It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Petroglyph Trail in Gold Canyon Arizona

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I'm fortunate enough to live in Tempe, Arizona. Nearby are the legendary Superstition Mountains.

There is a moderate trail that leads to a little canyon. The sheer volume of marks and information here is breathtaking.
I took my two kids for a hike and it was a great day for us,

Gold Canyon is on the far east edge of the Phoenix Valley.

edit on 12-11-2019 by LedermanStudio because: add photo

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I was just looking at pics of these today. Great pics

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I'm jealous....very cool!

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Great pictures.

That looks like a fun hike

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: LedermanStudio

Bad ass! I could look at this kind of stuff all day trying to imagine
the message behind the effort. Thank you for sharing.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I'd love to sit out there at night.....I bet THAT is bad ass.....

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Fantastic!! Thanks for posting these. I love that kind of stuff - if I could start my life over, I'd do archeology/anthropology. Great exploration, you.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Were there many other people on the trail? Were there any defaced petroglyphs?

Social media can suck, in some cases.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Wow, those are some very cool hieroglyphs and lots of them. I’m jealous, I’ve never been to Gold Canyon. I lived in Phoenix for a lot of years and have done a lot of hiking in the Superstitions, such an awesome place. We stayed back in there a week one year, climbed a good part of Weavers Needle that year. At a certain time of year we’d hike in to the Apple Orchard and get a few apples. I believe it was Reavis Ranch it was about 10 mi in if I remember right.

Thanks for posting the pics, I would like to go back and see those someday.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

Petroglyphs.
[/pedant]

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Great thread on a great Arizonan landmark!

Buddy of mine is an anthropologist who works for the mining companies out in Globe and Superior and he finds stuff all the time on surveys. Arrowheads, Spearheads, bodies, couple months ago they were digging a line trench and found the remains of a Native American buried with all kinds of cool stuff.

All of it went back to the tribe.

The coolest thing is finding Civil War/1800's era stuff. One time he was hiking through the bush and he came across a pretty destroyed repeater rifle leaning up against a tree. It was rusted to hell and the wood was completely rotted but someone leaned their gun against a tree in the AZ desert and left it who knows when.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

I concur, excellent thread! I live in the area. Can’t wait to get out there.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

Please do. I would love to see more pics of the petroglyphs.
It’s heart breaking seeing the vandalism that has taken place across some of the more famous and ominous looking petroglyphs in that region.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   
There were a couple of others, not many.

I didn't see any defacing. Thankfully, the area looks pretty well cared for.

originally posted by: Phage
Were there many other people on the trail? Were there any defaced petroglyphs?

Social media can suck, in some cases.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I would love to find some artifacts, but I would feel a bit guilty for keeping them.

The story of the gun is awesome.

I know surveyors who have found some crazy things out in the desert.

In the area of Eloy, AZ, they found a ritual animal killing site ... Like satanic ritual stuff.

The Navajo park rangers have some really shocking stories as well.

a reply to: PraetorianAZ

edit on 13-11-2019 by LedermanStudio because: Typo

edit on 13-11-2019 by LedermanStudio because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I live in Goodyear, and my family and I like to hike the trails in the White Tanks area.

The petroglyphs there are very similar.

Maybe we take a trip to the other side of the valley to Gold Canyon and hike your trail. Then maybe hit up the Goldfield Ghost Town... make a nice day of it.

Cool pics!

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Actually it's called Hieroglyphic Trail or Petroglyph Trail depending on who you ask. Semantics.
I used to live a few miles from the trailhead but never explored it for some reason. I slightly remember it being off-limits years ago so that may have something to do with it.

There are many other trails nearby and yes they are pretty active and busy any time other than summer. I have spent a couple days hiking the Superstitions many times. Weavers needle is a cool spot. I hardly ever came across other people once you get off the easy trails and farther back into the wilderness. Theres no messing around out there as it's rough and easy to get lost.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Did you find the Lost Dutchman Mine?

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Heh, nobody has.a reply to: Blue Shift

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ
One time he was hiking through the bush and he came across a pretty destroyed repeater rifle leaning up against a tree. It was rusted to hell and the wood was completely rotted but someone leaned their gun against a tree in the AZ desert and left it who knows when.

This one?

www.cnn.com...

In a gravelly voice, it may recite a yarn of weary settlers swaying on horses' backs in the parched, rocky Nevada wilderness. It may talk about riding in a saddle holster across neighboring Utah more than a decade before it became a state of the union. Great Basin National Park workers found the Winchester Model 1873 propped against a tree in the desert in November.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join