are rural folk.
edit on 14-11-2019 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Yeah, we might think it's a horrible way to live, but we aren't passing laws attempting to force you to live like we do, either. City folks, on the other hand, think that tent cities, needles, and feces on the streets is somehow an enlightened state of being and want to force rural folks to live like that.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Notoneofyou
a reply to: Lumenari

Same here (except for electric) we have probably 15 guys within a 20 mile radius who have plow trucks.

We could wait for the town or county to get to it, but we just go and do it anyway. If you have to plow your drive, your out there anyway. Besides, once you finish your drive, you go hit the neighbors if it's not done already.
Less money the town has put in equipment repair means more money for the people who need help.

Technically I paid for my electricity 12 years ago when I went solar/hydro.

Not connected to the grid though...

As for plowing, when I first moved in neighbors would just plow my road when they saw the sorry excuse for a plow I had.

After a few years, I got set up right and then now I plow for whomever needs it.

Paying it back and paying it forward.

I'll never live in a city again.

There are better people outside of them.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Zombie movies are an apology of what would happen if society breaks down in that the zombies are the city folk and the surviving humans are rural folk.

Kind of makes you wonder if zombie movies are just conditioning us for the next Carrington event...

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 08:43 PM
link   

"Deplorable"? That would be a compliment given how the right on ATS and Trump talk about the city folk/left.

Ohhhh, and I get it... you are referring to Hillary. I missed the part where leftists en masse said that. You seem to be confusing Hillary, a center-right corporatist (like Trump) that the leftists of the USA hated slightly less than Trump, as being an ambassador for the left. The difference is Trump actually is an ambassador for the right and the right sold out all of their "family values" to join Trump in low-grade trash talk (along with selling out a ton of other ideals).

Perhaps it's time to look around ATS again with open eyes. Or just keep up the shameful display of hypocrisy... either way.
I know the right on ATS loves a cherry picked story of ONE PERSON that they can apply to the entire left wing population.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: okrian

Haven't seen you around lately.........

It was kind of nice....

edit on 14-11-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 08:47 PM
link   

So you are saying that Hillary and Trump are the same... center-right corporatists.

And you say that I am confused.

You need an intervention.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 08:54 PM
link   

So you are saying that Hillary and Trump are the same... center-right corporatists.

And you say that I am confused.

You need an intervention.

Intervention???? I love interventions, I've hosted many.

The hookers, drugs and open bar......everyone has a good time.

Success rate is pretty low though, like zero percent. Still, can't say I don't put in the effort for them.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 08:55 PM
link   
The last time the social fascists rode through on their progressive train they made similar remarks about black people. In the modern day version rural conservatives are the new undesirables in their eyes. Commence with the redlining.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Rural people are typically independent, think for their own selves and do not unquestioningly submit to authority. Thus, rural people are dangerous. Rural people must be ostracized, marginalized and, if at all possible, done away with.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv
Rural people are typically independent, think for their own selves and do not unquestioningly submit to authority. Thus, rural people are dangerous. Rural people must be ostracized, marginalized and, if at all possible, done away with.

They also are usually more conservative and like that pesky 1 and 2a.

While they keep to themselves, they are obviously a very dangerous threat to the government(that wishes to exert maximum control).

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

And they have those guns which kill people all by themselves.

If the author in the OP gets his way, it will be Hunger Games... with an armed populace.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: PhilbertDezineck

Often times Rural people have their own well, so do not require municipal water. Weird that you think they put pipes out to all of the farms making food, but whatever. Very Starcraft of you. Property taxes pay for road plowing, I know many rural people who consider paying taxes as patriotic. It helps everyone. That's not to say they want to pay more to help urban people, and why should they? The taxes they pay should directly benefit them, and ease them from having to arrange similar services at a higher cost. What does that have to do with paying for inner city abortions? So do you see the disconnect?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join