It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Newest Fake Meat Is Made from Thin Air

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I really do not get this. It so very bizarre and confusing to me.

I don't know any meat eaters who go around looking for rib-eyes or pork chops or bacon that taste like parsnips or broccoli. If we want something tastes like parsnips or broccoli, we eat parsnips or broccoli. We don't create an entirely new bull**** market of made up food that tastes like the food that we've sworn not to eat.

Can somebody please explain?

And don't say that it's for people who want meat but can't eat meat. That's a tiny market and would not justify the R&D that goes into this stuff. This is being marketed to idiot vegans and vegetarians who are liars and hypocrites.

If you say you don't eat meat, then don't go around looking for stuff that tastes like the thing you say you don't eat.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

C02 meat? Will this save us from climate change? I hope not.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus
I wouldn't call it insanity as much as I would stupidity. The same as alcohol free beer. That is called Root-beer where I come from.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT
Didn't root beer traditionally have alcohol?

Just saying.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik
To my knowledge, not in my lifetime.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
To my knowledge, not in my lifetime.

A quick search shows written recipes exist from the mid 1800's, so yeah probably not in our liftime, but that just means somewhere along the line it was changed to non-alcoholic and everyone since then has been fine with it.

Also, root beer isn't really a barley and hop beer without the alcohol.

I guess in 150 years people will be clutching their CO2 patties when some other "meat" product is introduced.

edit on 13-11-2019 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 04:56 PM
link   
People don't eat enough mutton these days. That's the problem. In the early 20th Century, it was common. Now you can barely find it. Beef, chicken, pork. The Big Three.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

People don't eat enough mutton these days.

Maybe they should eat lamb instead?

www.thespruceeats.com...

You might be thinking that lamb and mutton are just different names for the same thing because they are both domestic sheep. While that seems to make sense, it isn't entirely correct. They have distinct differences, mainly in their age

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 06:00 PM
link   
So is this going to be a thing now?

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv
Not sure why it's so hard to understand? It's quite obviously marketed for people that choose not to eat meat, likely for their own ethical reasons. No one becomes a vegetarian because they don't like the taste of meat.

I get irritated by vegan activists as much as the next guy, not because there's anything wrong with choosing to be a vegan or a vegetarian, but because they can't keep to themselves about it. I'm a vegetarian that has no issues with others eating meat, and I for one would be interested in products such as the one in the OP as it could clearly be of benefit to me.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I will never understand the need to recreate a product that already exists. You can literally go down to any grocery store in America and buy actual meat. If you don’t eat meat why are you constantly trying to create fake versions of something you won’t eat? It’s insanity.

I hear this argument so often, and to this day, I still don't understamd it, or why anyone would care.

It may be for similar reasons people who don't want to consume alcohol drink non-alcoholic beer. Whether they're failed drinkers, just trying to be healthier, or maintaining the ability to drive safely and legally, I know people who will drink non-alcoholic beer because:
A) they like drinking beer (taste, nostalgia, etc.)
B) its part of the social process (i.e. having a beer together) - they can avoid being the weirdo and all but the biggest buffoons will respect that they just don't want to drink beyond the 0.035% or whatever it is.

With "fake burgers", I can easily think of reasons why people would want it that make perfect sense.

Someone wants a burger they can eat which doesn't run counter to their religious beliefs, or they don't want to be responsible for the killing of animals for food, or simply want what they believe to be a healthier, or less ecologically impactful alternative to a flavor, texture and format they enjoy (i.e. Beef Burgers.)

What's so hard to understand? There are people who like burgers but do not want to eat beef for a variety of reasons.

Anyhow, its painfully obvious to me at least some of the reasons why people who aren't going to eat meat would want to copy the taste and flavor as close as they can. I don't think they should be limited in the shape and preparation of the food they want to eat lol.

Personally, I wouldn't let one of those highly-processed estrogen cakes even pass thru my kitchen, but if dudes want moobs and people are willing to boost their estrogen, glyphosate exposure and cancer risk in pursuit of whatever their motivation for avoiding meat is, good for them.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Navieko

I know I read a lot of cyberpunk fiction that had vat grown foods as a main staple of a near future world.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I'm still waiting for the Sheet Meat or Franken-Meat that was supposed to come out a few years ago....
NBC News Franken Meat
edit on 13-11-2019 by Alchemst7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO
a reply to: machineintelligence

Did you say fermentation tanks?! I like this idea, alcohol out of air. 😁
I ate some bologna today that has been sitting out for about a week.
It tasted pleasantly boozy.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I wouldn't eat anything that came from San Francisco

no matter what it was made from.

especially the air there.

Gross....

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

This is being marketed to idiot vegans and vegetarians who are liars and hypocrites

I think you're wrong here. For one, vegans/vegetarians who don't like the taste of meat won't be eating this stuff. Secondly, the ones who don't mind the taste of meat are vegan because they don't want to contribute to the suffering of animals.

Therefore, in either case, none are hypocrites or liars.

don't create an entirely new bull**** market of made up food that tastes like the food that we've sworn not to eat.

They sworn not to eat it because the act of eating it may contribute to the suffering of animals. This air-meat does not. This market is for the niche vegans/vegetarians that still desire the taste of meat, but don't want to eat actual meat.

As long as it's healthy, why not?

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

How is it "insanity"? It's very simple. People don't want to contribute to hurting animals but still want that specific taste. Do you lose your mind over fruit-flavored candy too?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join