It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horror Movies from an Elitist

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Okay, so I am a horror movie snob....I admit it. I have been exposed to horror movies since I was a toddler. My children have been raised similarly. It takes a lot to scare me (good luck with that). I prefer movies that really know how to mess with your mind and have a deeper psychological context. I hate movies that are predictable and cliche, especially in the horror genre.

I'm always looking for a good horror movie... Bonus points if it is an Indie flick or international film. If you have some good suggestions, please post them! Explain why you think this is a great movie (without spoiling it).

A few horror movies that I would recommend, in no particular order:

Exorcist (1973) - probably the mother of all horror movies
Jaws (1975)
1408 (2007)
Aliens (1986)
The Descent (2005)
Saw (2004)
The Others (2001)
Get Out (2017)
Frailty (2001)
Poltergeist (1982)
Se7en (1995)
Gerald's Game (2017)
The Grudge (2004)

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: CIAGypsy

Dawn of the Dead (1978)
The Thing (1982)
Cube (1997)
Evil Dead (1981)

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   
This...

Not a big budget film, but it makes up for it in other ways. You'll see...

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 06:31 PM
link   

The best 2019 horror movies I have seen so far this year have been Midsommar, Ready or Not and Crawl with an honorary mention to Mandy.

I watch almost exclusively horror and sci fi when it comes to movies. I became addicted as a 7 year old child when my parents took me to see The Exorcist at the drive-in on its premiere and I haven't slowed down since!

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

Dawn of the Dead (1978)
The Thing (1982)
Cube (1997)
Evil Dead (1981)

I loved Evil Dead and debated about whether to put it on the list above....same with The Thing. Both good movies....

Never heard of the Cube. I will look it up! Thanks!

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Looks interesting... I don't care if it isn't big budget. And if it is done properly, it won't matter...
I look forward to watching it!

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

The best 2019 horror movies I have seen so far this year have been Midsommar, Ready or Not and Crawl with an honorary mention to Mandy.

I watch almost exclusively horror and sci fi when it comes to movies. I became addicted as a 7 year old child when my parents took me to see The Exorcist at the drive-in on its premiere and I haven't slowed down since!

Greetings to a fellow Elitist!
My husband really wants to watch Crawl but we haven't seen it yet. I was skeptical... Looks like the Alligator version of Sharknado....ha ha. What about it made you like it (if you can share without spoilers)?

Haven't heard of the other two but they look interesting....

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   
You'll like this: The Descent (2005)

And this: Don't Breath (2016)

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: CIAGypsy

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Greetings to a fellow Elitist!
My husband really wants to watch Crawl but we haven't seen it yet. I was skeptical... Looks like the Alligator version of Sharknado....ha ha. What about it made you like it (if you can share without spoilers)?

Haven't heard of the other two but they look interesting....

As you can imagine I've seen every kind of alligator/crocodile movie you can imagine and Crawl was the best I have ever seen.I also was very skeptical but tried it out on a rainy, boring weekend and was pleasantly surprised. I would love to describe but it would give too much away I think- better you see for yourself. It is well worth your time! Midsommar is long- 2 1/2 hours- but well worth the time. Slow to start and all in bright daylight but extremely strange and has some great surprises! Ready or Not is pure horror movie fun with a twist, and I found it to be lovely. Mandy is weird and bloody with Nicholas Cage at his strangest (also has the guy who played King Egbert on Vikings as a weird, musician/cult leader.

Try them out! As a fellow horror aficionado I believe you will have a good time!

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Yes, loved the Descent. It pleasantly surprised me... Didn't care for Descent Part 2 at all. They should have stopped after the 1st one....

Don't Breathe. Hmm....I wasn't enamored with that movie. It jumped the "too unrealistic" shark. Now, I know that many horror movies are super unrealistic....there's a fine line between unrealistic and just believable enough to tolerate the entertainment value of the movie. Maybe it's in the writing, I don't know. But Don't Breathe had too much of a stretch to me....
edit on 11-11-2019 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I can point to certain movies that, to me, are simply classic. They are the type of movie I could watch 100 times and love just as much as I watched them the first time! Like Fight Club. Loved Fight Club....

It's very hard to find a HORROR movie that fits that mold.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Hell yah ..Horror, thanks for making this thread!

Obviously being a horror fan I have seen all the ones listed so far and can't argue with any. Fangoria and Rue Morgue have had a few different articles in the past about is Se7en a horror film but I always considered it borderline horror because while it doesn't have any of the standard requirements for traditional horror it's certainly has horrible things in it.

Im more of an underground horror fan so if you want to plumb the depths of depravity you can hit the following. Leaving a lot off on this list but when friends come to me on horror film suggestions I usually roll these out there.

NO IMDB LISTINGS AS I DONT WANT TO CORRUPT OTHERS LOL
Megan Is Missing (Im not a parent and this was tough to watch, if you are a parent it's probably horrible)
August Underground Series (dont watch these if you dont like violence. Imagine Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer on Steroids)
Martyr(s) (not the horrible PG American remake. The original was a truly thought provoking film IMO)
A Serbian Film (not pleasant but not worth the Internet Legend Status it has gotten. YOu have whole clips of people reacting to watching it on YouTube)
Inside (solid film)
HauteHigh Tension (I wasn't annoyed by the reveal but I get why some people were)
Irreversible (as much a horror as Se7en is)
Antichrist (ugh)

Some more accessible recent horror films if things like the above are not appealing..

IDMB LINKS ALSO

Train to Busan (Korean Zombie movie which is pretty damn enjoyable and adds a bit of a new feel to the genre) - www.imdb.com...?ref_=nv_sr_1

The Wailing (Another highend Korean film, a bit of a time investment but worth it) www.imdb.com...

The VVitch (more of a slow burn period piece) www.imdb.com...?ref_=nv_sr_1

Hereditary (pretty much near the top of every Horror list for the past year also same writer/director as Midsommar) www.imdb.com...?ref_=nv_sr_1

Get Out (Really solid premier from Jordan Peele) www.imdb.com...?ref_=nv_sr_1

It Comes At Night (more of about the horror that humans can do to each other) www.imdb.com...?ref_=nv_sr_1

It Follows (something different!) www.imdb.com...?ref_=nv_sr_1

As Above, So Below (allegory for Dante's Inferno and some solid scenes) www.imdb.com...?ref_=nv_sr_1

I'll keep adding more later.. =)

edit on 11-11-2019 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Have you seen dark skies with Kerri Russel?

m.imdb.com...

I wouldn't say it's exactly horror ,but an underated scifi film that you might like based on your list.

Also the forgotten was good
m.imdb.com...
edit on 561130America/ChicagoMon, 11 Nov 2019 19:56:47 -0600000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Not sure if these two count , but i did like Event Horizon, and Pandorum.

Sci-fi horror stuff.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Wow....that's a lot to go through! ha ha....

Megan is Missing - never watched this one but I remember my son talking about how disturbing it was.

Haven't seen or heard any of the others you listed at the top (No IMDB Listings) but I shall look them up.

The VVitch - I hated this movie. Thought it was terrible and did not live up to the hype. No offense....

Hereditary - I would have given this movie a B or B-. It wasn't terrible but could have been better. Kind of like "Goodnight Mommy" or "Mama"....both of which weren't terrible either.

Get Out - loved this movie. It was on my list of recommendations. Very well done!

It Follows - I think I've seen this before but remember absolutely nothing about it.

As Above, So Below - as a practitioner of esoteric wisdom, I had high hopes for this movie. Was sorely disappointed....

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

Have you seen dark skies with Kerri Russel?

m.imdb.com...

I wouldn't say it's exactly horror ,but an underated scifi film that you might like based on your list.

Also the forgotten was good
m.imdb.com...

Yes, on Dark Skies. I did enjoy that movie!

Forgotten - not sure about this one.... I'll have to look into it.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Notoneofyou
Not sure if these two count , but i did like Event Horizon, and Pandorum.

Sci-fi horror stuff.

I saw Event Horizon at the theater when it came out. I wasn't enamored with it.... Felt it could have been better. I would have rated it a solid 'C' though

Haven't heard of Pandorum....will need to look into that one.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: CIAGypsy
a reply to: opethPA

Wow....that's a lot to go through! ha ha....

Megan is Missing - never watched this one but I remember my son talking about how disturbing it was.

Haven't seen or heard any of the others you listed at the top (No IMDB Listings) but I shall look them up.

The VVitch - I hated this movie. Thought it was terrible and did not live up to the hype. No offense....

Hereditary - I would have given this movie a B or B-. It wasn't terrible but could have been better. Kind of like "Goodnight Mommy" or "Mama"....both of which weren't terrible either.

Get Out - loved this movie. It was on my list of recommendations. Very well done!

It Follows - I think I've seen this before but remember absolutely nothing about it.

As Above, So Below - as a practitioner of esoteric wisdom, I had high hopes for this movie. Was sorely disappointed....

All good!! The thing about films in general is different things appeal to different people.

Let me know if any particular style of horror film appeals to you and I could probably list five or ten similar for you to check out.

Of the "normal" ones I listed I would Def see Train to Busan.. Solid zombie action film.

Of the make you cringe movies on the top list I would go Martyrs but just be prepared for what you are getting yourself into. It's not really scary just.. Horrible.
edit on 11-11-2019 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 08:30 PM
link   

I'm really into Lovecraftian horrors. Evil Dead falls in that category, but some other good ones are Event Horizon (1997) and The Void (2016).

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 09:22 PM
link   
For some reason event horizon has always intrigued me.

It's a good movie, but the underlying principle just seems so dark and possibly actually possible?

I don't know, maybe it's just sam neil. Either way, great show and has a nice dark tone to it that's always rewatchable.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join