It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rye Whiskey...Just a finger or two

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Rye whiskey is different than other whiskeys. Rye is made with, well, "rye" grain, whereas bourbon is made with corn, and scotch is made from malted barley (for the most part). Rye is a fairly unusual whiskey and it's an acquired taste, similar to good scotch. It's not sweet like bourbon, and it's not sour like Tennesse sour mash like Jack Daniels (which, incidentally, is NOT bourbon, though many think it is).

Rye hails from Pennsylvania originally, but many people think Rye is from Canada. There is a relation, they are both from the grain belt, and rye was a rotational crop. However, Rye whiskey is purely american; the Canadian versions of 'rye' contain numerous grains.

Rye is a dry whiskey, and it has a bite. The bite is similar to scotch on the first sip, but a little more "dry" (not sure how to describe this).

Rye whisky has been around for a long time, but now it's very difficult to find. Most of what you find now is somewhat trendy and expensive (but not like scotch, crazy expensive).

Rye doesn't blend well with mixers; it's better taken straight, to enjoy the flavors of the rye.

Rye is a bit of an unsung hero in the whiskey world. Granted, I'm a big scotch fan, but a nice rye every now and then is very nice so I usually have a bottle on hand for a finger or two.

If you've never tried rye, I would strongly recommend it. Just don't expect it to taste like any other whiskey you've had.

Thanks! And, enjoy!

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I worked for a Distillery for 5 years main focus was 100% Rye MmMmMm now I Own a Rum Company.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I drank whiskey and rye, once...

We all started singing "this will be the day that I die..."

It was WEIRD...

edit on 12-11-2019 by madmac5150 because: dots and brackets added

edit on 12-11-2019 by madmac5150 because: My Chevy, was down by the dry levee

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ATruGod

I like rum, but I can't say I've ever gotten into it, like as a connoisseur. Rum all tastes pretty much the same to me, very sweet and some spiced with cloves and what have you. Rum tastes nice on the beach in a tropical drink, but I think the tropical drink really just covers the rum.

I really liked Bacardi 151, but they killed that because of all the idiots. I used to fly down to Puerto Rico all the time and pick up gallons of that stuff for special occasions. Those days are gone now. After that, I pretty much gave up on rum.

Though, I do have to say, I tried some Kraken a few weeks ago and that was pretty good. Just the right amount of spice without being too overwhelming like Capt. Morgans.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I think I'll buy a bottle of rye next time I'm at the store. I've always avoided it, for some reason.

Bulleit seems to be the most prominent rye around here for a "smaller" distillery.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 09:55 PM
link   

I drank through all the rums around here a few years back(because I drank all the scotch and whiskies most of the liquor stores had) Rum has all the "nuance" of whisky if you buy smaller batch/distillery/local options. One thing I like is that even a "rare" or "expensive" bottle of rum rarely seemed to eclipse 50 bucks(for a 750). Overall though it's just a sweeter/smoother taste than whisky. Seemed like less complexity and all "cost" got you was smoothness and "cleaner" flavors(like brandy).

Overall though I moved off of Rum and Brandy after drinking through everything the locals stores had. Not because it's bad, but I just never developed a preference for it and made it a staple drink.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Bulliet is not bad rye, actually. I mean sure, if you can lay your hands on a bottle of "Old Overholt-Straight Rye" that's going to be pretty darn good too.

Are we still enemies?

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: MisterSpock

Bulliet is not bad rye, actually. I mean sure, if you can lay your hands on a bottle of "Old Overholt-Straight Rye" that's going to be pretty darn good too.

Are we still enemies?

You spend too much time out in the fields with the cows, you just don't get sarcasm(atleast not mine).

Around here, there is only ever like 4 or 5 ryes on the shelf(compared to 50 plus bourbons and usually 30 plus scotch selections).

Maybe that's why I avoid it, no selection usually tells me it's not popular or embodies a specific niche that I'm not to be part of(never was one of the cool kids).

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Perhaps one day we might crack open the Pappy Van Winkles 23 year old Family Reserve, bourbon (and I've had it for 10 years more). I like bourbon too much to even open it and try it! (there's a story behind that).

You've posted so many really nice scotches, most I've never tried, some I have.

I always just have to ask myself if I want fuel for my boat (which I don't own yet), or a bottle of scotch. I'm thinking the 43' Carolina Custom Open sportfish and a cheaper bottle of scotch might be acceptable, but maybe I've erred.

It's getting near retirement, you know!

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Perhaps one day we might crack open the Pappy Van Winkles 23 year old Family Reserve, bourbon (and I've had it for 10 years more). I like bourbon too much to even open it and try it! (there's a story behind that).

You've posted so many really nice scotches, most I've never tried, some I have.

I always just have to ask myself if I want fuel for my boat (which I don't own yet), or a bottle of scotch. I'm thinking the 43' Carolina Custom Open sportfish and a cheaper bottle of scotch might be acceptable, but maybe I've erred.

It's getting near retirement, you know!

I'd never turn down a nice bottle of whisky, or withhold one(or scotch). I have an excellent memory and I remember years back telling you of my uprooting and offer to be a ranch hand. Then I made an, obvious to me, joke about hitting on your wife. You got all worked up about that, that was the first time you seriously misunderstood my humor(not trying to be a hurt about it, just the first in the long line of what I've seen as your complete lack of sense of humor....
...atleast my sense of humor.

Point?

It's all worth sharing and having a good time, with whomever/whatever/whenever. I have a bottle I've been holding for a "special" time(for myself), but I'd crack it open at the slightest hint of having some decent company. It's just things, just a good drink.

I have to warn you, I'm winding down and might load up the old pickup truck full of cigars, scotch and horrible self deprecating humor. Don't draw attention to yourself(or reveal your location). Lest that pickup of horror come a rumbling down your driveway one day.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 07:33 AM
link   

I keep a bottle of Overholt (nicknamed 'Overpour' in the bar world) and Rittenhouse for cocktails and some better ones for sipping.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Ummm...I drink Jim Beam Rye quite a bit...very good...they have a pre prohibition rye as well that's a tad stronger in flavor...

I had a chance to sample some Whistle Pig rye the other day that my daughter bought...that was very tasty as well although at 50% or 98 proof it was potent...

I prefer a Rye to bourbon...I'm not a scotch imbiber...but the only scotch I've ever tried is Pinch and...it is definitely an acquired taste sort of thing...

YouSir

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: ATruGod

I worked for a Distillery for 5 years main focus was 100% Rye MmMmMm now I Own a Rum Company.

Ummm...you own a rum company...?

You are a true God...

YouSir

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I am not a Rye drinker, my normal drink of choice is Crown Royal.
I prefer Crown Black or regular but they make a Rye that is not bad.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 05:24 PM
link   

like rum, but I can't say I've ever gotten into it, like as a connoisseur. Rum all tastes pretty much the same to me, very sweet and some spiced with cloves and what have you. Rum tastes nice on the beach in a tropical drink, but I think the tropical drink really just covers the rum.

I really liked Bacardi 151, but they killed that because of all the idiots. I used to fly down to Puerto Rico all the time and pick up gallons of that stuff for special occasions.

If you haven't, I suggest trying Brugal Añejo, from the Dominican Republic. It actually quite cheap, and very smooth, for what it is, even better and smoother than some of the Puerto Rican rum I had when I as there. Bacardi is cheap and harsh.
I have some Don Pancho 18 year Reserve, as well as some Bavaro Black I got in the DR, and the Brugal blows them all away, IMO.

I can go for a good scotch, but never really got into Bourbon. I can't stay I've straight rye, but a good sipping tequila is nice, like Casamigos Añejo or 1800 Añejo.

top topics

join