It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voyager 2 Illuminates Boundary of Interstellar Space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I've been wondering when some information would come out about this.

JPL

One year ago, on Nov. 5, 2018, NASA's Voyager 2 became only the second spacecraft in history to leave the heliosphere - the protective bubble of particles and magnetic fields created by our Sun. At a distance of about 11 billion miles (18 billion kilometers) from Earth - well beyond the orbit of Pluto - Voyager 2 had entered interstellar space, or the region between stars. Today, five new research papers in the journal Nature Astronomy describe what scientists observed during and since Voyager 2's historic crossing.

This has been exciting for me to watch as I've been following the space program since as early as I can remember.

The two Voyager spacecraft have now confirmed that the plasma in local interstellar space is significantly denser than the plasma inside the heliosphere, as scientists expected. Voyager 2 has now also measured the temperature of the plasma in nearby interstellar space and confirmed it is colder than the plasma inside the heliosphere.

The magnetic field in the region just beyond the heliopause is parallel to the magnetic field inside the heliosphere

So, we have crossed interstellar space. What's next? Will ever be able to leave low earth orbit?

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Most interesting OP.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

The United States now has 2 spacecraft in interstellar space.

We set that course 42 years ago when we were motivated, educated, and willing to take risks in the name of planting the flag before the other guys.

We need some more of that to really get "what's next".

I believe Lunar colonization should be next. We're devoting entirely too much time and resources Mars exploration and colonization when the Moon makes the most logical sense and would be far more cost-effective as a step to Mars. Right now, I believe space exploration efforts and the exploitation of the heavenly bodies have no effective direction and many of these efforts, when aggregated, seem almost random and without a specific purpose.

I believe American space-related efforts cannot be solely dominated by military assets and policy or that of purely commercial interests. We need a more focused international purpose. That's a "PLAN B" policy of building a robust Lunar colony in this century. I believe the United States and her people are uniquely positioned to lead the way in space exploration and colonization, and we should be taking the reins as the leaders in space technology and exploration.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

back when the original space programs were pioneered was a time when America wasn't laser focused on becoming the next Jeff Bezos but was instead interested in pursuing something greater than the next house or jet

we need to be willing to see a greater purpose then self aggrandizement and the ultimate pursuit of material wealth over literally everything else including chaperoning the planet for the next generations

we need to become dare devils and risk takers again with big dreams

This is why I'm a huge fan of Elon Musk, because he represents more than just a rich guy in a suit
edit on 11-11-2019 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 08:56 PM
link   
That dude could dig holes for fence posts with his chin.

new topics

top topics

join